• February 20, 2019, 10:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Work Release Denial  (Read 3989 times)

Offline jnyount

Work Release Denial
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
My s/o was put on the list from Springfield for work release and signed the paperwork for it in early March. He was denied in early April from the institution. He's in Hardin County Work Camp and Shawnee denied him. His counselor told him that it was because of criminal history. He had a domestic battery charge in 2000 and that is what is disqualifying him from work release. His counselor told him that once he was denied from Shawnee that he could not be placed on the list from the institution level again and that he could go through the grievance process but they won't do anything about that either and that he should contact the transfer coordinator in Springfield. So we contacted Sadra Funk in Springfield and I got a reply today saying that they can't manually place someone on the work release list because it is automatically generated by the computer and that he needs to go through the grievance process in Shawnee and they are the ones that can put him on the list since it was denied by the institution. This is very frustrating because we are getting two completely different answers. Does anybody know what he can really do?? He is in there with two guys that were denied and then have been placed back on the list, so I know that is possible. But what is the next step? And has the criteria been changed for domestic battery charges? I was told by yet another counselor that because the charge was 10 years old that wouldn't disqualify him from work release. Is that true? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Work Release Denial
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »
If you go to this post, you will see that qualifications for being granted work release:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=22828.0

I don't see anything on there about domestic battery, unless his conviction  was a Class X felony.

Normally if someone is denied work release, they are allowed to re-apply in six months.  If Sandra Funk is telling you your LO now has to file a grievance, I would listen to what she is telling you, she is the person in charge for transfers. 

There are 100's of guys that apply for work release, but only a handful are granted, mostly because of space, they just don't have enough centers to handle all the guys that want to go.

Good Luck, I hope your LO is eventually successful.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”