• February 20, 2019, 10:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Info on getting work release & experience North Lawndale ATC  (Read 2840 times)

Offline pmilver

My LO is serving a 6 year at 50% for a class X. He took any classes he could at his parent facility
..& got some time off his sentence for those. He put in application for work release as soon as he could.

We asked his IL state senator to request he be granted work release. The senator's office contacted the transfer coordinator's office. I don't know if it helped but the senator's office was able to tell us which facility he would be going to way before he got any official word.

11 months after entering IDOC, my LO was transferred to Statesville prior to going to the ATC. He was there for about 2 weeks (at the "Farm") & then went to North Lawndale ATC in Chicago. The first couple of weeks at the ATC were really hard. Except for going on a trip to Walmart to get some essentials & a trip to get an IL State ID, he was inside, no windows to look out of & not much to do, for a couple of weeks.

Visiting hours are minimal ( Wed & Sat nights 6 PM to 8 PM) & they only have to let you stay for an hour.

He had to go through their orientation classes & earn his privileges, which took a few weeks. Fortunately, he was able to get a job on his own. He also signed up for classes at the community college (Malcolm X College is pretty close by). Since he was working full time & taking classes, he was allowed to be out of the center a good part of the day. At North Lawndale they give you time off sentence for classes taken. I don't believe they do this at the other ATC in Chicago.

After a couple of months, he was allowed to visit home for a few of hours. You have to have a sponsor where you are going stay when on "leave". The sponsor has to be an Illinois resident with an IL ID, show proof of residence & take a sponsor information class prior to your LO coming home. About 2 weeks after he did the short visit home, he was allowed to go home on the weekends for 72hours.  Ahead of time, you can tell the ATC of an activity you want to do while home (shop, eat out, go to a movie) & you are allowed 2 to 4 hours away from home, at the pre-determined time, to do the pre-approved activity. They ask you to bring back proof you were where you were supposed to be (like a receipt).

You have to have a designated phone line at home with no features on it (no call forwarding, etc) & they do call periodically to check to see that you are where you are supposed to be. Sometimes, they even call you at 2 AM.  They call you at work too. To get to work, school, home etc, you have to walk, ride your bike or take public transportation (bus, El, cab).

You are not allowed to get into anyones's car. No cars except cabs.  

He has been at the ATC for about 5 months & has been told they have put in for him to go to home confinement. Only bad thing about home confinement is he can't get time off sentence for school credits once home confinement starts.

All in all, his experience at the ATC has been positive.

Offline me

• Support Staff
Re: Info on getting work release & experience North Lawndale ATC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »
Thanks for posting this pmilver!  Its alot of great information!

Best wishes for you guys!

Offline pmilver

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:41:52 PM »
 :wc11:   Hope it helps someone. This site was invaluable to me when my LO entered IDOC. Everyone was so helpful & kind. I don't know how I could have learned all about visits, putting $ on the account, mail & phone calls, etc. The help & support I got here made a terrible & confusing time much easier to navigate.
 :wc71:

Offline washwin5

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
:wc11:   Hope it helps someone. This site was invaluable to me when my LO entered IDOC. Everyone was so helpful & kind. I don't know how I could have learned all about visits, putting $ on the account, mail & phone calls, etc. The help & support I got here made a terrible & confusing time much easier to navigate.
 :wc71:
Hi pmilver, I was wondering where your L/O location was before going to work release?