• August 18, 2018, 04:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Good Time Schedules and Sentence Credit Applicable to Felony Sentences Title 20  (Read 25104 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk

Section 107.120  Good Time Schedules and Sentence Credit Applicable to Felony Sentences

Go here to see information/breakdown, effective February 1, 2013:

http://ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/020001070B01200R.html
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Sed1971

Who is actually getting the time because I thought it was sporadic at best??

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk

Inmates get Sentence Credit all the time, some serve 50% convictions, some 85% while others get credit for programs and classes and you can look at this list to see who has gotten the new Supplemental Sentence Credit formerly MSG/SMGT:

http://www.illinois.gov/idoc/Offender/Pages/CommunityNotificationofInmateEarlyRelease.aspx

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Sed1971

Inmates get Sentence Credit all the time, some serve 50% convictions, some 85% while others get credit for programs and classes and you can look at this list to see who has gotten the new Supplemental Sentence Credit formerly MSG/SMGT:

http://www.illinois.gov/idoc/Offender/Pages/CommunityNotificationofInmateEarlyRelease.aspx

Right, but I'm talking about Good Time Credit.  The extra time they are supposed to be getting….

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/Offender/Pages/CommunityNotificationofInmateEarlyRelease.aspx

Right, but I'm talking about Good Time Credit.  The extra time they are supposed to be getting….

Yes, so was I and if you go to the link I gave you, you can see all the inmates that have gotten it and are continuing to get it, that is Supplement Sentence Credit (goodtime)(MGT/SMGT).  SSC is not guaranteed, not everyone gets it and if I remember correctly, your LO is in on a parole violation, he would not be eligible to receive any SSC(goodtime).

Offline tamron214

Anyone have a loved one that has been awarded the good time and actually get it? I know (from his counselor) that my son does qualify for the 180 days good time. But does anyone know why the percent of the ones that do qualify only a small percent actually gets it.... Does this make sense? Or just in my head... LOL Are they just not following through will the release or is it some other reason? I would really think that they would want to get them out if they qualify. It is so overcrowded and expensive. I can understand and agree with the strict rules for qualifying, but once that has been approved, it's hard to understand why they don't actually get it. Any knowledge on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Anyone have a loved one that has been awarded the good time and actually get it? I know (from his counselor) that my son does qualify for the 180 days good time. But does anyone know why the percent of the ones that do qualify only a small percent actually gets it.... Does this make sense? Or just in my head... LOL Are they just not following through will the release or is it some other reason? I would really think that they would want to get them out if they qualify. It is so overcrowded and expensive. I can understand and agree with the strict rules for qualifying, but once that has been approved, it's hard to understand why they don't actually get it. Any knowledge on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

They used to give MGT/SMGT to almost anyone who was serving a 50% conviction, but when that was cancelled for almost 2 1/2 years, the laws were changed, new legislation brought forward and now it is harder to earn this new SSC.

It depends on the inmate and what his conviction is, what he shows he does to earn it and more.  It is not given out as easily as the old MGT/SMGT was.  If you look at the link I have provided and see what convictions the people who have earned it have, you will get an idea of who is receiving it.

Tell your son to do what he is suppose to, take classes/programs if he can and he will see if he earns 3 or 6 months, it's not guaranteed, never was, can be taken away once given too, but it is harder to get this time around.  Good Luck to him.

Offline tamron214

Thank you Forevermah....
It sounds like even though he qualifies with his charge and all the technical things that he still may not get it? He is in Sheridan and in the treatment program. So I guess this is just another waiting period to see if he actually gets it. I swear I think this is harder on the family sometimes! Thank you for all that you do on this site. Have a Merry Christmas.

Offline luvmyski

Can anyone tell me how this new SSC works my bf is in on a class 4 felon with a gun and no it was not violent. Just got caught with a gun. I am so confused. How does this actually work now and how long does it take for them to notify him of Credit. I have already received papers asking if it was ok for him to parole here. Just trying to figure all this out please help

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Can anyone tell me how this new SSC works my bf is in on a class 4 felon with a gun and no it was not violent. Just got caught with a gun. I am so confused. How does this actually work now and how long does it take for them to notify him of Credit. I have already received papers asking if it was ok for him to parole here. Just trying to figure all this out please help

Welcome to IPT!

He has to serve 60 days before he would even be considered for SSC, it is not guaranteed and not all convictions earn it. He may get one month or six, but no one at this point can tell you that, he has to qualify.  You can begin to read everything on this board for information.

He will just have to wait and see what happens.

If you got information for parole already, did he have county time that was credited to him, making him eligible for parole soon?

Offline his.lucky.charm

Quick question. My boyfriend was just sentenced today and he got four years but was given a year for time served and six months good time. He is confused with how this is going to work. Do they tack that on right away or does he still need to earn it?? This has been a crazy roller coaster again. Thanks in advance :)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Quick question. My boyfriend was just sentenced today and he got four years but was given a year for time served and six months good time. He is confused with how this is going to work. Do they tack that on right away or does he still need to earn it?? This has been a crazy roller coaster again. Thanks in advance :)

He has to earn the good time if he is eligible and he won't know that until he is in IDOC for at least 60 days. Count on him doing the year he still has to serve and anything else is a bonus, they could give him 1-6 months additional Supplemental Sentence Credit, maybe, it also depends on his sentence/history.

Welcome to IPT.

Offline his.lucky.charm

Thank you!!!

Offline washwin5

Hi. My husband just had an incident that may have caused him to go to seg. He is at a minimum security facility. He mentioned that he maybe transferred if taken to seg for refusing to move to a different unit. If transferred; will that affect any good time,and if so can he earn that back? Out date is 6/16

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Hi. My husband just had an incident that may have caused him to go to seg. He is at a minimum security facility. He mentioned that he maybe transferred if taken to seg for refusing to move to a different unit. If transferred; will that affect any good time,and if so can he earn that back? Out date is 6/16

If he already had earned any SSC and they take any away, he could still earn it back. Many guys refuse housing and are put in SEG, but not sure if that hurts them earning or keeping their SSC.  He can talk to his counselor after he gets moved.  Did he already have some SSC earned?

Offline sonshine

I knew someone that got 7years and only did 18 months is that really possible...and how

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
I knew someone that got 7years and only did 18 months is that really possible...and how

Yes, if he had credit for time in county and earned GT for classes/programs.. all depends.

Offline washwin5

Thanks for info, and no he hasn't received any yet, but I did find out later on that evening that he was giving a chance to think it out, so of course he reconsidered and was placed on a different unit.... :wc59: thank god that he is not just thinking about himself, but his family as well, so he can come home soon.

Offline washwin5

If he already had earned any SSC and they take any away, he could still earn it back. Many guys refuse housing and are put in SEG, but not sure if that hurts them earning or keeping their SSC.  He can talk to his counselor after he gets moved.  Did he already have some SSC earned?
No, he haven't earn any good time yet, and he didn't go to seg, but instead followed the rules....
I do have a question though: Do you know how long it takes for you to receive notification of any good time if granted? Just say if you had 16mos left. Would you be hearing anything soon if eligible?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk

No, he haven't earn any good time yet, and he didn't go to seg, but instead followed the rules....
I do have a question though: Do you know how long it takes for you to receive notification of any good time if granted? Just say if you had 16mos left. Would you be hearing anything soon if eligible?

He may not hear anything until he is closer to getting out.. They used to give them SSC (Goodtime) in 3 month increments, but not sure if they are still doing that or just giving them it all at once.. They had to earn it in the past and it can be taken away if they get into trouble.