Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. July 31, 2014, 08:41:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Menard Prison  (Read 304 times)
Lettiegonz

« on: March 20, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »

I am new to this. My son is being sent to menard. Can someone tell me about this place. I am not from illinois. Where is it located? What is the city is close to the prison? How are the condition there? I am just a worried mom.
Thank you will be waiting for reply.

Where there is faith and prayers, MIRACLES happen.
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:43:36 AM »

Menard is in Chester, Illinois, you can go to the following links and read the current information from the IDOC website about the Maximum and Medium units and hopefully those members who have LO's there can tell you more, the first link is the information for the Maximum unit at Menard, second link is for the Medium unit.  Do you know if he is going to Max or Med???

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=6592.0

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=31888.0

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Lettiegonz

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:14 AM »

Thank you for the reply. He is going to max.

jaf

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »

Is he just entering the system? 

Anyway, so sorry to hear that he's going there - it's not a fun place.   However, there are some guys in there who are extremely helpful to the new guys.  I hope he is placed with one of those.   

Hang in there! I hope you are able to hear from him soon.
Lettiegonz

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »

Can you tell about the place? I worry so much. Whats the nearst airport? How are the living condition?

jaf

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:05:04 AM »

Let me start by saying that in several ways, Menard is not as bad as it was a couple of years ago when my son was there!    

I do hope you'll read the old info on here about Menard.  Even though some things have changed, it will give you a feel for the place.  And read the latest John Howard Association report which can be found here, too.

The most important things to me as a mom (that I can think of at the moment) that I learned are:
   The guys are reasonably safe, partly because they are locked up for most of the day
   The guards for the most part treat the guys decently, they tend to reflect the attitude that comes to them.  Of course there are those who are not nice at all, regardless.  Just a fact.
    Many guys have been there for a long time and and have settled in and do their best to help the new guys learn how to survive there.   Seriously.  There are like guardian angels living in that place!
   I hope you can send him enough money to get a TV and other start up necessities.  TV is such a great escape for them.  It might not seem important now, but a fan will be a necessity soon - and they run out in the commissary and they have to plan ahead. Planning ahead is very important advice there.  Lockdowns  have diminished a lot there, but you never know when one might happen.
   Does he like to read?  You can send him up to 5 paperback books at a time.  (Another great mental escape)
    Pray for a good cellie!!  I think my son has had 12 so far.  Some awesome, , some okay, , and some awful!  A good thing at Menard is that they have the old fashioned bars so they can talk to their neighbors.  Some of my sons greatest allies at Menard were neighbors.  He will never forget them.  

Anyway, read, read, read!   You'll know the system like a pro in no time.   Something you probably never ever, ever wanted to have to learn, right?
Lettiegonz

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:34:09 PM »

Thank you so much for the informatiion. How many calls are they allowed? I am from out of state where is the nearst airport ? Yea this is something I never thought that I would like to learn about.
god bless you and thank you for ur reply

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: