• February 23, 2019, 09:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Elderly Bill Legislation  (Read 28020 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Elderly Bill Legislation
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »

A Committee is being formed for planning and drafting a bill to get elderly inmate release legislation passed this coming year!

If anyone is interested or wants to join this group and get involved with this legislation, the following is the information on the meeting tomorrow 6/27/2013 at Northeastern College, Chicago.

To push this agenda forward we would like to have an initial organizing meeting at 2:00-5:00 p.m., Thursday, June 27th, at Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU).  The room will be CBM 162.  This is the College of Business & Management building located on the corner of Bryn Mawr Ave. and St. Louis.  There is free street parking along St. Louis.

Thank you,

Cris Toffolo
 Justice Studies Department
Northeastern Illinois University
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Elderly Bill Legislation - SunTimes Supports
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »

Stiff prison sentences aren’t a magic cure for crime

Editorials August 12, 2013 5:54PM

Updated: August 13, 2013 2:18AM

Incarceration plays an important role in protecting the public, but for 40 years our nation has overused it, wasting lives and money.

On Monday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder acknowledged as much when he told the American Bar Association in San Francisco that the federal government will scale back stiff sentences for some drug crimes and divert low-level offenders to drug treatment and community service programs.

This is a huge and welcome step toward right-sizing our federal prison system, one we have long argued for as an editorial page. Illinois should pay attention, and do more to get in step with other states that are significantly reducing their prison populations.

Harsh prison terms, including mandatory minimum sentences, long were politically popular as a way to crack down on crime. But mandatory sentences take away judges’ ability to adjust punishment when the facts call for it. Instead, we drive up costs and fill prisons with people who don’t need to be there and who come out more inclined to commit crimes than when they went in. We need to stop telling judges ahead of time how to rule in every circumstance. As Holder said, “We cannot simply prosecute or incarcerate our way to becoming a safer nation.”

The emphasis on incarceration has been far from cheap. The Center for Effective Justice at the Texas Public Policy Foundation says that over the past 30 years, corrections costs have been the second-fastest growing area of state budgets, after Medicaid. As Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said in a statement Monday, “The mandatory minimum sentence policy has led to severe overcrowding in our prison system and swelled taxpayer spending on incarceration and detention.”

Even states where conservatives hold sway such as Arkansas and Texas — and national Republican leaders such as Jeb Bush — believe fewer low-level drug offenders belong in prison. Holder said 17 states have shifted money from building prisons to treatment and supervision. The Pew Charitable Trusts estimates that states working to reduce their prison populations will save more than $4 billion over the next several years. Those states have come to realize what research shows: Stiff sentences are not a magical solution to crime.

Illinois took a step forward with the Crime Reduction Act of 2009, but the subsequent replacement of the state’s “Meritorious Good Time” system with a program that’s much less aggressive in reducing unnecessary prison time has had the unfortunate effect of driving the state’s prison population to near-record levels. Although the total prison population of 48,783 is down from 49,494 last year, we have twice the number of prisoners we did a generation ago.

Preckwinkle and Gov. Pat Quinn, who closed two youth incarceration facilities and two adult prisons, have been pushing programs to divert nonviolent offenders into alternatives to prison. More work needs to be done on this front.

One promising proposal that will be brought to the Legislature when it reconvenes would offer prisoners at least 50 years old who have served at least 25 years an opportunity to go before the Illinois Prisoner Review Board and request parole. By no means should all these inmates be freed, but those who are ill or who have changed their behavior should be considered. Older prisoners cost the state roughly $75,000 a year, prison reform advocates estimate, compared with the average of about $22,000. Illinois doesn’t need to incarcerate so many people who have walkers or wheelchairs or who are on kidney dialysis. Neither does the federal government, which is why Holder also called for allowing the release of some elderly, nonviolent offenders from federal prisons.

Maintaining momentum on diverting offenders from prison won’t be easy. As soon as someone who doesn’t get a stiff term behind bars commits a serious crime, cries will go up to reimpose harsher sentences. But we’ve learned our lesson. Sending vast numbers of low-level, nonviolent offenders to prison just doesn’t work.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Elderly Bill Legislation
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 10:58:52 AM »
The next meeting for the Elderly Bill Legislation is:

August 27th
1PM

420 E Superior
Room 877
8th floor
Chicago

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »

Graying Prisoners

By JAMIE FELLNER
Published: August 18, 2013 255 Comments

MORE and more United States prisons resemble nursing homes with bars, where the elderly and infirm eke out shrunken lives. Prison isn’t easy for anyone, but it is especially punishing for those afflicted by the burdens of old age. Yet the old and the very old make up the fastest-growing segment of the prison population.
Related

Weeks After Going to Prison, Astor Son May Be Freed Because of His Health (July 23, 2013)

Opinion Twitter Logo.
Connect With Us on Twitter

For Op-Ed, follow @nytopinion and to hear from the editorial page editor, Andrew Rosenthal, follow @andyrNYT.
Readers’ Comments

Readers shared their thoughts on this article.

Read All Comments (255) »

Today, the New York State Board of Parole is scheduled to decide whether to give medical parole to Anthony D. Marshall, who was convicted of stealing from his mother, Brooke Astor. Mr. Marshall is 89 and suffers from Parkinson’s and congestive heart failure. His lawyers say he cannot stand or dress himself. He is one of at least 26,100 men and women 65 and older incarcerated in state and federal prisons, up 62 percent in just five years.

Owing largely to decades of tough-on-crime policies — mandatory minimum sentences, “three strikes” laws and the elimination of federal parole — these numbers are likely to increase as more and more prisoners remain incarcerated into their 70s and 80s, many until they die.

I try to imagine my 90-year-old father in prison. His body and mind whittled by age, he shuffles, takes a painful eternity to get up from a chair and forgets the names of his grandchildren.

How would he fare climbing in and out of an upper bunk bed? Would he remember where his cell was in the long halls of many prisons? How would his brittle bones cope with a thin mattress and blanket in a cold cell in winter, or his weak heart with the summer heat. If he had an “accident,” would someone help him clean up? Unlike Mr. Marshall, some older inmates committed violent crimes, and there are people who think such prisoners should leave prison only “in a pine box.”

Anger, grief and the desire for retribution are understandable, and we can all agree that people who commit serious crimes should be held accountable. But retribution can shade into vengeance. While being old should not be an automatic get-out-of-jail-free card, infirmity and illness can change the calculus of what justice requires.

It is worth asking: What do we as a society get from keeping these people in prison? People like the 87-year-old I met who had an “L” painted on his left shoe and an “R” on his right so he would know which was which and who didn’t even seem to know he was in prison. Or the old men I watched play bingo in a prison day room who needed staff members to put the markers on the bingo cards for them.

Attorney General Eric Holder gave his answer to this question on Aug. 12 when he announced new compassionate release policies for the Bureau of Prisons. Elderly and infirm federal prisoners who have served a significant part of their sentence and pose no danger will now be eligible for early release.

Recidivism studies consistently show declining rates of crime with age. Those who are bedridden or in wheelchairs are not likely to go on crime sprees. The scores of older prisoners I have met want to spend their remaining time with their families; they are coming to terms with mortality, regret their past crimes and hope, if time permits, to make amends.

Keeping the elderly and infirm in prison is extraordinarily costly. Annual medical costs for older prisoners range from three to nine times higher than those for younger ones, because, as in the general population, older people behind bars have high rates of chronic disease and infirmities and require more hospitalizations and medical care.

I have talked with dozens of correctional staff members who acknowledge that officers are not trained to manage geriatric prisoners. Nor are there enough of them to give the extra attention such prisoners may need — to ensure they take their medications, find their way to their cell, are clean if they are incontinent.

So what can be done? Compassionate release and medical parole programs exist in many prison systems, but they are poorly used and often exclude people who committed violent crimes or sex offenses even if those people are no longer able to repeat such crimes.

If the programs were properly devised and used, some aging prisoners could go back to their families. Others could be released to nursing homes or assisted-living facilities — although it is increasingly difficult to find private facilities that will take former prisoners. States and the federal government should also jettison laws requiring mandatory sentences that condemn offenders to old age in prison, without regard to whether they pose a threat to the public or have the potential for rehabilitation.

If we aren’t willing to change sentencing laws or make more use of compassionate release, we’ll need to pour vast sums of money into prisons to provide adequate conditions of care for the soaring population of geriatric prisoners.

That means investing in special training for correction officers; in round-the-clock medical care; in retrofitting buildings, wheelchair-accessible cells and bathrooms; in units with lower bunks and no stairs; and in increased hospice care for the terminally ill.

But do we really want to go that route? In the case of frail and incapacitated prisoners who can safely be released to spend what remains of their lives under supervised parole, release is a far more compassionate, sensible course.

Jamie Fellner is a senior adviser at Human Rights Watch, focusing on criminal justice in the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/opinion/graying-prisoners.html?_r=0

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:54 AM »

If anyone wants to get involved in the Elderly Bill Legislation, today is another meeting at 1PM. 

August 27th
1PM

420 E Superior
Room 877
8th floor
Chicago

Offline webmari

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »
Wished I could be there because I would support this bill with all of my heart. But I am across the ocean and my hopes and prayers are that there will be many people getting involved to go and stop this incarceration of people on a basis of LWOP and double life terms and the like which in most cases does not make any sense at all.

Offline jaf

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »
Today at noon in the House Restorative Justice Committee hearing, they will be discussing the latest version of HB3668. 

If you click on this link at noon, and then click on the link to Room 115, it should be on then.

http://www.ilga.gov/house/audvid.asp

Rep. Art Turner introduced it last fall, and now 11 co-sponsors have been added, including Speaker Currie, so it looks hopeful.

Synopsis As Introduced
 Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Provides that a committed person who is at least 50 years of age and who has served at least 25 consecutive years of imprisonment in a Department of Corrections institution or facility may petition the Prisoner Review Board for participation in the Elderly Rehabilitated Prisoner Sentence Modification Program. Provides that if the committed person files the petition, the victims and the families of the victims of the committed person's offenses shall be notified in a timely manner after the filing of the petition. Provides that the Board shall consider the petition in its entirety and shall not order the release of the committed person if it finds that the committed person poses a threat to public safety. Provides that if the Board determines that a committed person is eligible for participation in the Program and that the committed person should participate in the Program, the Board shall set the conditions for the committed person's release from prison before the expiration of his or her sentence. Provides that when granting participation in the Program, the Board may require the committed person, for a period of time upon release, to participate in community service or to wear an electronic monitoring device, or both.

Offline jaf

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »
I hope somebody will listen and report back!   

I'll be headed over to my yearly torture appointment. . . . I mean income tax preparation appointment, so I'll miss it.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:28:10 AM »
I hope somebody will listen and report back!   

I'll be headed over to my yearly torture appointment. . . . I mean income tax preparation appointment, so I'll miss it.

I'm going to attempt to!  I've set an alarm to remind me.  Now, let's just hope I can remember what the alarm was for  :wc71-1:

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
This is like torture.  I'm not sure how you ladies can handle listening to these things on a regular basis.  It's been an hour, and the only thing that has been accomplished is to pass HB 4283 which extends the time for prison issued ID cards from 30 to 90 days, with no opposition.  Then they went on break  :wc95:

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
This is like torture.  I'm not sure how you ladies can handle listening to these things on a regular basis.  It's been an hour, and the only thing that has been accomplished is to pass HB 4283 which extends the time for prison issued ID cards from 30 to 90 days, with no opposition.  Then they went on break  :wc95:

Your better then me.. I waited like 10 minutes it was a break of some sort. Sorry I couldn't handel that. it was just noise.
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
I keep walking away and coming back to it.  I listened to them go on and on (and even took notes) regarding the fact that the secretary of state doesn't consider the prison issued temporary ID cards to be a true form of ID.  And that it's the law to issue a medicaid card and an id card upon release, so that the only thing an inmate has to prove is address (within 30 days) and they can get a state issued ID card.  But, the BMV won't accept the prison ID because of "rules."  So, the inmates have to obtain another form of identification before they can get a state issue ID, and in the cases of long term incarceration, the inmates may have to re-apply for and wait for a new social security card or birth certificate.  Those things take longer than 30 days to get.  So, they went on break to wait for the secretary of state to come downstairs (since they're in the same building), so she could tell them the same thing  :wc95:.  They then decided to draft another bill to bring the law and the secretary of state rules governing prison IDs together, and voted to approve the time extension.  That must have been a lot of work, because they've now been on "break" for an hour.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
They never came back, and the link now says they're no longer in session.  So, the elderly bill didn't get anywhere today.

Offline jaf

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »
They never came back, and the link now says they're no longer in session.  So, the elderly bill didn't get anywhere today.

Well dang it!  That happens a lot.  It is good that they're working on the other problem though.  Guys getting out have enough to worry about.  Hope they'll make this be one less . . . . . eventually.

I do like listening in, but I can't just sit and listen.  I have to be doing something.  Thanks for trying!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »

The Elderly Bill: Is it a "Get out of Jail Free" Pass? -

March 10, 2014

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Supporters of the Elderly Bill in Illinois are denying that it's "a get out of jail free" pass for aging long-term prisoners. House Bill 3668 would enable a convict who is 50 years of age or older and who has served at least 25 consecutive years to apply for a sentence modification.

