Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 05:59:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fair Sentencing for Children Meeting 3/4/2013  (Read 462 times)
Forevermah
Administrator

« on: March 03, 2013, 07:36:53 AM »

This Monday, members of the Illinois Coalition for the Fair Sentencing of Children and family members of individuals currently serving Juvenile Life Without Parole sentences will be at SSA to discuss legislation that has recently been introduced in Illinois (HB 1348 & SB 1858). This should be an incredible opportunity not only to become involved in legislative advocacy around the issue of Juvenile Life Without Parole in Springfield, but also to hear the lived experience of families directly affected by incarceration and the practice of effectively sentencing adolescents to die in prison.

Please join us for this panel discussion this coming monday Monday, March 4th at 4:30pm in SSA Room EI!

Refreshments will be provided!

Katie Berringer & Kayla Bennett
Students at the Intersection of Social Work & Criminal Justice

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Esmom

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »

This bill has given my son hope that he may not die in prison for a crime he committed when he was only 16 years old. He has served 15 years. I hope everyone will support this bill. I have been to the meetings with other family members and I know they all will thank everyone that helps us get this done for all the children that have been given the death sentence of life without parole.
pmilver

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »

I hope the bill passes for you, your son and all others affected by this.  It is now widely known that people do not have mature, adult brains until around the age of 25.  Until that age, the emotional part of the brain is highly over active and the reasoning portion is way under active.  I will be hoping and praying the bill passes.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: