• January 21, 2019, 06:39:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Life in IL Women's Prison  (Read 49258 times)

Offline Jabs

Life in IL Women's Prison
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
From what I am reading it sounds like there are only two women's prisons left in Illinois (Logan and Decatur). Any current news about the offerings at each place? Ive read online but it seems outdated (2012 perhaps). What is a typical day like? What kind of education is available for someone who already has a degree? How do you make your first appearance (tough, remorse, stoic)? What are bathroom facilities like? How often can you shower? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Life in IL Women's Prison
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:24:44 PM »

Hi, welcome to IPT !

We have a few members who may be able to answer some questions for you, but all the information in the first post on the Logan and Decatur profile is pretty recent information, that was just updated not that long ago, when IDOC update their website with all new information

Even though some of the other information may be dated 2012 it could be the same ad things don't change that fast within IDOC.

There are classes and programs that IDOC offers as you can see on both Decatur and Logan's profile pages and you are not left out of any of those just because you may have a degree, you can still sign up and take anything and if you are eligible for time off from your sentence (depends on your conviction) you can earn extra time off.

You might want to check out our TEN STEPS TO UNDERSTANDING IDOC PROCEDURES here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=1513.0

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Jabs

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »
Thank you. No, it is an 85% served for four years. So I think that means no matter what you do you are still there 3.4 years, correct? It could have been considered probational if it was changed to a different charge for the same crime but the county didnt want to. Didnt want to hear the story either. No criminal history and an offense many receive probation for and other states dont charge as highly. Anger, sadness, fear - all rolled into one. Human mistake.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »
Thank you. No, it is an 85% served for four years. So I think that means no matter what you do you are still there 3.4 years, correct? It could have been considered probational if it was changed to a different charge for the same crime but the county didnt want to. Didnt want to hear the story either. No criminal history and an offense many receive probation for and other states dont charge as highly. Anger, sadness, fear - all rolled into one. Human mistake.

You can take anything you want if you can get into them, but you won't earn credit, you have to do 85% of the 48 months with an 85% conviction.

We understand about mistakes, many members here with LO's  in prison because they made mistakes, bad choices and wish they could change it. Us LO's suffer too.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Online zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
I'm not sure who suffers more? the inmate, or those that love the inmate?

Offline Jabs

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »
That is the worst part - what this is doing to the family. Mist of us believe in God and that has been the only comfort right now.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
That is the worst part - what this is doing to the family. Mist of us believe in God and that has been the only comfort right now.

You might want to tell your family about this website so they can get the support and information they might need, this is why IPT was set up, for the families on those incarcerated to help them through their journey.

