Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 21, 2014, 03:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work Release  (Read 1115 times)
Monlovejohn

« on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »

Does anyone know how long it takes to get approved for work release?? My l/o counselor put in for him to get out on Work release was just wonder how long is the process if anyone knew also if he counselor put in for him to come out does that mean most likely he will get it?? Thanks
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »

Does anyone know how long it takes to get approved for work release?? My l/o counselor put in for him to get out on Work release was just wonder how long is the process if anyone knew also if he counselor put in for him to come out does that mean most likely he will get it?? Thanks

He will be approved by the facility first, this could take a month or so, if his facility approves him, it then  goes on to Springfield where they will either deny or approve.  Be patient, this could take a few months.

There are more guys applying for work release than there are centers to hold them, so many are rejected the first time they apply.  Good luck to your LO, hope he is approved soon!

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
roxriver

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »

Can anyone tell me what permanent party means for work release.  My son will be able to apply for work release next spring he needs as much information as possible

Thank you
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »

Permanent Party Assignment to a work release center is a bit different than someone who is going to an ATC to go our and work in the community.

Permanent Party are inmates who are assigned to the ATC or work release center as residents. Their job is to cook and maintain the facility.

If you go to these topics, you can read what we have previously talked about with permanent party:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=24628.msg196801#msg196801

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=30539.msg234716#msg234716

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php/topic,22828.msg178364.html#msg178364

You can also do a search on the ATC board, search box at top of forum for permanent party and more information will come up.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
LMD

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »

Permanent party is pretty much a way to get to an ATC six months earlier than getting there on regular work release.  An inmate is eligible to apply for permanent party when he/she is 32 months short, whereas they would not be eligible to apply for work release until they were 26 months short.  As Mah indicated, permanent party residents are accepted under cooking or maintenance assignments.  When filling out the initial request paperwork, it is important to stress one's prior experience in either one, or both, of these areas.  This will increase the chance for acceptance.

Permanent party inmates sign a six month contract for work at the ATC.  After this contract is up they automatically transition to "regular" work release and are then eligible to work in the community.  (Sometimes they are even allowed to get a regular part time job while in their fifth month as a permanent party as long as the outside work does not interfere with their schedule at the ATC.)  Upon their contract completion, the inmate will immediately gain the status of a Level 3 ATC resident. 

Permanent party residents can leave the facility to go to Walmart two times per month and may have the opportunity to leave on "permanent party outings" with the other PPers, as approved on a once-a-month basis.  As with all movement, these outings are strictly regulated and are in no way guaranteed.  Permanent party inmates can also leave the facility on a "special request" for medical and dental appointments as needed and may also be allowed to leave on clothing/shoe shopping requests once in a while (never more than once a month).

Conduct is of the utmost importance.  Space at the ATCs is extremely limited and many inmates would give anything for the opportunity to be placed there.  Follow the rules to the letter, get a job and keep it, and always be exactly where you are approved to be (no unauthorized movement).  It is a huge privilege to be placed at an ATC and should always be treated as such.  Tell your son to closely follow all of the rules and he will be home on weekends before you know it!
roxriver

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »

Thanks for the information it helped a lot. He has taken as many classes as he was able to he worked in industries at Western. He is starting classes next week for food certification and general subjects.  Hopefully work release will be his next step.  Thanks again
roxriver

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

My son wanted me to ask if he was denied for permanent party would he still be able to apply for regular work release?  This hasn't happened yet still has time to wait but they worry about everything.

Thank you for your help
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »

My son wanted me to ask if he was denied for permanent party would he still be able to apply for regular work release?  This hasn't happened yet still has time to wait but they worry about everything.

Thank you for your help

Yes, he could still apply for work release after 6 months. 

Work release/permanent party is hard to get into, because so many inmates want this and there are only so many spaces available.  They just recently closed down a couple centers, so that makes it even harder.

Don't forget, he can apply for permanent party at 33 months short and work release as 26 months, but he would not be able to physically go to work release until he is 2 years short.

roxriver

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »

Is it better to wait for regular work release instead of permanent party? 
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »

Is it better to wait for regular work release instead of permanent party? 

I can't answer that, because everyone is different and I don't know what he wants, if he would be happy working in the facility before he would be able to go out and work outside the facility.   

He would have to wait approximately 6 months anyway if he applied for PP and denied to reapply for work release.

jna

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »

After reading through the topics on IPT about work release I am baffled! My L/O counselor at Sheridan told him: Work release is not something he (my L/O) applies for yet.   He has to wait until his name "pops up" in Springfield and then Springfield will contact the prison and let the counselor know that the inmate is eligible to "apply". My L/O is 21 months from his projected out date, he is eligible for ssc but has not been granted it yet. So, is what his counselor says true?

My best friend, my soul mate, my husband
Home by June 2014 if he gets the 6 months SSC
Marks_guy
Support Staff

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 09:44:08 AM »

From what I understand, Springfield DOES generate a list of eligible inmates, but that list means little in the whole process. An inmate may still apply, if they meet all the conditions, even if their name isn't on the list.
LMD

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »

Being 21 months short he is eligible to apply for work release.  Inmates are eligible to apply once they are 26 months short.  There is an actual application that they should be able to get from the counselors.  Marks_guy is right, many of the individuals transferred to work release initiated this process and were never on the Springfield list, being on/not being on this list does not determine work release eligibility.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: