• February 23, 2019, 09:55:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Crime Victims Bill of Rights Amendment-IMPORTANT  (Read 7365 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Crime Victims Bill of Rights Amendment-IMPORTANT
« on: October 04, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
In the mail today, many throughout Illinois received a blue flyer for

PROPOSED AMENDMENTS AND ADDITION TO THE ILLINOIS CONSTITUTION

One of the Amendments is for Crime Victims Bill of Rights and changes they want to make to it to that Bill

I am giving you this link to the Amendment and will post the Pros and Cons to this as soon as I can.  

Everyone should read this over and understand what this would do for the victims and to the criminals.

If you got this flyer, I urge you to read it over so when you go to vote you make the choice you are comfortable with and understand it.

Here is the link to the amendment and I WILL post the Pros/Cons.

http://ballotpedia.org/Illinois_Crime_Victims%27_Bill_of_Rights_Amendment_%282014%29
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Crime Victims Bill of Rights Amendment-IMPORTANT
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:10:57 PM »
Arguments in Favor of the Proposed Amendment

Victims of violent crimes deserve stronger protections under the Constitution than are currently provided. Victims should not have to fear intimidation and harassment when they participate in the criminal justice process. Judges must consider a victim’s safety when setting bail, deciding whether a criminal defendant should be released during his or her trial, or sentencing a convicted defendant.

Further, victims should also be allowed to object when a defendant or a defendant’s attorney attempts to obtain information about the victim that is confidentia l or private, like the victim’s mental health records or personal journals. A judge would still be able to require a victim to turn those records or communications ov er to the court, but the amendment would allow the victim to object if he or she feels that a privacy violation would result.

A constitutional amendment is necessary because victims need the abil ity to enforce their rights. This amendment would provide that judges and prosecutors have a constitutional duty to keep the victim informed of developments in the case, and to allow the victim to participate when appropriate.

Arguments Against the Proposed Amendment

The proposed amendment would disrupt the criminal justice process and impede the work of prosecutors. Our criminal justice system tasks prosecutors, not victims, with punishing criminals and restoring justice after a crime is committed. Victims and their attorneys may attempt to take over that important role, second-guessing prosecutors and objecting to decisions made by judges.

Victims already have a right to be present and informed during the process, and Illinois already provides extensive rights to crime victims under the Rights of Crime Victims and Witnesses Act.

The proposed amendment threatens the rights of criminal defendants, both the guilty and the innocent. Our system gives criminal defendants the right to access information, documents and records that could prove their innocence; however, the amendment would give a victim the opportunity to prevent disclosure of certain materials or documents that might prove the defendant’s innocence.

Proposed Amendment to the 1970 Illinois Constitution
Explanation of Amendment

The proposed amendment makes changes to Section 8.1 of Article I of the Illinois Constitution, the Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights. The proposed amendment would expand certain rights already granted to crime victims in Illinois, and give crime victims the abil-ity to enforce their rights in a court of law. You are asked to decide whether the proposedamendment should become part of the Illinois Constitution.

You have to vote YES or NO.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »

I am bringing this up again so everyone reads and understand this Amendment which you will asked to vote on November 4th with a YES or NO.

PLEASE read the above so you know what you are voting on!

Offline trauma4us

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »
Thanks very much Mah - yes this is important.  Certainly we all agree that victims should be protected. However, there are many people falsely convicted and/or thru a miscarriage of justice sentenced to untenable lengths of incarceration. This too should be addressed.

However, am unsure if society is ready for a "prisoners bill of rights." Sad state of affairs.

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
The US is the only country I know of that lets victims of crimes make any impact statements as part of a criminal trial.  I believe in the rights of victims, but I think too many times the victims are looking for retribution and revenge and can sway a judge or jury to give a harsher sentence than warranted based on their own personal vendettas.  While I think victims should have information regarding where their perpetrators are (i.e. Vine notification, etc.), they should have little to no say in the matter of sentencing or the granting of parole.  There are plenty of laws in place now regarding the rights of victims, and this latest legislation is just another grandstanding effort by legislators to look good to their electorate.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
I so agree!!
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
I will keep bringing this up until Election Day so that everyone understands what this is about and can make their minds up on how they want to vote!!