According to Bill Ryan, member of the steering committee of Project I-11, a coalition focused on prison reform in the state, the measure addresses the question, 'What is the purpose of sentencing?'"

"If it is to punish, then 25 years in an Illinois prison certainly is punishment," Ryan said. "If it is to rehabilitate and people can show that they are rehabilitated, why keep them in prison, at a cost of $75,000 a year, to warehouse the elderly in our prisons?"

Besides saving the state money, Ryan said, the measure would also reduce prison overcrowding. Families of victims would be allowed input in the sentencing modification process. He added that national studies find that prisoners over age 50 who have served long sentences have virtually no recidivism rate for violent crimes. The bill was introduced by Representative Art Turner (D-District 9) and has nine co-sponsors.

Ryan said the Elderly bill will help to distinguish long-term offenders who have turned their lives around and become fully rehabilitated, from those who are not rehabilitated.

"Most of us do not know anything about prisons or the prisoners," he asserted. "They need to know that people can change, and people do change."

Ryan said this bill provides for modest and needed sentencing reform, but it's just a first step.

"The United States incarcerates and locks up more people than any country in the world. We lock up more and they stay longer. We need to look at the purpose of sentencing and make it an issue and make some changes," he declared.

Project I-11 takes its name from Article I, Section 11 of the Illinois Constitution, which specifies that the purpose of incarceration is to return prisoners to "useful citizenship."

Information on the bill is at ILGA.gov.
- See more at: http://www.publicnewsservice.org/index.php?/content/article/38017-1#sthash.ATrEqsze.dpuf

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »
There will be a meeting with the Joint Legislative Criminal Justice Committee on Sentencing Reform/Elderly for anyone on:

July 15,2014
6th floor, James Thompson Center
100 W. Randolph
Chicago. Illinois
Time: 2PM

This meeting/hearing on the 15th, will be testimony on this issue from IDOC only.

A future meeting/hearing/s will be devoted to the general public/victim families testimony and for this hearing we would like to have many attend, IPT will post the date for that and any future hearings in this topic. This will be your chance to have your voices heard and get involved, save the date and plan on it.

Please contact your state legislators by phone or writing and let them know your concerns on these issues and also contact the Committee Members ..  Rep Michael Zalewski, (D-23 ) Riverside, Sen. Michael Noland, Rep. Arthur Turner (D-9) Chicago, Sen. Kwame Raoul (D-13) Chicago, Sen. Patricia Van Pelt (D-5) Chicago and the full list is below.

PLEASE read the testimony of Bill Ryan in pdf,  just click on this link to read it all:

Committee members:

CO-chairs: Rep Michael Zalewski, (D-23 ) Riverside
                   Sen. Michael Noland   ( D- 22)Elgin

Rep.John Anthony (R-) Morris
Rep.Ken Dunkin (D-5) Chicago
Rep. Dennis Reboletti (R-45) Addison
Rep. Arthur Turner (D-9) Chicago
Sen. Kwame Raoul (D-13) Chicago
Sen. Patricia Van Pelt (D-5) Chicago

We will post more information as we get it, please check back often.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
Just to make sure I'm clear on this.  The July 15th meeting is NOT for the general public?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Just to make sure I'm clear on this.  The July 15th meeting is NOT for the general public?

No, this meeting is for anyone, but only testimony from IDOC will be given. The general public/victim famlies will be given a chance to speak at a future meeting, dates of which we will be giving here on IPT.

But everyone should/can write/call their state reps/committee members with their concerns now!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »

Just bringing this back up for anyone that is thinking about attending, it is this Tuesday, July 15th, 2PM.

This Morning on WBBM780.com Radio, Craig Delimire Interviewed State Rep. Michael Zalewski, just click on the link below for this interview, it was very interesting.

Changes need to be made and am hoping this committee can get the ball rolling, Tough on Crime isn't the way to go anymore:

This week on "At Issue" WBBM Political Editor Craig Dellimore interviews State Rep. Michael Zalewski, one of the leaders of a group of lawmakers who are starting to craft reforms of Illinois' justice system.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/wbbm-latest/

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »
From the interview, it sounds like Michael Zalewski is a good one to contact with concerns.  He seems pretty open to suggestions.   

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 02:00:18 PM »
From the interview, it sounds like Michael Zalewski is a good one to contact with concerns.  He seems pretty open to suggestions.   

He is the CO Chair of this Committee and it sounds like they really want to get something done, LET US HOPE !!!!

Do not forget about our Bill Ryan either for contacting with concerns.  There will be a push for family members of inmates to testify when that meeting comes up.

Offline Bill

• Publisher, 'STATEVILLE SPEAKS'
  • Mod Squad
  • "Stateville Speaks" ~ Publisher
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
From the interview, it sounds like Michael Zalewski is a good one to contact with concerns.  He seems pretty open to suggestions.  

He is the CO Chair of this Committee and it sounds like they really want to get something done, LET US HOPE !!!!

Do not forget about our Bill Ryan either for contacting with concerns.  There will be a push for family members of inmates to testify when that meeting comes up.
i suggest IPTers contact joint committee members whose members are listed on previous pages.

This committee reall needs to hear from family members. telling your story. i think this committee will recommend some changes but how many and what is not known.

Contact members tell them of your and your LO's experiences with IDOC.
if questions please let me know

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

This is the list of Committee members that Bill is suggesting people  contact:

Committee members:

CO-chairs: Rep Michael Zalewski, (D-23 ) Riverside
                   Sen. Michael Noland   ( D- 22)Elgin

Rep.John Anthony (R-) Morris
Rep.Ken Dunkin (D-5) Chicago
Rep. Dennis Reboletti (R-45) Addison
Rep. Arthur Turner (D-9) Chicago
Sen. Kwame Raoul (D-13) Chicago
Sen. Patricia Van Pelt (D-5) Chicago

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »

State panel to tackle prisoner reduction

Mon, Jul 14, 2014

By Tony Arnold

A small panel of Illinois lawmakers meets this week with a lofty goal.  They want to find a way to reduce the prison population, cut down on recidivism - but still enforce strict laws.  IPR’s Tony Arnold reports.

Illinois State Representative Mike Zalewski is gathering the committee to look at the big picture on prisons.

They’ll discuss overcrowding in Illinois’ prisons - and the billion dollars they cost taxpayers each year.

Zalewski says he’s tired of not doing anything about it.

