• February 23, 2019, 09:45:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: New Legislation HB1310 Early Release  (Read 15335 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
New Legislation HB1310 Early Release
« on: February 10, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »

New Legislation brought forward by Art Turner 2/2/2015

HB #1310

Bill Status of HB1310  99th General Assembly
  Full Text  Votes  View All Actions  Printer-Friendly Version

Short Description:  CD CORR-EARLY RELEASE

House Sponsors
Rep. Arthur Turner

Last Action
Date   Chamber          Action
  2/3/2015   House   Referred to Rules Committee

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance

730 ILCS 5/3-3-2   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-3-2
   730 ILCS 5/3-3-3   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-3-3
   730 ILCS 5/3-6-3   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-6-3
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1   from Ch. 38, par. 1005-8-1
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.4 new   
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.5 new   
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.6 new   
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.7 new   

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Provides that a committed person who is at least 55 years of age and who has served at least 25 consecutive years of imprisonment in a Department of Corrections institution or facility may petition the Prisoner Review Board for participation in the Sentence Modification Program. Provides that the Department of Corrections shall review the criminal history of the petitioner and the petitioner's conduct while incarcerated in a facility or facilities of the Department of Corrections and shall administer a risk assessment and medical, psychological, and psychiatric assessments of the petitioner before submitting the petition to the Board. Provides that no more than 100 committed persons shall be allowed to participate in the Program. Provides that the conditions of the Program shall include 15 hours of weekly community service approved by the Board. Twenty percent of the money earned by the participant in the Program shall be deducted from the participant's wages and donated by the administrator of the Program to a victim's organization. Provides that a committed person who is serving a sentence, including one who has not yet served the minimum term of the sentence, who is diagnosed as suffering from a terminal condition so as to render the committed person likely to live less than 9 months may be released on medical parole to a hospital, hospice, other licensed inpatient facility, or suitable housing accommodation as specified by the Board. Provides that the Department of Corrections shall review first-time non-violent offenders to determine their eligibility for the Sentence Modification Program. Provides that to be eligible for the Program, the committed person must be a first time non-violent offender. Provides that the Department shall review the criminal history of the offender and the offender's conduct while incarcerated in a facility or facilities of the Department of Corrections. Provides that the Department shall administer a risk assessment and medical, psychological, and psychiatric assessments of an offender before admission into the Program. Provides that an offender who meets the criteria established by this provision and the Department shall be considered by the Department for a reduction of up to 40% of his or her sentence.

Actions
Date   Chamber    Action
  2/2/2015   House   Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Arthur Turner
  2/3/2015   House   First Reading

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=1310&GAID=13&SessionID=88&LegID=85794

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline trauma4us

Re: New Legislation HB#1310 Early Release
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
WOW!!!!  This is huge!

Unfortunately for my son, he is convicted of a violent Class X offense and unless they knock down the truth in sentencing laws he has to serve 85% of his sentence.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »

HB1310  2/17/2015   House   Assigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee

It's time to contact your representatives now about this bill.

Representative Turner is revising the bill for Truth in Sentencing.

If you are interested in getting involved and possible attend news conferences, etc. PM me or Bill Ryan for more information.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline precious angel

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:09:32 AM »
I, too agree with trauma4us. This bill is a big deal but with the truth in sentencing stuck its not gonna help most of us at all. My fiance is currently serving 85% for a plea deal as a first time offender class 1 violent charge and sad to say his wife set him up and the law enforcements are in her family that helped with this. I do pray that one day the truth in sentencing would be eliminated or at least someone review the first time violent offenders cases. Thats all we can do is pray cuz no one will ever listen I don't feel anyways.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »
TIME TO GET INVOLVED, start by calling your State Reps and letting them know you support this new legislation!!!!

Art Turner (D-9)introduced HB 1310 as first  installment of New Beginning legislation.

This  package will begin to  address prison overcrowding, reduce costs, and increase security.

