• February 20, 2019, 10:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Work Release  (Read 12026 times)

Offline delacerdaa

Work Release
« on: December 13, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »
 :merrycsanta: My brother was denied work release. Could it be because he has more than 2 years left on his sentence?  He got to Taylorville in December of last year. He has to serve 3.5 years of his sentence, so this coming March he`ll have 2 years left to serve. His counselor in Taylorville told him that he was eligible until March, but other inmates told my brother that he could apply earlier than that. He did.... and got denied. My brother got a letter from a construction company stating he worked for them as a electrician on a temporary basis. Would that letter help him get a spot in work release?  What can help my brother get into work release?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Work Release
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
If your brother was denied, he has to wait 6 months before he can apply again.  Normally they have to be 2 years short before they are allowed in an ATC, but can apply a few months prior to that.  Sometimes inmates apply to be a worker at the ATC and then from there they are allowed into the program.

The fact that he has a place to go to work can help, IF he can get into a program.  It's really hard, so many inmates want to get into the program, but there is only so much room and many are denied.

Good Luck, hope he can reapply and get in.

We have a board here on IPT ... Adult Transistional Centers, (ATC) with lots of other information.  Just look on the front page of IPT, you will see the board.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
 :merrycsanta: Who actually denies and approves work release?  My brother got denied by someone in Taylorville where he`s at. The reason was...."Apropriately sentence or placed", something like that.  But he won`t have 2 years or less until this coming March......so I`m hoping that`s the reason why he was denied and not because of his class x, although his crime was NOT violent. The counselor at Talyorville told him that he needed to finish the drug program. My brother left the program after doing 6 months out of the 9 it takes to finish.  Hopefully with that, they will approve him the work release. He also has a letter from a construction company stating that he did electrical work for them on a temporary basis. So that should help him evenmore, I hope.   

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
:merrycsanta: Who actually denies and approves work release?  My brother got denied by someone in Taylorville where he`s at. The reason was...."Apropriately sentence or placed", something like that.  But he won`t have 2 years or less until this coming March......so I`m hoping that`s the reason why he was denied and not because of his class x, although his crime was NOT violent. The counselor at Talyorville told him that he needed to finish the drug program. My brother left the program after doing 6 months out of the 9 it takes to finish.  Hopefully with that, they will approve him the work release. He also has a letter from a construction company stating that he did electrical work for them on a temporary basis. So that should help him evenmore, I hope.    

I answered your other question in this topic about Work Release, don't know if you saw it.

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=31743.msg241771#msg241771

Springfield makes the final decision, as it is very normal for them to tell MANY inmates, as there is only so much space in these ATC's, that they are properly placed, that is normal verbage.

He can re-apply as I stated in my other answer to you.

I am going to split this all off and put it with your original post.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
 :snowfi: What is the difference between permanent work release and just work release?  My brother is telling us that not to many are getting work release from Taylorville and he`s afraid he might not get it and end up doing the 3.5 yrs from his sentence.  My brother was denied for permanent work release once, but I think maybe its because he still has more than 2yrs left to serve. Although he was charged with a class x, it was not violent and that qualifies him for work release.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »
Read through this topic and you should be able to understand what permanent party versus regular work release is:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=30213.msg232884#msg232884

Also, go to the front page of IPT and type in permanent party and all the topics pertaining to this should come up.

Your brother can reapply for work release after 6 months, I think many inmates are denied work release because there simply isn't enough room in the ATC's that are still open for all the inmates who apply.  All he can do is try again and see if he is accepted, but know that some Class X convictions are not allowed to go to work release.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
I have merged your other topic together with this one since it's all about the same topic.

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 02:55:20 AM »
Only the violent class x inmates do not qualify for work release. My brother is charged with a non violent crime.  It`s pretty stupid to keep the non violent, small amount, drug offenders in prison. They should be placed on house arrest and charged a hefty fine.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:05:11 AM »
According to Title 20 Administrative Rules for IDOC, NO Class X felonies are to be allowed in Work Release, but we have seen very few here on IPT that actually do get a spot.  The ATC's are overcrowded, many inmates want to go and there simply is not enough room for all that apply.

Your brother can re-apply in 6 months (from time of first application) if he still wants to go and see what happens.  They do not use house arrest very often and especially not for any Class X convictions.

Good Luck to him, hope he eventually is accepted.

Section 455.30  Eligibility Criteria

Committed persons who meet the following criteria may submit a request for consideration for placement in a community correctional center to designated program staff.

a)         To be considered for placement, the committed person must:

1)         Not be serving a sentence for murder, any Class X felony, attempted murder, voluntary manslaughter, aggravated kidnapping, kidnapping, indecent liberties with a child or arson.