ZALEWSKI: I heard statistics somewhere that the average stay sometimes for a first-time marijuana user in the Department of Corrections is like 12 days if they don’t get an I-bond. 12 days. That’s insane.

But low level drug offenses isn’t all Zalewski is looking at.

He’ll also be bringing back one proposal that’s been debated for years - but never got enough support.

It would send people convicted of certain gun crimes to prison for 3 years - end of story.

No early release.

But even though it hasn’t gotten enough Yes votes - it hasn’t gone away because Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy talks about it constantly.

McCARTHY: Possession of a loaded firearm is not even considered a violent felony in the State of Illinois for sentencing purposes. Which is why you see the revolving door. Which is why you see people getting arrested with guns over and over again. Zalewski has carried bills for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel before. But with this gun bill - he’s up against some strong opponents.

The National Rifle Association is one.

They say lawful gun owners who improperly carry a gun and get caught would have to go away for three years.

Many black lawmakers are also fighting it - saying just locking people up doesn’t truly address gun violence issues in their communities.

Zalewski says a negotiated version might send someone to prison for less than 3 years...

Or punish someone more on their first gun offense.

ZALEWSKI: I think people are so worn out by my bill and by the budget problems we have. And they’re sick of seeing the Department of Corrections have these budget issues and having guys sleep in gymnasiums, there’s just a real appetite to, ‘Let’s do something.’

Art Lurigio says it’s good to recognize that Illinois’ criminal justice system need to change...

It’s just a matter of what that change is.

He’s a psychology professor and criminologist at Loyola University.

LURIGIO: Research suggests that it’s not the severity of the punishment that has a deterrent effect, but the certainty of punishment.

Lurigio’s point is that research shows people with guns don’t necessarily worry about how long they’ll spend behind bars - it’s whether they’ll get caught.

He says alternatives to prison can actually have more of a positive effect than locking up low-level criminals.

LURIGIO: We’re keeping a lot of money to keep people locked up in prison. The time that they spend in prison is time away from them ever having an opportunity to change their life trajectory unless they’re fully engaged in services.

That’s where Father David Kelly comes in.

Because while Representative Zalewski and lawmakers are dealing with end of the criminal justice process - prisons - Father Kelly deals with the beginning of that process - kids who are getting in trouble.

Kelly runs Precious Blood Ministries in the Back of the Yards neighborhood in Chicago.

KELLY: These drums are used in the juvenile detention center. We do drumming circles at juvenile detention center. So I’m the chaplain at Cook County Juvenile, as well…(FADE)

As he gives me a tour of the center - which is a former school…

He shows me a clothes rack - with dress clothes for the teenagers who have upcoming court appearances.

Precious Blood deals mostly with teens who have already been arrested and done time.

Kelly says whatever the laws are that do pass - he wants to see more neighborhood programs.

KELLY: Rather than harsher laws, harsher gun penalties, let’s punish our way out of this, I just don’t think there’s an end to that. I don’t think that will get us anywhere but fill our jails and prisons and then take the minimum resources we do have here in the community away.

Kelly says the young people he interacts with now - are the ones statistics show are going to end up testing out the laws Representative Zalewski is thinking of changing. And the best way to make sure they don’t end up testing those laws and getting arrested - doesn’t come from legislators - but from getting more people in the community involved. 

http://m.peoriapublicradio.org/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#mobile/26459

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »

Illinois lawmakers take testimony on prisons

2 hours ago

CHICAGO (AP) — A legislative committee is gathering information on ways to address Illinois' prison population.

The Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee heard more than three hours of testimony Tuesday in Chicago during its first meeting.

The bipartisan committee will also look at how to reduce racial disparities in sentencing and the number of people released from prison who commit new crimes.

Rep. Mike Zalewski (zuh-LEH'-skee) is a Riverside Democrat who pushed to create the committee. He says he wants efforts to be data driven. The group is expected to release recommendations at year's end. Zalewski says he hopes that also means some legislation.

Those who testified included Illinois Department of Corrections officials who raised concerns about the growing number of geriatric inmates. Lake County authorities also discussed issues for mentally-ill inmates.

http://jg-tc.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois-lawmakers-take-testimony-on-prisons/article_bca2eda5-ff84-59fa-9d10-9bdadacfe560.html

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 06:36:11 AM »

Panel to debate gun laws, how to reduce Illinois prison population

July 15, 2014
By: Tony Arnold

A small panel of Illinois lawmakers meets this week with a lofty goal. It wants to find a way to reduce the prison population, cut down on recidivism, but still enforce strict laws.A small panel of Illinois lawmakers meets this week with a lofty goal. It wants to find a way to reduce the prison population, cut down on recidivism, but still enforce strict laws.

Illinois State Rep. Mike Zalewski is gathering the committee to look at the big picture on prisons. They’ll discuss overcrowding in Illinois’ prisons and the billion dollars they cost taxpayers each year. Zalewski said he’s tired of not doing anything about it.

“I heard statistics somewhere that the average stay sometimes for a first-time marijuana user in the Department of Corrections is like 12 days if they don’t get an I-bond. 12 days. That’s insane,” he said in an interview at his downtown Chicago law office.

But low level drug offenses isn’t all Zalewski is looking at. He’ll also be bringing back one proposal that’s been debated for years, but never got enough support. A previous version of the proposal would’ve send people convicted of certain gun crimes to prison for three years, end of story. No early release.

But even though it hasn’t gotten enough ‘yes’ votes, it hasn’t gone away because Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy talks about it constantly.

“Possession of a loaded firearm is not even considered a violent felony in the State of Illinois for sentencing purposes,” McCarthy told reporters last week. “Which is why you see the revolving door. Which is why you see people getting arrested with guns over and over again.”

Zalewski has carried bills for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel before. But with this gun bill, he’s up against some strong opponents.

The National Rifle Association is one. They say lawful gun owners who improperly carry a gun and get caught would have to go away for three years.

Many black lawmakers are also fighting it, saying just locking people up doesn’t truly address gun violence issues in their communities.

Zalewski says a negotiated version might send someone to prison for less than three years, or punish someone more on their first gun offense.

“I think people are so worn out by my bill and by the budget problems we have,” Zalewski said. “And they’re sick of seeing the Department of Corrections have these budget issues and having guys sleep in gymnasiums, there’s just a real appetite to, ‘Let’s do something.’”

Art Lurigio says it’s good to recognize that Illinois’ criminal justice system need to change. It’s just a matter of what that change is.

“Research suggests that it’s not the severity of the punishment that has a deterrent effect, but the certainty of punishment,” said Lurigio, a psychology professor and criminologist at Loyola University.