Legislation  includes HB 1310 a pilot project for 100 elder prisoners who have reached 55 and served 25 consecutive years. DOC will select 100 offenders and refer to  Parole Board for parole plan. victims families can participate in process that includes risk assessment and testing.Restorative justice services will be offered.Parole plans may include participation in community services   Each elderly offender costs $75.000 a year to warehouse.

HB 291  modifies appointment of special prosecutor in light of what happened in Ferguson.

A  bill revising truth in sentencing will also be part of new beginning.

Tuner is expected to have a full public announcement in few weeks and is seeking bipartisan support.

A  press conference announcing legislation soon. Details will follow.

Please contact legislators NOW, telling them to support and ask everyone you know to help support by doing the same !!

Thanks
Bill Ryan

Offline sonshine

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
This is awesome!!!!!

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 09:16:19 AM »
If you are unsure of who your State Rep is, you can use this link to find out by just entering your zip code.

Your State Rep will come up and you can click on their name for contact information.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Offline humbird37

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »
Can I, or would it even be helpful for me to contact anyone in Il., since I live in Kentucky?
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline precious angel

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 02:56:15 AM »
Thank you everyone for the website and for the info listed it was very helpful! Thank You! As for humbird37. I do not see why you couldn't? You are helping a love one out by doing so. I would still and might have to go with the county your love one is currently in.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: New Legislation HB1310 Early Release
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 10:08:22 AM »

This bill is moving along

2/2/2015   House   Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Arthur Turner
  2/3/2015   House   First Reading
  2/17/2015   House   Assigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee
  2/25/2015   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Filed with Clerk by Rep. Arthur Turner
  2/25/2015   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Referred to Rules Committee

Offline precious angel

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 11:18:28 PM »
Glad to see the bill is moving!!!! That is great news!! I have clicked on the website given to contact the state representative of the county where I live and so far I have not heard a word from him. Mr. Schock is who I contacted and now he is in the news about repaying some money back? I don't think I will be hearing anything from him like saying, "thank you for your input and as a citizen I will be more than glad to help out with getting this bill passed." Or something to that nature. I will keep my eyes out on this forum for further updates.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:12 AM »
Yeah Aaron Schock is my rep too and yep he has some bigger problems then us! 

Offline sonshine

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:07 AM »
We would probably be amazed at some of the things PEOPLE higher up are in to...

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »
Yeah Aaron Schock is my rep too and yep he has some bigger problems then us! 

Aaron Schock is a Congressman, you have to go state level, State Rep. in your district.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
From the link you provided, this is what I got:

The representative for this district is:
Aaron Schock
Republican

I thought he was a Representative?

"Aaron Jon Schock is the United States Representative for Illinois's 18th congressional district, serving since 2009. He is a member of the Republican Party. The district is based in Peoria and includes part of Springfield. Wikipedia"

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »
Aaron Schock is your congressman who represents you in Washington DC. You need the rep for the General Assembly that meets in Springfield at the capital. I Googled Peoria's district, it is the 92nd. It says the house rep is Jehan Gordan-Booth. Hope this helps.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 08:04:57 AM »

Click on this link, and then on the Senate/House Members, click ... their Districts are listed, call that State Rep for your district, they are the ones that vote on these bills.

http://www.housedem.state.il.us/GeneralAssembly.htm

Offline precious angel

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 03:02:40 AM »
From what I am understanding is that even these bills pass not only its going to be in a 10 yr span to release inmates and not only that but from the county I used to live in which is St. Clair County Illinois. The county jail is way over crowded already and cannot move people out into the state prisons due to them being over crowded. What makes it all worse the State Attorney Brenden Kelley just made an announcement that all sexual abuse and criminal abuse cases will be taken up to trial date which means more people are going to be falsely accused, arrested, and over crowd the jail more.

