• October 21, 2018, 10:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Questions  (Read 7770 times)

Offline maggie1912

Securus Questions
« on: January 01, 2015, 11:24:55 PM »
 Does anyone know a better way to save on phone calls?? in the last 3 weeks I spend over 200 dollars on phone calls.. seriously some times he could only talk for 8 minutes and i get charged  4 dollars.I'm not rich nor do I make crazy money but I go crazy if I don't talk to him. . I  looked  online yet I can 't find anything... i just need a way to safe money we talk a lot because I can't go see him... his in Illinois River Correctional Center any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Securus Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:18:32 AM »

There is no other company you can use for calls, if you do/would change and get caught you could lose your phone privileges for good.

One way to lower your bill, don't talk so much.  Set limits for yourself, if you are having problems paying for all the calls, it maybe your only alternative.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline OnOurOwn16

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
Does anyone know a better way to save on phone calls?? in the last 3 weeks I spend over 200 dollars on phone calls.. seriously some times he could only talk for 8 minutes and i get charged  4 dollars.I'm not rich nor do I make crazy money but I go crazy if I don't talk to him. . I  looked  online yet I can 't find anything... i just need a way to safe money we talk a lot because I can't go see him... his in Illinois River Correctional Center any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maggie1912 -- are you using a cellphone for calls or a landline (house phone)? If you are using a cellphone, then you could check with your provider (e.g. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc.) and change your phone number to an out of state number. The way the phone calls are set up, the in-state numbers get billed a flat rate, regardless if the call is 5minutes or 30minutes; whereas, an out of state phone number is billed by the exact minute. So, for example, a 5minute call would be about $1 something and a 30 minute call would end up being approximately $4 (and some change). If you are trying to save pennies, I would suggest looking into this option. Otherwise, do as Mah suggested and set up a schedule for calls. I had to do this because my l/o would and does call every single day (when not on lockdown)!!! I had to implement a schedule not only for financial reasons but also for work purposes since I can't always 'step out' and take a call.
Good luck with everything!  :wc2:

Offline luvnhim

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »
Discuss replacing some of your calls with letters. Letters take longer for you to receive but the way I see it is that's the communication that is the most affordable and one that doesnt come with time constraints like visits and calls. My lo is at a facility where he can only call 2 or 3 times a week but we have made an agreement that he will not call back to back on the days he does have the phone unless it is a night gallery call and those are every 7 to 10 days there. It does get expensive either way. Good luck!

Offline cjm090

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago when the phone calls first started.  We learned really quick how to get on a schedule.  Also, I don't have a landline, only a cell phone.  The first day, we spent over $25 just trying to get in one call because it kept cutting off after 3 minutes.  I called Securus and the customer service rep couldn't refund for the calls but she gave me some tips so we don't trigger their fraud detection software.  Basically if they think you're trying to do a 3 way call, they will disconnect your call.  1. No speakerphone 2. Don't use Bluetooth in the car 3. Try to be stationary and not driving around because if it switches between cell towers, it can drop a call.  So, basically hold the phone up to your ear and only one person talking at a time.  When we were on speaker phone or using Bluetooth, my daughter and I were both trying to talk at the same time and it would drop the call.  So, now we have a schedule.  He calls me at 10am for one 30 minute "husband/wife" call and then in the evening to talk to the kids.  Every morning I tell him what time is a good time to call that night so I can make sure we are home from all our activities and not out driving around.  So far we have had over 20 calls that went the full 30 minutes after implementing those changes.  Hope that helps. 

Offline Eeyoreluvr70

• Ride or die...its my choice
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:42 PM »
I know there are a lot of posts about Securus and questions and im lazy and dont want to scroll thru them all lol i want to know if there is a way for me to find out if the number has been approved instead of waiting to find out in a letter from him?

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »
You can call Securus, they will tell you if the number has been approved.

Offline Eeyoreluvr70

• Ride or die...its my choice
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
 :wc38:

Offline Rjlove

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:48 AM »
hi everybody I have a question about the securus phone system. I have been blocked from making payments online but ive been paying thru western union, since securus is down today and wont accept customer calls does that mean that the money I put in today thru western union wont be able to process until they come back or does their system automatically add the money into your account even tho they not available??  thankyou.

