• February 23, 2019, 09:48:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: 85% to 65%  (Read 7139 times)

Offline rebeccalynn8227

85% to 65%
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:41:13 AM »
Has there been a bill signed in Illinois that will reduce the 85% to 65%, like there has been in other states for non-violent offenders and first time paroles? Has anybody heard of it?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: 85% to 65%
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:01:30 AM »
Has there been a bill signed in Illinois that will reduce the 85% to 65%, like there has been in other states for non-violent offenders and first time paroles? Has anybody heard of it?

No, there is no pending legislation or recent bill that has been signed on this at this time. The rumors about this have been going around for years, but the conviction rates are 100% - 85% - 75%  and 50% and hasn't changed.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »

No, there is no pending legislation or recent bill that has been signed on this at this time. The rumors about this have been going around for years, but the conviction rates are 100% - 85% - 75%  and 50% and hasn't changed.

My husband was just telling me about this. He said that guys are coming in that their lawyers have told them that Gov. Quinn sign a bill on July 1st, 2014 and will come into effect at the end of this year.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »

My husband was just telling me about this. He said that guys are coming in that their lawyers have told them that Gov. Quinn sign a bill on July 1st, 2014 and will come into effect at the end of this year.

There was no bill signed for this on July 1st and NO bills pending to change this.

It's all rumors, but this goes around all the time and it's just not true.

There is a committee now working on sentence reform, but nothing about these guidelines have been even talked about in the few meetings they have had.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
Mah is right. This rumor has been going on for years. In fact, the 85% to 65% is what first brought me to IPT...about 5 years ago.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
Mah is right. This rumor has been going on for years. In fact, the 85% to 65% is what first brought me to IPT...about 5 years ago.

Same here.. My l/o knew about IPT, and wanted me to keep an eye out "just in case" it wasn't a rumor.

Offline Joy4archie

• Eternity awaits! <3
  • Can't wait for Spring!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:36:35 AM »
My fiance told me the same thing the other day. He said at the end of the year, there was supposed to be a vote on lowering the percentages. Like the 85% to 65% and the 50% down to 35%. I told him it might be a rumor, but he asked me to keep a look out for anything about it. I hate when our loved ones get their hopes up for something, just to be told it was only a rumor. :( How do rumors get started anyway?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »
My fiance told me the same thing the other day. He said at the end of the year, there was supposed to be a vote on lowering the percentages. Like the 85% to 65% and the 50% down to 35%. I told him it might be a rumor, but he asked me to keep a look out for anything about it. I hate when our loved ones get their hopes up for something, just to be told it was only a rumor. :( How do rumors get started anyway?

These rumors fly around the prisons all the time.  They are probably started by inmates and CO's who like to get a rise out of the guys. 

If the Truth in Sentencing guidelines were to change, they would have to change the whole legislation and new bills would have to be passed, there is nothing in the works at this time to do that!!!

Here is the link to the current information on sentencing reform and please note, nothing has been discussed to lowering the conviction %'s in the two meetings they have already had:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=32994.0

Offline Joy4archie

• Eternity awaits! <3
  • Can't wait for Spring!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »
Thank you Mah for keeping on top of this. I'll let my loved one know when he calls me in a few days.

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »
The rumors are not being started my the Inmates or the C.O.'s they are being started by the Public Defenders and Attorneys that are appointed by the state. These Public Defenders are using this as a tool of manipulating young first time offenders to get then to taking a plea to a godly amount of time. This rumors are coming right from the jails.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
The rumors are not being started my the Inmates or the C.O.'s they are being started by the Public Defenders and Attorneys that are appointed by the state. These Public Defenders are using this as a tool of manipulating young first time offenders to get then to taking a plea to a godly amount of time. This rumors are coming right from the jails.

If this is true, shame on them or anyone else that falsely states the conviction rates to these offenders.  This particular rumor has been going around in the prisons for years, from the inside too, because we have had numerous posts/topics about this and it's all rumors!

The new Truth in Sentencing laws went into effect in 1998 and in fact they are trying to increase those laws for gun charges, not decrease them.

