• September 23, 2018, 01:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Sentence credit  (Read 1432 times)

Offline megdan52

Sentence credit
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am new here, my husband is in R&C Stateville awaiting transfer to hopefully a minimum security.  My questions is, if he got 7 years at 50% with a NON VIOLENT class x, can he be awarded any good time, or time earned from participating in any classes?  Thank you.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Sentence credit
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
Welcome to IPT.

Your husband will have to do 3 1/2 years and will not be eligible for any program sentence credit because of the Class X conviction.  He may be eligible for 1-6 months of the Supplement Sentence Credit, but he won't know that until he has been in the system for awhile, it all depends on his conviction/history/behavior while inside now.

He can still take classes/programs, he just won't get anytime off his sentence for taking them.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline megdan52

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:44:13 PM »
Thank you... I was afraid of that. 

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
I've sent a letter to the governor, asking him to consider directing the DOC Director to stop being so stingy with the credits and making Supplemental Sentence Credit and Program Sentence Credit less discretionary and awarded according to the Illinois General Assemblies guidelines. I worded it much better than that. With the overcrowding in prisons and the underfunding issue, it makes sense and is something that he can do. If he will is a whole other matter, it doesn't hurt to put it out there anyway.

If anybody else feels like sending a letter, email or message - I think it would help to have our voices heard, it certainly can't hurt.
He's home!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »
The legislation would have to be changed first tkesde1.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”