Lurigio’s point is that research shows people with guns don’t necessarily worry about how long they’ll spend behind bars, it’s whether they’ll get caught. He said alternatives to prison can actually have more of a positive effect than locking up low-level criminals.

“We’re keeping a lot of money to keep people locked up in prison,” he said. “The time that they spend in prison is time away from them ever having an opportunity to change their life trajectory unless they’re fully engaged in services.

That’s where Father David Kelly comes in.

Because while Rep. Zalewski and lawmakers are dealing with end of the criminal justice process - prisons - Father Kelly deals with the beginning of that process: kids who are getting in trouble.

“These drums are used in the juvenile detention center. We do drumming circles at juvenile detention center. So I’m the chaplain at Cook County Juvenile, as well,” said Kelly, who runs Precious Blood Ministries in the Back of the Yards neighborhood in Chicago.

As he gives me a tour of the center, which is a former school, he shows me a clothes rack with dress clothes for the teenagers who have upcoming court appearances. Precious Blood deals mostly with teens who have already been arrested and done time.

Kelly said whatever the laws are that do pass, he wants to see more neighborhood programs.

“Rather than harsher laws, harsher gun penalties, let’s punish our way out of this, I just don’t think there’s an end to that,” Kelly said. “ I don’t think that will get us anywhere but fill our jails and prisons and then take the minimum resources we do have here in the community away.”

Kelly said the young people he interacts with now are the ones statistics show are going to end up testing out the laws Rep. Zalewski is thinking of changing. And the best way to make sure they don’t end up testing those laws and getting arrested doesn’t come from legislators, but from getting more people in the community involved.

http://www.wbez.org/news/panel-debate-gun-laws-how-reduce-illinois-prison-population-110496

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »

The hearing yesterday focused on IDOC testimony from S.A. Godinez, Director IDOC, Kathy Saltmarsh/Illinois Sentencing Policy Advisory Board and John Maki, John Howard Association.  It included lots of data, discussion about non violent low level offenders, use of risk assessments/costs.

The next hearing is August 19th, we will post on topic and times etc.

Rep. Micheal Zawleski and Rep. Michael Nolan need to hear from families of inmates, NOW

Anyone wanting to submit testimony should contact them, now is your chance to get involved, everyone always says, I wish there was something *I* could do, well now there is!!!!

If you have questions, you can contact our member Bill by private message and ask your questions.

Offline jaf

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »

The hearing yesterday focused on IDOC testimony from S.A. Godinez, Director IDOC, Kathy Saltmarsh/Illinois Sentencing Policy Advisory Board and John Maki, John Howard Association.  It included lots of data, discussion about non violent low level offenders, use of risk assessments/costs.

Rep. Micheal Zawleski and Rep. Michael Nolan need to hear from families of inmates, NOW

Anyone wanting to submit testimony should contact them, now is your chance to get involved, everyone always says, I wish there was something *I* could do, well now there is!!!!

If you have questions, you can contact our member Bill by private message and ask your questions.

Yesterday morning after I read the info on here, I sent an email to Rep. Reboletti, but I will do more.   

I guess I hadn't been paying attention because I thought yesterday's hearing was to be about sentence reductions for the elderly people in prison.
I really wish I could have listened to it, but had to take my mom to the  Dr. in the morning and then help with a big youth event and concert at church the rest of the day. 

I sure hope someone will give us more info on what was talked about yesterday. 

I also hope the next meeting will be in Springfield!

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
I didn't listen to it either, and wish I would have.  But, I also sent emails out.  I even got some additional ideas/feedback from my l/o when he called last night. 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »

Yesterday morning after I read the info on here, I sent an email to Rep. Reboletti, but I will do more.   

I guess I hadn't been paying attention because I thought yesterday's hearing was to be about sentence reductions for the elderly people in prison.
I really wish I could have listened to it, but had to take my mom to the  Dr. in the morning and then help with a big youth event and concert at church the rest of the day. 

I sure hope someone will give us more info on what was talked about yesterday. 

I also hope the next meeting will be in Springfield!

The elderly bill is all part of it to reduce the prison population, along with everything else these articles are talking about to reduce those in prison and those that may be going to prison.  We have to stop the overcrowding and possible new legislation on sentencing etc will be brought forward.

Not sure where the next meeting will be, IPT will post as soon as we know, but it may not be that meeting that families will be able to testify, that may not be until later in the year at future hearings.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »

For those members who want to do talk/write to these Committee Members, reread Bill Ryan's testimony for ideas:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/pdf/jointcomm2014.pdf

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
Free some older, nonviolent, longtime prisoners: activist

Tue, 07/22/2014 - 10:07am
Thomas Frisbie

Should prisoners over age 50 who have served at least 25 years have a chance to get parole?

The Illinois Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee is holding hearings on prison crowding and sentencing, and here is part of what prison-reform activist Bill Ryan plans to tell the committee on Aug. 19, the second of the committee's hearings (the first was July 15). Ryan belongs to several groups, including the Illinois Institute for Community Law, the National Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression-Chicago and Project 1-11, and he  is a co-founder of Stateville Speaks, an Illinois prison newspaper now in its 10th year.

Quotes from his planned testimony. :

-- "During the past 20 years I have come to know many elderly men and women in prison. I consider many of them good friends. Many have reformed themselves and present no threat to anybody. There are others who should not be released. I am convinced that a human being is more than the worst thing he or she has done."

-- "In Illinois, there are about 49,000 people in prison and another 25,000 on parole. About 60 percent of people released come back within three years. This is a failing system."

-- "Currently there are about 800 men and women who meet these criteria. (Twenty years ago there were 32.) If 100 of the 800 eligible people were to earn parole, the state would reduce expenditures by $7.5 million."

-- "Some victims’ families, supported by prosecutors, are opposed to any kind of sentence review. There are other victims’ families who support the Elderly Bill. Please remember in your deliberations that there is no one voice for crime victims’ family members."

-- "With savings from a reduced prison population, money could be directed toward crime victims’ needs—toward helping to restore broken families and communities, toward good rather than harm."

Ryan previously testified on March 4 about HB 3668, a bill that would have given older prisoners a chance to get parole. He hopes that idea will be part of any new legislation. The committee hopes to have legislation to deal with prison crowding and disparate racial sentencing drawn up by December so it can be voted on in the Legislature's veto session, he said.

Earlier this month, Gov. Pat Quinn outlined his hopes for the legislation, saying, "As I've made clear, it is necessary to take a comprehensive approach to public safety that includes stronger gun laws such as those included in the Public Safety Act, smarter sentencing reforms and greater investments in proven re-entry and diversion programs as I proposed in this year's budget."