Offline stan77

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
Oh more change to a system that already has its' shortcomings.  Unfortunately I no longer live in IL to vote on this one.   

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:50:09 AM »
I don't live  in Illinois anymore either, but most of my family, and friends do. I'll make sure they're on the look out for this to come in the mail.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
I don't live  in Illinois anymore either, but most of my family, and friends do. I'll make sure they're on the look out for this to come in the mail.

They will be able to vote on it Nov 4th, it will be on the ballot.

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 07:00:02 PM »
I'll make sure to remind them of it Mah, thanks!!

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Last night I saw a commercial about this!!  When you remind your friends and families about this, PLEASE remind them of both sides of this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDnP5PBXx2k

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 08:17:28 AM »

Bringing this topic up again so people have a chance to read both sides and decide how they want to vote on this.  It is one of the first things you will be asked to decide on, on your ballot.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
Thanks for bringing this up again Mah.  It is very important you remember to vote regarding this.  

There has also been commercials playing with actor Kelsy Grammer who is one of the spokespersons for this law.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Kelsey-Grammer-Touts-Crime-Victims-Amendment-in-Illinois-280664722.html

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 08:37:31 AM »
I saw his commercial before work last night, and I went on a mini-rant explaining to people what this amendment will actually do. I also pointed out the blatant lie about victims/families being able to "speak up" before an inmate is paroled. Except for a small percentage of inmates sentenced way back when, there's NO parole in Illinois! For most inmates today, when their time is up, they are getting out regardless of victim impact statements or pleas. That's the law.

Offline jaf

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 09:32:40 AM »
I saw his commercial before work last night, and I went on a mini-rant explaining to people what this amendment will actually do. I also pointed out the blatant lie about victims/families being able to "speak up" before an inmate is paroled. Except for a small percentage of inmates sentenced way back when, there's NO parole in Illinois! For most inmates today, when their time is up, they are getting out regardless of victim impact statements or pleas. That's the law.

Yeah, I saw it several times last night. . . I have words with him each time (if only he could hear them!) 

Ohhhhhhh how I wish political ads had to be honest.  It's no wonder people have given up on voting.  So sad and scary.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
Please read and understand the differences in this legislation, so you can choose either YES or NO on this tomorrow.

Arguments in Favor of the Proposed Amendment

Victims of violent crimes deserve stronger protections under the Constitution than are currently provided. Victims should not have to fear intimidation and harassment when they participate in the criminal justice process. Judges must consider a victim’s safety when setting bail, deciding whether a criminal defendant should be released during his or her trial, or sentencing a convicted defendant.

Further, victims should also be allowed to object when a defendant or a defendant’s attorney attempts to obtain information about the victim that is confidentia l or private, like the victim’s mental health records or personal journals. A judge would still be able to require a victim to turn those records or communications ov er to the court, but the amendment would allow the victim to object if he or she feels that a privacy violation would result.

A constitutional amendment is necessary because victims need the abil ity to enforce their rights. This amendment would provide that judges and prosecutors have a constitutional duty to keep the victim informed of developments in the case, and to allow the victim to participate when appropriate.

Arguments Against the Proposed Amendment

The proposed amendment would disrupt the criminal justice process and impede the work of prosecutors. Our criminal justice system tasks prosecutors, not victims, with punishing criminals and restoring justice after a crime is committed. Victims and their attorneys may attempt to take over that important role, second-guessing prosecutors and objecting to decisions made by judges.

Victims already have a right to be present and informed during the process, and Illinois already provides extensive rights to crime victims under the Rights of Crime Victims and Witnesses Act.

The proposed amendment threatens the rights of criminal defendants, both the guilty and the innocent. Our system gives criminal defendants the right to access information, documents and records that could prove their innocence; however, the amendment would give a victim the opportunity to prevent disclosure of certain materials or documents that might prove the defendant’s innocence.

Proposed Amendment to the 1970 Illinois Constitution
Explanation of Amendment

The proposed amendment makes changes to Section 8.1 of Article I of the Illinois Constitution, the Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights. The proposed amendment would expand certain rights already granted to crime victims in Illinois, and give crime victims the abil-ity to enforce their rights in a court of law. You are asked to decide whether the proposedamendment should become part of the Illinois Constitution.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.