Offline leighanns520

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »
Life in an Illinois female prison.  I was an inmate for 8 months in IDPC.  My parent prison was Lincoln, which now is Logan, as men are held in Lincoln. 
     To answer some of your questions.  Life at Lincoln was not awful, still locked up and could not do as I would of liked to do, however it was tolerable.  The dorms had 3 phones so that we could make phone calls.  Once a day, if we had mail, we would recieve our mail.  Most every inmate has a job of some sorts, this does help to pass time.  I was low minimum and worked off grounds. This helped me alot.  I also was in the WELLS program, which is the alcohol and drugs treatment center.  This allowed me groups and counseling for my substance abuse problem I was having.  It also allowed me 45 days of 90 days completing the WELLS program off my sentence. Mind you I was a first time offender that was sentenced to IDOC so I was eligible for the time off my sentence.  It is my understanding that others that go to school and take classes also will receive time off their sentences it this is their first time at IDOC and did not use the programs on their first merry go round.  The time is easier than the time spent in jail.  You will receive contact visits and eat out of the vending which is not too bad.  Classes are hard to get into as there is always a waiting list.  The best chance to receive some extra time off a 1st time IDOC inmate sentence is try to get into the WELLS treatment center.  Your loved one has already probably been passed that info along.  It is the same credit as the schooling one receives,  it is not as hard to get into to.  It is harder to stay in it though as any tickets that IDOC gives you and punishes by c grading , one can not stay in the WELLS program and all days are lost.  No credit to be applied for deducting from original out date.  So back to the daily activities.  Meals were Ok.  I ate mostly in my 20 man dorm.  Most of us did as we had people send us money from the outside that enabled us to eat inside our unit instead of going to the chow hall.  Like I said though food was decent, but not my cup of tea.  As stated abov, your loved one, should see about a job off grounds, called OPD.  Off Perimeter Detail is what it stands for.  Larry someone, forgot his last name and unsure if he is still there will go the compliance check, which is no outstanding warrants or holds on you and you can not have any violent cases and he will determine then if one is a good canidate for OPD.  This is really what helped me get through.  Between the classes for wells and working I had hardly anytime on focusing on missing the outside world.  If and I say if, as I do not know the case or the circumstances of her charge she if eligible should drop slips daily to get approved for OPD.  I did and 2 weeks later I was off grounds staying busy and making 30.00 a month compared to the 15.00 a month for a in house job or in grounds job.  With winter coming they also need ones to shovel snow and they also get 30.00 a month.  We earn that 30.00 and work our asses off for it, however it does ease the burden to our families and that is a feel good moment in itself, being better able to provide for myself and not ask loved ones for as much money to help me while incarcerated.  I was able to send my children a money order for their birthdays and Christmas.  Speaking of Christmas they have a group come in that helps with gifts for their children, they also have a church group that comes in with books and cassete tapes.  The inmate drops a slip to be placed on the next call for the reading of a book or partial book, and the church tapes the mothers voice reading the book and also sends the book at no cost to the inmate, to the child.  If more than two address for the inmates children then some will not get the book and the cassette with mommies voice reading to them and also able to leave a very short message telling them you love and miss them.  It is an awesome way to stay connected to your children when away.  If you do it one month, you have to skip the next then drop a slip again for the following one.  Just because you miss on session that does not mean you will do it, it depends on how many requests they get.  The ones that never done it get first chance to read to their children.  I got to do it each and every time. I do not know why others did not sign up,  may of been short timers or no children, I do not know.  At Lincoln they also had a mom and me camp a few times a year and a church sponsors it and the kids are tansported from a place in Bloomington, which is a meet place and brings the inmates children to the prison and the mom gets to spend the entire day with there children,  This is great and a wonderful time for the kids to see that Mom is not in that bad of a place. It reassures them and they look forward to coming back.  I tried to get to decauter as it is much better for children and Moms.  They allow women to keep their new babies for a good while.  They also, offer through a church camping trips and the mom get to go camping.  The mom must have very low security and not a flight risk. I did not get to do this, although I was very low security, IDOC can not put all eligible for decauter at decauter.  Really IDOC is what you make of it.  You can learn and get a job skill as being a nail tech, learn to do floors, strip, wax and buff, among other things.  If you have any more questions about women and IDOC please do not hesitate to ask and I will answer all based on my experience.  Please note I was released in Feb 2009, and an inmate at Lincoln, since then the women have been moved to Logan.  Lincoln held 1000 women among there 5 housing units, 100 women per each side of housing unit.  2 units per house.  There are also 5 dorms on each side with 20 women in each dorm.  I believe someone told me that Logan for women have cells to live in, and I believe they are 2 men cells and can go up to 8 men cells.  I can honestly say that a 2 man cell that I was familiar with in intake and county jail are more peaceful that the 20 woman dorms. No rest as the women are loud all the time.  Cell life is more private however you do get the feeling of being locked in. With dorms you are not locked in and have movement through the 20 woman dorm but at times can not leave the dorm such as during count and bedtime, etc.  Church is available also and anyone can go.  Yard is offered for the ones that want to go play volleyball, softball, basketball.  The gym is also available for weight lifing basketball, pool, and volleyball.  The gym is a decent gym.  The CO's were polite and not too hard on the women unless they gave them reason to be.  Hope this helps   If I think of more will add it to it and if any questions please ask.  This is my experience, Might not be your loved ones.