We already have a problem with that with the state prisons. Someone needs to really recheck their bill and be focused on county jails too because thats where it all begins and all it is going to be is a continuous vicious cycle.  All of us who are waiting patiently for our loved ones to be released from state prisons are having smoke blown in our faces and being told this bill passes will help out state prisons in reality its not helping anyone. Its easier to pass bills than it is to release inmates that are young and have families who tried all they can do to fight to keep their innocent loved ones out of jail. State of Illinois is so poor right now that nothing will help and crime will keep being on a rise. Plus State of Illinois has one of the strictest laws when it comes to felonies, no matter if its class 1,2,3,4 or x. No more innocent till proven guilty nor does there have to be solid or any hint of evidence to convict a person with a felony anymore. Before you know it just yelling at someone will put u in jail. I just read earlier on a news app that a trash man has to serve a 30 day sentence in county jail just for picking up trash too early! Really? Is this how our Judicial system running? Thats not good!!!! He won't be able to hold a steady job nor get that job back due to his record now I bet.

My biggest concern is for my fiance who has pleaded guilty to a class 1 due to not able to have more time for to prepare for a trial due to prior judge locked in trial date months after he retired and another judge preceded over my fiance's case. Now how is he going to be able to get rehabilitated and work in a normal work place when he has been in jail for 4 yrs then goesto state prison to serve another 15yrs at 85%? Even with him doing construction classes and learning more about construction work than he already knows and yet does anyone think he will get hired when he gets out at age 50? Probably not! Which makes me mad at the system because he is innocent and the system failed him!!! With the Republicans and Democrats not willing to come to a reasonable measure on anything in our state then how can these bills help out? I feel they are playing games and the inmates are their guinny pigs and not gonna do a single thing especially if if its over a 10 yr span to reduce the population of state prisons, the governor and legislators are in a world of fantasy than reality.

I thought its a great idea for this bill to pass and it may well still be but again over a 10 yr span to correct things and add more guards into each prison, better the healthcare to the inmate but take away medicaid from those who cannot afford medical insurance? Yet us tax payers have to pay $10,000+ per inmate per year? We as taxpayers alone struggling to just make ends meet without our loved ones with us to work and help pay bills. How is this fair to some of those inmates who sit in prison are innocent and wrongfully accused and nobody to even listen. I have even tried to contact the governor about my fiance's case to see about getting him exonerated and all I get is a case number assigned and its been a month and still have not heard anything yet from his office on what is going on if they are gonna check I to it. I'm just so frustrated with this state on how its being ran and how everyone is being treated its sad. Real sad.

Now this being said someone please shed some light onto this and tell me I'm wrong and that everything I said and read with what our governor wants to do and what our State of Illinois is trying to do will benefit everyone and that our loved ones.  Where the inmates can still live a normal working life without some kind of charge or have to register with the state of illinois for charges they did not commit!!! Please tell me someone is working on fixing our corrupted State Judicial System, and over crowded jails and prisons? Can anyone do that? Probably not, but I will be surprised if so.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 07:17:39 PM »

. Quakes support hb 1310

Urbana-Champaign Friends Meeting
1904 East Main Street
Urbana, IL 61802
16 March 2015

Dear Committee Members:

We are writing you to encourage support of HB1310, which calls for the creation of a sentencing modification program, similar to the federal compassionate release program. Under the measure, offenders a least 55 years old, who have served at least 25 consecutive years in a Department of Corrections facility, would be eligible to petition the Prisoner Review Board to participate in the program.

In addition, prisoners who are terminally ill, and expected to live less than 9 months, would be eligible for Medical Parole. This would apply to any terminal individual in a DOC facility, even if they have not served their minimum sentence.

This bill will move the state in the direction of recognizing that prisoners are capable of rehabilitation. Furthermore, research shows that individuals released from prison after age 50 are unlikely to commit further crimes.

As Quakers we have a long history of advocating for the humane treatment of prisoners and for their rehabilitation. We feel that this bill would be an important step in that direction.

Sincerely,

Ann Lowry, Clerk
Urbana-Champaign
Friends Meeting

Offline Sunidaze67

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:17 AM »
Gizgirl2
I can tell you from personal experience that Jehan Gordon will not return your calls, take your calls or answer email and snail mail.  I've been trying to contact her for the past few years about IDOC and get nothing. 

Just a heads up. 
Suni

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.