Co-chair state Rep. Michael Zalewski pushed to form the committee during the spring legislative session.

Read a Feb. 13 Chicago Sun-Times editorial headlined "Take a new look at cost of keeping old prisoners" here.

http://politics.suntimes.com/article/springfield/free-some-older-nonviolent-longtime-prisoners-activist/tue-07222014-307pm

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »
The next meeting for the Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee on Sentencing Reform will be on:

8/19/2014  -  10:00 AM 
C600 Michael A. Bilandic Building
Chicago, IL

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 07:24:38 AM »

Notes provided by Project I-11 for the meeting on July 15th

Legislative Activity

Adopted on May 30, 2014, the newly formed Criminal Justice Reform Committee held its first meeting to a packed house in Chicago on July 15.

Co-chairs Rep. Michael Zalewski (D-Riverside) and Sen. Michael Noland (D-Elgin) chaired the meeting. The speakers were Salvador Godinez, director of IDOC; Kathy Saltmarsh, executive director of the Illinois Sentencing Policy Advisory Council; John Maki, executive director of John Howard Association; Cara Smith, executive director of Cook County Jail; and Raymond Rose, undersheriff of Lake County.

This three-hour hearing was devoted to numbers, data, research – how many prisoners we have, who they are, how much they cost; and what programs should be established to reduce the prison population and lower costs. Most suggestions were aimed at assisting short-termers and the overlapping group of nonviolent prisoners. Nevertheless, Rep. Turner asked important questions about the rising and increasingly expensive group of elderly prisoners, who are largely long-termers convicted of violent crimes.

Kathy Saltmarsh provided the analytical basis for arguing that parole for long-termers is necessary, by informing the committee that the State must move out some long-termers now serving sentences if it wishes to reduce the prison population; decreasing sentences for those convicted down the road or shortening sentences for short-termers or is not enough.

All speakers, and even the Committee members, seemed united in the belief that something must be done to bring down the prison population, and that right-minded remedies such as reentry programs and community-based diversion programs are necessary. Yet Committee members also spoke of the fear of voter backlash when someone released early commits a high-profile crime, and they noted, not always with sureness, that tremendous courage was necessary to withstand the negative criticism. The Committee expects to hold further meetings, and will ask for testimony from the public at some point. Currently, their report is due by December 1.

August 19 Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee meeting

The next hearing of Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee is on August 19, at 10 am, on the 6th floor (C-600) of the Bilandic Building. The address is 160 North LaSalle Street, Chicago.

Committee members are interested in sentencing reform in order to reduce violence, decrease prison population, and make sentencing more just and effective. The Committee needs to hear your concerns and suggestions. Please attend this hearing as well as contact the committee members. Members and contact info can be found on General Assembly website.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »

The Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee was established to “examine the impact of current sentencing structure, ensure the enforcement and punishment of crime does not disproportionally or unfairly affect certain racial, ethnic, or other groups, and develop solutions to address the issues that exist within the system.”

Given racial disparities in criminal sentencing and dire conditions inside Illinois prisons, the
formation of this committee seemed promising. But if the first public hearings are any indication, neither serious discussion nor broad public input will occur. The committee will hold more hearings before the final report is submitted in December, and I hope that the process improves dramatically.

At the two hearings I attended, suggested time frames were ignored, so most of the speakers had very little time. The disregard for time and structure was at odds with the purpose of public hearings: to provide a forum for many voices to be heard. I wanted to represent the voices and experiences of elderly people in prison, but my already meager amount of time (3-5 minutes) was cut in half.

Mass incarceration is a moral crisis. This committee needs to think expansively about how to
address a range of critical matters. How can we lower the recidivism rate? How can we
eliminate overcrowding? How can we prevent wrongful deaths and medical malfeasance inside
prisons? How can we eradicate the racial bias that occurs at every juncture of the system, from
surveillance to arrest to prosecution to sentencing? How can we align sentencing practices with
human rights standards?

I hope that we are at the beginning of an effort to fashion a criminal justice system driven by
fairness and democratic principles rather than fear and cynicism. Illinois can build on its
courageous decision to confront, rather than deny, the failures of the death penalty. We need
an honest assessment of what is happening to men, women, and teenagers in prison. The time
is now to redirect our resources and policies. I look forward to a more deliberative and fair
process at subsequent hearings.

Bill Ryan

Please Contact Committee Members and let them know your concerns, now is the time for comprehensive reform!!

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
I've never been to any of these types of things, so, I feel I need to ask.  Is it better to contact them through email beforehand, or just show up?  What's the best course of action here?  While visiting, I told my l/o about the next meeting (he gave me a few suggestions before the most recent meeting, which I already passed along to committee members), and he told me that he's got more ideas to pass along (and so do a couple of his friends).  I told him to get me the ideas and I would make sure to pass them along.  I plan to go to the next meeting, but, would there be reason to email?  Is everything scheduled?  Do I need to reserve a seat or anything like that?  And what's the dresscode?  I'd imagine the nicer you look the more they pay attention, but, I'm just wondering how formal these things really are.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
Email them beforehand, then make up a packet with all your ideas and have copies to give them at the meeting you want to testify at.  If you want all the members to have a copy have enough and a few extra, you never know who might want one.

This past meeting, everyone was to have 10 minutes to speak, most ofthe States Attorneys of course got to all go first and went over their time limits, because they all had to leave and get back to their offices.  This meeting went over an hour + longer than it was suppose to and Bill and others had to cut their testimony short because of that.

You don't have to reserve a seat, just get there by on time and there should be seats, or will be as people leave.

The men are usually all in suits and the women are in business attire, I would say no jeans/sweats orreal casual wear and you are right, the more professional one comes across the better it always is.

Don't forget this is the State of Illinois Building, so you will be checked going in through metals detectors and then allowed to go up to where the meeting is.

Offline momm316

• FOM Editor
  • The King is Coming!
    • Fishers of Men Prison Ministries
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
The only bill that was getting any thought last session was House Bill 3668 - I am pasting it below.  I did notice that a  new individual (Rep. Linda Chapa LaVia) signed on to co-sponsor in August.  But it is stuck in Rules Committee now, where they usually send things to die....  The General Assembly does not resume until after the election in November...  It would have to be re-introduced with a new number for the next General Assembly Session.

HB 3668
Short Description:  CD CORR-SENTENCE ELDERLY

House Sponsors
Rep. Arthur Turner - William Davis - Emanuel Chris Welch - Derrick Smith - Barbara Flynn Currie, Mary E. Flowers, Naomi D. Jakobsson, Esther Golar, Elaine Nekritz, Monique D. Davis, Camille Y. Lilly and Linda Chapa LaVia

Last Action
Date   Chamber    Action
  4/11/2014   House   Rule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
730 ILCS 5/3-3-2   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-3-2
730 ILCS 5/5-8-1   from Ch. 38, par. 1005-8-1
730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.4 new   

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Provides that a committed person who is at least 50 years of age and who has served at least 25 consecutive years of imprisonment in a Department of Corrections institution or facility may petition the Prisoner Review Board for participation in the Elderly Rehabilitated Prisoner Sentence Modification Program. Provides that if the committed person files the petition, the victims and the families of the victims of the committed person's offenses shall be notified in a timely manner after the filing of the petition. Provides that the Board shall consider the petition in its entirety and shall not order the release of the committed person if it finds that the committed person poses a threat to public safety. Provides that if the Board determines that a committed person is eligible for participation in the Program and that the committed person should participate in the Program, the Board shall set the conditions for the committed person's release from prison before the expiration of his or her sentence. Provides that when granting participation in the Program, the Board may require the committed person, for a period of time upon release, to participate in community service or to wear an electronic monitoring device, or both.

House Committee Amendment No. 1
Adds reference to:
730 ILCS 5/3-3-3   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-3-3
730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.5 new   

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the provisions of the bill, except: (1) refers to the Program as the Sentence Modification Program; (2) provides that the petition shall contain reasons why the committed person should be granted participation in the Program and, where possible, should provide relevant documentation and statements of support; (3) provides that the petition shall, in the first instance, be screened by the Department of Corrections, which shall determine whether the petitioner should be considered for participation in the Program; (4) provides that the victim or the victim's family shall be notified of any public meeting at which the Prisoner Review Board intends to deliberate on the committed person's participation in the Program; (5) provides that beginning on the effective date of the amendatory Act, notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, all persons serving sentences in the Department of Corrections are eligible to participate in the Sentence Modification Program; (6) provides that notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, any committed person who is serving a sentence, including one who has not yet served the minimum term of the sentence, who is diagnosed as suffering from a terminal or debilitating condition so as to render the committed person unlikely to be physically capable of presenting a danger to society, may be released on medical parole to a hospital, hospice, other licensed inpatient facility, or suitable housing accommodation as specified by the Board; (7) provides that the Department shall promptly notify the Board upon receipt of medical information that a committed person has a diagnosis of a terminal or debilitating condition which prevents him or her from filing a petition on his or her own; (8) provides that the Prisoner Review Board shall consider an appropriate plan for living arrangements, which indicates if the person intends to seek admission to a nursing facility and the name of the facility if known; (9) provides that if the committed person's plan for living arrangements includes relocation to a nursing facility, the Board shall notify the facility of the committed person's intent at least 30 days prior to the committed person's release; and (10) provides that the Board shall, prior to committed person's release, arrange for the committed person to be prescreened and to make application for Medicaid Long Term Care services and the Board shall transmit to the facility prior to the committed person's admission documentation of the prescreening and the committed person's eligibility for Medicaid Long Term Care services, and the committed person's prison and criminal history; the later shall serve to meet the nursing facilities obligation to perform a background check.

Actions
Date   Chamber    Action
  9/4/2013           House   Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Arthur Turner
  10/22/2013   House   First Reading
  10/22/2013   House   Referred to Rules Committee
  12/12/2013   House   Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. William Davis
  1/13/2014   House   Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Emanuel Chris Welch
  1/14/2014   House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Mary E. Flowers
  1/15/2014   House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Naomi D. Jakobsson
  2/3/2014           House   Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Derrick Smith
  2/4/2014           House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie
  2/10/2014   House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Esther Golar
  2/10/2014   House   Added Chief Co-Sponsor Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie
  2/10/2014   House   Removed Co-Sponsor Rep. Barbara Flynn Currie
  2/10/2014   House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Elaine Nekritz
  2/18/2014   House   Assigned to Restorative Justice Committee
  2/20/2014   House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Monique D. Davis
  3/18/2014   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Filed with Clerk by Rep. Arthur Turner
  3/18/2014   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Referred to Rules Committee
  3/19/2014   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Rules Refers to Restorative Justice Committee
  3/25/2014   House   House Committee Amendment No. 1 Adopted in Restorative Justice Committee; by Voice Vote
  3/25/2014   House   Do Pass as Amended / Standard Debate Restorative Justice Committee; 004-003-000
  3/25/2014   House   Placed on Calendar 2nd Reading - Standard Debate
  4/3/2014           House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Camille Y. Lilly
  4/9/2014           House   Second Reading - Standard Debate
  4/9/2014           House   Placed on Calendar Order of 3rd Reading - Standard Debate
  4/11/2014   House   Rule 19(a) / Re-referred to Rules Committee
  8/5/2014           House   Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Linda Chapa LaVia

My son heard the same rumors that were talked about above and I had to tell him that no, there was no legislation passed and there is nothing the governor is waiting to sign.  The fact is... if any legislation was being considered, the media would be all over it.... and if any legislation passes, the governor has 60 days to sign or veto it.  Otherwise, it becomes law in 60 days if it has passed both the Senate and House.
Because of Him, I am!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 07:14:19 AM »
Momm316, the particular bill you posted above is dead, but there is a committee holding hearings now that wants to draft new legislation and that is why this topic has been posted for information on the new legislation, the hearings and all that is going on in regards to that, but nothing is final and when it is and if the NEW bill does get drafted we will have the information here on IPT.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »

The next TWO meetings of this committee will also be held in Chicago

Sept 23rd at 10 am - - and Oct 14th at 1:30 pm   

they will be in room C600 at the  Bilandic Building

Offline jaf

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »
JHA Brings Right On Crime to Illinois

As Illinois' only non-partisan prison watchdog, the John Howard Association is part of a growing and diverse coalition of elected officials and policy advocates who believe that the country needs to safely reduce its use of incarceration.

In the past several years, conservatives have played a leading role in this movement, driving some of the most innovative and effective reform in the country.

JHA is proud to bring one of the leading conservative criminal justice reform leaders to Illinois, Marc Levin.

The Policy Director of Right on Crime, Levin's work has attracted the support of leading conservative figures, as he and his initiative advocate for reduced reliance on expensive prisons as a response to crime and more cost-effective approaches to enhancing public safety. POLITICO Magazine recently recognized Levin in its annual list of the nation's top 50 "key thinkers, doeers and dreamers reshaping American politics."

On Tuesday, September 23rd at 10 a.m., Levin will testify before the General Assembly's Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee. Created earlier this year by a legislative resolution, the Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee was directed "to examine the impact of the current sentencing structure, ensure that the enforcement and punishment of crimes do not disproportionately or unfairly affect certain racial, ethnic, or minority groups, and develop solutions to address the issues that exist within the system."

You can listen to Levin's testimony at the time of hearing on the General Assembly's website: http://www.ilga.gov/senate/audvid.asp

In Chicago, you can watch Levin talk about his work on CLTV's Politics Tonight on Monday, September 22nd at 6 p.m.

On Tuesday morning at 9 a.m, Levin will be on WBEZ's The Morning Shift, which you can listen to on 91.5 FM in Chicago or online at www.wbez.org.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 05:41:05 PM »
Momm316, the particular bill you posted above is dead, but there is a committee holding hearings now that wants to draft new legislation and that is why this topic has been posted for information on the new legislation, the hearings and all that is going on in regards to that, but nothing is final and when it is and if the NEW bill does get drafted we will have the information here on IPT.

When did this die? In August a new supporter was added. With a new republican governor seated does this mean he will not sign if it passes?
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »

When did this die? In August a new supporter was added. With a new republican governor seated does this mean he will not sign if it passes?

Go back and read this post, this is what died.

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=30638.msg252214#msg252214

The elderly billed being talked about in this whole topic is still on going on with the Joint Criminal Justice Reform Committee.  Not sure when the next meeting is.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »

New Legislation brought forward by Art Turner 2/2/2015

HB #1310

Bill Status of HB1310  99th General Assembly
  Full Text  Votes  View All Actions  Printer-Friendly Version

Short Description:  CD CORR-EARLY RELEASE

House Sponsors
Rep. Arthur Turner

Last Action
Date   Chamber          Action
  2/3/2015   House   Referred to Rules Committee

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance

730 ILCS 5/3-3-2   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-3-2
   730 ILCS 5/3-3-3   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-3-3
   730 ILCS 5/3-6-3   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-6-3
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1   from Ch. 38, par. 1005-8-1
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.4 new   
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.5 new   
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.6 new   
   730 ILCS 5/5-8-1.7 new   

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Provides that a committed person who is at least 55 years of age and who has served at least 25 consecutive years of imprisonment in a Department of Corrections institution or facility may petition the Prisoner Review Board for participation in the Sentence Modification Program. Provides that the Department of Corrections shall review the criminal history of the petitioner and the petitioner's conduct while incarcerated in a facility or facilities of the Department of Corrections and shall administer a risk assessment and medical, psychological, and psychiatric assessments of the petitioner before submitting the petition to the Board. Provides that no more than 100 committed persons shall be allowed to participate in the Program. Provides that the conditions of the Program shall include 15 hours of weekly community service approved by the Board. Twenty percent of the money earned by the participant in the Program shall be deducted from the participant's wages and donated by the administrator of the Program to a victim's organization. Provides that a committed person who is serving a sentence, including one who has not yet served the minimum term of the sentence, who is diagnosed as suffering from a terminal condition so as to render the committed person likely to live less than 9 months may be released on medical parole to a hospital, hospice, other licensed inpatient facility, or suitable housing accommodation as specified by the Board. Provides that the Department of Corrections shall review first-time non-violent offenders to determine their eligibility for the Sentence Modification Program. Provides that to be eligible for the Program, the committed person must be a first time non-violent offender. Provides that the Department shall review the criminal history of the offender and the offender's conduct while incarcerated in a facility or facilities of the Department of Corrections. Provides that the Department shall administer a risk assessment and medical, psychological, and psychiatric assessments of an offender before admission into the Program. Provides that an offender who meets the criteria established by this provision and the Department shall be considered by the Department for a reduction of up to 40% of his or her sentence.

Actions
Date   Chamber    Action
  2/2/2015   House   Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Arthur Turner
  2/3/2015   House   First Reading
  2/3/2015   House   Referred to Rules Committee

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=1310&GAID=13&SessionID=88&LegID=85794

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
 A Moral Imperative: Release Aging and Long-Term Prisoners

Tuesday, 10 February 2015 09:38 By Jean Trounstine, Truthout | News Analysis

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/29028-a-moral-imperative-release-aging-and-long-term-prisoners#

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 08:02:49 PM »
HB1310  2/17/2015   House   Assigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee

It's time to contact your representatives now about this bill.

Representative Turner is revising the bill for Truth in Sentencing.

If you are interested in getting involved and possible attend news conferences, etc. PM me or Bill Ryan for more information.

Offline jaf

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 07:55:40 AM »
HB1310  2/17/2015   House   Assigned to Judiciary - Criminal Committee

It's time to contact your representatives now about this bill.

Representative Turner is revising the bill for Truth in Sentencing.

If you are interested in getting involved and possible attend news conferences, etc. PM me or Bill Ryan for more information.

I would try to come if it's in Springfield.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »

TIME TO GET INVOLVED, start by calling your State Reps and letting them know you support this new legislation!!!!

Art Turner (D-9)introduced HB 1310 as first  installment of New Beginning legislation.

This  package will begin to  address prison overcrowding, reduce costs, and increase security.

Legislation  includes HB 1310 a pilot project for 100 elder prisoners who have reached 55 and served 25 consecutive years. DOC will select 100 offenders and refer to  Parole Board for parole plan. victims families can participate in process that includes risk assessment and testing.Restorative justice services will be offered.Parole plans may include participation in community services   Each elderly offender costs $75.000 a year to warehouse.

HB 291  modifies appointment of special prosecutor in light of what happened in Ferguson.

A  bill revising truth in sentencing will also be part of new beginning.

Tuner is expected to have a full public announcement in few weeks and is seeking bipartisan support.

A  press conference announcing legislation soon. Details will follow.

Please contact legislators NOW, telling them to support and ask everyone you know to help support by doing the same !!

Thanks
Bill Ryan

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
If you are unsure of who your State Rep is, you can use this link to find out by just entering your zip code. 

Your State Rep will come up and you can click on their name for contact information.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »

Click on this link, and then on the Senate/House Members, click ... their Districts are listed, call that State Rep for your district, they are the ones that vote on these bills.

http://www.housedem.state.il.us/GeneralAssembly.htm

Offline kasa

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
what do we actually need to say to them ?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
what do we actually need to say to them ?

Please support this legislation.

Offline sarashane

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »
So this new bill is completely different from hb3668.  Is 3668 over and done with?  This is most distressing for us with loved ones with violent offenses. 
I had to go to a prison to find a man who treats me right!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »
So this new bill is completely different from hb3668.  Is 3668 over and done with?  This is most distressing for us with loved ones with violent offenses.  

HB3668 died in session 12.3.2014

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=3668&GAID=12&DocTypeID=HB&SessionID=85&GA=98

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.