2)         Not have any documented involvement in organized crime activities.

3)         Not have any documented large scale narcotics trafficking.

b)         For pre-release placement as a regular resident, the committed person must:

1)         Have no more than 2 years and no less than 2 months remaining prior to his release date.

2)         Be in "A" grade (20 Ill. Adm. Code 504.130).

3)         Have a designated security classification of minimum with supervision or minimum.

4)         Have no outstanding warrants or detainers against him.

5)         Have no acute medical or dental problems requiring resolution prior to a transfer.

6)         Receive a positive assessment of risk and needs.

7)         Have no incidents of escape or escape attempts within the last five years.

8)         Not have received disciplinary action resulting in confinement in segregation or loss of good time within the last 45 days prior to his application for pre-release placement.

c)         For placement as a permanent party resident, the committed person must:

1)         Be within 2½ years of his release date.

2)         Be in "A" grade.

3)         Be classified for minimum security.

4)         Have no outstanding warrants or detainers on file.

5)         Receive a positive assessment of risk and needs.

6)         Have documented skills for the work assignment requested.  An applicant for a work assignment as a cook must have a food handler's sanitation certificate.

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
My brother got denied work release twice, he was wondering if he transferred out of Taylorville, if he would have a better chance of getting work release in another facility?  The drug counselor(Jacob Walters) has a personal vendetta against my brother. It looks like because of Jacob Walter`s decision my brother will never get work release.  This counselor is unprofessional and should be fired.  Who can I report or file a complaint with against Jacob Walters.  Would my brother have a better chance to get work release if he transferred to a different facility?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

Even if Mr. Walters didn't have an issue with your brother and he's being denied like many other inmates in IDOC and told they are placed properly, because there simply isn't enough room for all the inmates that apply, and that is a FACT, he may now have an issue after you post this on a public board for everyone to see, including IDOC and Mr. Walters.  I know you want to help your brother, but sometimes we have to understand that we can hurt more by posting something like this on the internet.

You have asked this question over and over here on IPT and we have given you the same answers.  Maybe you should have called Springfield and talked it over with them, instead of bashing this counselor here.

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »
Great news!  My brother`s work release application was sent to Springfield!  Most likely he will get it now!  I heard that Springfield only processess the paper work and that the facility where the inmate is at ok`s the applications.   :wc6:             

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
Great news!  My brother`s work release application was sent to Springfield!  Most likely he will get it now!  I heard that Springfield only processess the paper work and that the facility where the inmate is at ok`s the applications.   :wc6:             

That's not necessarily true. Every REQUESTED transfer goes through a series of approvals/denials. Usually it is: 1st counselor, 2nd warden, 3rd Springfield. At any point in that process the request can be denied.

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 02:37:47 AM »
His counselor told him that his paper work was going to be sent to Springfield.  My sister called Springfield and they told her that all approvals are done by the facility and that Springfield gets the paperwork ready for the transfer.  So it`s final once the paperwork leaves the facility to Springfield.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
I'm not sure who your sister spoke to, but that information simply is NOT true. We have had lots of members whose loved one were approved for work release at the facility level, but were denied by Springfield. Most are told they are "properly placed," and advised they can reapply in 6 months. Now, I'm not saying your l/o is going to be denied, just that having the request paperwork sent to Springfield is no guarantee.

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »
Well I`m praying that my brother gets it.  He was given a job with outside clearence which I hope might help him get work release. You know they should have requirements for work release.  For example: You need to have a highshcool or GED diploma.  If you did not finish highschool, then you should not qualify until you get your GED at the facility.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »
I hope he gets approved and transferred too. I would think having outside clearance at his current facility would be bonus points when they look at his application.

Offline delacerdaa

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 02:35:01 AM »
It`s been a month since Springfield received my brother`s application for work release.  Still no response.  I`m getting a little worried.  :(

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 06:55:47 AM »
Not every inmate is approved, there simply is not enough room in the few ATC's for all the inmates that apply and those that are, can wait months to be moved.

Offline onesadmomma

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »
Well I`m praying that my brother gets it.  He was given a job with outside clearence which I hope might help him get work release. You know they should have requirements for work release.  For example: You need to have a highshcool or GED diploma.  If you did not finish highschool, then you should not qualify until you get your GED at the facility.

Not every facility offers GED, the waits can be long and some people aren't able to complete the GED study/pass the test on their own. I don't think that should be a prerequisite