Offline robin in ohio

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
Your talking about apples when your talking about oranges this is coming from my husband who is still in prison and who was told to the same 23yrs ago. they told him he would only do 17yrs do to the over crowing back in 1992. They been doing this and this is how they get these young kids to take a plea deal.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
Your talking about apples when your talking about oranges this is coming from my husband who is still in prison and who was told to the same 23yrs ago. they told him he would only do 17yrs do to the over crowing back in 1992. They been doing this and this is how they get these young kids to take a plea deal.

It doesn't matter how old this rumor is or where it started, the sentencing laws are not changing from 85%-65% or 50-35%, but it will continue to go around the prisons like it has for years and we will continue to have people ask us if it is true. As long as this website has been here, people have asked this question and it will continue.

Offline precious angel

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:37:43 AM »
This 85% to 65% is for first time offenders and my fiance mentioned he heard this in his prison and wanted me to look it up. I did and what it is, is a petition online at www.petition2congress.com and you can change the letter that is pre-made already and add to it and have it addressed to your home state. It has Missouri already on it and I have already did this. I changed it to Illinois and by signing it I gave my name, and email address. I submitted it to our state senate and to the president.

The best and easiest way to find it is by searching the internet using theses words,"85% to 65% reduced petition and it should be the first link there.

At the website listed above is other petitions to sign as well. Let's all get this word out on social media so we can help our lo that are in there to be with us soon!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 07:25:38 AM »
This 85% to 65% is for first time offenders and my fiance mentioned he heard this in his prison and wanted me to look it up. I did and what it is, is a petition online at www.petition2congress.com and you can change the letter that is pre-made already and add to it and have it addressed to your home state. It has Missouri already on it and I have already did this. I changed it to Illinois and by signing it I gave my name, and email address. I submitted it to our state senate and to the president.

The best and easiest way to find it is by searching the internet using theses words,"85% to 65% reduced petition and it should be the first link there.

At the website listed above is other petitions to sign as well. Let's all get this word out on social media so we can help our lo that are in there to be with us soon!

This petition is for FEDERAL prison NOT state prisons. Congress has nothing to do with changing our TIS %'s here in Illinois.    Anyone can sign anything, but this has nothing to do with changing the Truth in Sentencing Laws for Illinois State Prisons.

All State laws would have to be changed here in Illinois and right now there is nothing being worked on by legislatures to change the %'s on convictions, but they are working on sentencing reform, information of which we have posted here on IPT, most first time offenders already receive 50% convictions on minor offenses for Illinois state convictions NOT federal.

Illinois Truth in Sentencing convictions are 100 - 85 - 50%  and some rare convictions are at 75% .. the rumors going around our Illinois state prisons and have been since 1998 when the TIS laws were set in place, were that all 85% sentences were going to be reduced to 50%. 

Offline precious angel

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
I just looked it up again and no where does is say its a federal prison.  The petition actually started November 2013 and its headlines says "Reduced Mandate Terms For First Time Offender" and the beginning of letter states "Missouri is an 85% mandate state on prison terms" There are federal petition for a reduction as well. I'm just trying to help my lo because if I cannot him to clear his name, then I will pray at least that he can get out early to be with me and have a second chance to be out here and live a normal life as much as possible, due to being a first time offender with the title as a first time sex offender. I can only pray and have others aware of what is going on out on the internet.
Thank you.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 10:11:24 PM »
I just looked it up again and no where does is say its a federal prison.  The petition actually started November 2013 and its headlines says "Reduced Mandate Terms For First Time Offender" and the beginning of letter states "Missouri is an 85% mandate state on prison terms" There are federal petition for a reduction as well. I'm just trying to help my lo because if I cannot him to clear his name, then I will pray at least that he can get out early to be with me and have a second chance to be out here and live a normal life as much as possible, due to being a first time offender with the title as a first time sex offender. I can only pray and have others aware of what is going on out on the internet.
Thank you.

If you want to help him, then get involved in this.  This is what is going on right now in Illinois and we all HOPE that something is going to be done for the best, but that is questionable too.

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=32994.0

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.