• October 19, 2018, 10:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Deal In The Works For Old Joliet Prison  (Read 42448 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Deal In The Works For Old Joliet Prison
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
 Mayor Giarrante says deal in the works for old Joliet prison

By Bob Okon bokon@stmedianetwork.com March 20, 2013 10:34AM

Updated: March 20, 2013 10:38AM

The city has a prospective developer lined up for the old Joliet prison on Collins Street.

Mayor Thomas Giarrante described the potential deal as “preliminary.” But he was confident enough in the prospect to announce it during his State of the City address Wednesday.

“The Collins Street prison continues to be a challenge,” Giarrante told the audience.

Then, he added, “We have someone who is very interested in that prison. He has some great ideas. But first we need the state of Illiois to turn that propery over to us so we can work with that person.”

Giarrante would not elaborate on the prospective development later when asked for details. But the city would have to have some confidence in the prospect if it is willing to take over the aging prison from the state of Illinois.

The former Joliet Correctional Center has deteriorated to the point that a consultant hired by the city last year reported that if the prison is not renovated in the near future it would become irreparable.

The prison was built in 1858. Its limestone walls and guard towers give it an iconic look that has been used for settings in movies and TV shows. The city set up a visitors’ site in the parking lot with sign boards telling the history of the prison to accommodate travelers who stop to see the prison during trips through Joliet.

But the state shut down operations in 2002, and there has been little upkeep since.

The city has looked for prospective developers who might be interested in turning the prison into a tourist destination, something that has been done with other prisons with historical value.

http://heraldnews.suntimes.com/news/18973807-418/mayor-giarrante-says-deal-in-the-works-for-old-joliet-prison.html

Photos to follow ...
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Deal In The Works For Old Joliet Prison
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline humbird37

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:10:10 AM »
Mah....I just have to tell you when I opened this, I thought there was a bug on my screen...until I tried to kill it!  Ha...ha...ha....
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline blueroses64

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
Me too!  Love the little bug....