Offline Gracie1998

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »
I'm not sure if people still get on this but I was trying to find out if there is a way to find out other numbers that a loved one has been/is calling. He's in Dixon Springs for boot camp and we only get 1 ten minute phone call a week and i haven't heard from him this weekend. Just curious if anyone has an answer on this??

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
No, the only way to find out who he has been calling is if he tells you.

Offline Gracie1998

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »
Was hoping there was another way seeing How he has problems being honest.:( thank you.

Offline Lu

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 05:42:06 PM »
If you are the manager of his Securus account (i.e. have his password, etc.), then you can see what calls he is making and what numbers are on his call list.  If you are funding the account, you should have the right (from him) to see activity.  Western Union is charging you extra to put money on this account which would be free if you managed the account.   I would have to say, "no see, no pay)!

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
My LO has been home a year now. I know things change sometime. So are you saying that now you have to pay your Securus account through W.U. now?

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 03:39:32 AM »
No I add mine from secures website
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 08:42:29 AM »
Me too- use a credit card on the site.

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
I think I've been cut off fromtalking to him.  He always calls Wednesday because I work from home and he hasn't.  The last time we talked my call waiting kept beeping and there was background on the line.  I'm sure they think that means I was trying to add someone, but I can't control my boss calling.  I don't know what to do.

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 04:49:20 AM »
I think I've been cut off fromtalking to him.  He always calls Wednesday because I work from home and he hasn't.  The last time we talked my call waiting kept beeping and there was background on the line.  I'm sure they think that means I was trying to add someone, but I can't control my boss calling.  I don't know what to do.

Has it just been this one Wednesday he's missed? If so, it could be he just couldn't get to the phone. Doesn't the lady usually come on stating "no third party calls allowed" warning? Don't panic just yet. Maybe call the Securus number and go on your account to make sure it's clear to receive calls.

Offline haleyjen

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 01:23:30 PM »
Thanks.  I'm just always so scared we're going to do something wrong.

Offline pt1318

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »
If you are the manager of his Securus account (i.e. have his password, etc.), then you can see what calls he is making and what numbers are on his call list.  If you are funding the account, you should have the right (from him) to see activity.  Western Union is charging you extra to put money on this account which would be free if you managed the account.   I would have to say, "no see, no pay)!

I'm confused... :wc13: I thought all we (on the outside) can fund is our own accounts so our LOs can call. How can you manage HIS account though? Like see what numbers he's calling etc? And how can you put $ on his account? I didn't know that was even possible...
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline Gizgirl2

• Support Staff
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 06:18:20 AM »
You are correct. You can only fund your account. The only way to know who is on his list or calling is if he tells you.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
I am the "owner" of my son's securus acct.  His PIN number (which only HE knows, I don't know it) is connected to the securus acct.  On this acct, I can certainly tell who he calls, when, how long he talks. In fact, I'm the one who put them on his acct.

However, he could have other people putting money on a different securus acct I guess. 

The acct I put money on, I control. He asks me to put phone numbers on the acct but I have the ability to block numbers as well.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »
How do you do that? All I can see are his calls to me.
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 11:52:30 PM »
The only way to do it is if you put their numbers on your approved number list on securus site but then you pay for those calls. Like I have my cell and home both on my account he can call either on and it will charge same account. No way you can see if someone else set up an account and he is calling them
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline pt1318

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 03:43:50 AM »
Right that's what I thought too. You would have to add all the numbers he wants to call to your Securus account and also pay for them, like parents, siblings etc. I had his sister's cell on my account for a while until she finally added it to her own.
💙  Strength grows in the moments when you think you can't go on but you keep going anyway.  💙

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
Correct - my son has only one acct as when he went to prison, all his "friends" dumped him.

Yes, I've put all the numbers on his acct. We are his only visitors but we visit 5-7 times/month so I put money on his phone acct only once a year or so.

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
One point to remember that when you add a phone number to your securus account any inmate can then call that number and the fee is charged against your account unless you block the other institutions.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2017, 11:24:45 AM »
Correct...

Offline Father

• Support Staff
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
Two of the numbers on my sons approved list that I have on my Securus account were receiving calls from other inmates and I racked up about $30 in charges before I realized it.    I globally blocked all facilities except for the facility where my son is located.

I think you need to call Securus to have this put into place.

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
I did have that happen with our son's lawyer's phone number - lol.  Apparently several inmates use his services - lol