• October 15, 2018, 04:04:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Contacting Securus Technologies  (Read 17090 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Contacting Securus Technologies
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:38:49 AM »
In the coming weeks, everyone who has a LO in IDOC will have to set up a new phone service with Securus Technologies to be able to receive their calls from IDOC.  They will be the new provider for all inmates calls, etc for IDOC.  The changes are being made now and each week new facilities are being connected and all systems are to be completed by March 31, 2013.

This page will be edited with more information as we go, but for now, here is the contact information for Securus and we also have another discussion board going here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29171.0

NOTE:  The Securus website does not work with Safari Browser, it is recommended to use IE, Firefox and Google Chrome will also work.  You can open your account on line prior to contacting them by phone.  You have to have an account # before your call will go through.

Service:
Main Support: 1-800-844-6591
Securus Video Visitation Support: 1-877-578-3658

http://www.securustech.net/

AdvanceConnect™ account    Inmate Debit account

Our prepaid AdvanceConnect account puts you in control of your spending and ensures you can receive calls from correctional facilities.

This account offers the following benefits:

Your phone line is open as long as funds are kept in the account
    You can add multiple phone numbers to your account to ensure you receive all your calls (work, cell, other relatives, neighbors, friends, etc.)
    Calls will connect to cell phones, subject to facility restrictions
    No minimum funding amount*
    You have 24/7/365 access to your account through our automated customer service IVR and website

You may receive an automated call from us, letting you know when you need to place additional money into your account to ensure you can receive calls from correctional facility(ies).

To fund an AdvanceConnect account:

Manage My Account
Open a New Account

CALL
1-800-844-6591

OTHER METHODS
You can mail in your money order, personal check or cashier’s check as well as visit any MoneyGram or Western Union location. See details.
*Terms, Conditions & Fees

Inmate Debit

is an inmate-owned prepaid calling account that gives inmates the ability to pay for telephone calls. Correctional facilities have the option to allow friends & family to add money to Inmate Debit accounts. If permitted by the correctional facility, friends & family may deposit funds directly into an Inmate Debit account using the Securus points of sale listed below.

Allows the inmate to call anyone on their approved calling list without requiring Friends & Family members to create separate prepaid accounts
    Low minimum funding amount of only $25.00*
    You have access to fund an inmate's Debit account through our website and customer service representatives

Funds placed in the Inmate Debit account will become the property of the inmate and Friends & Family members will not be able to receive refunds on this account. This product is currently available at limited facilities.

To fund an Inmate Debit account:

Fund an Inmate Debit account

CALL
1-800-844-6591

OTHER METHODS
Create a remittance slip and mail in your money order, personal check or cashier?s check as well as visit any MoneyGram location. See details.
Direct Bill account    Traditional Collect account

A Direct Bill account

allows Friends & Family members and Special Accounts Group members to receive collect calls from inmates and have the charges billed directly to them each month. This account is most suitable for Friends & Family members of long-stay inmates (2+ years) or if you are an attorney, bail bondsmen, consulate, social worker or other small business or government agency. A credit check is required for a Friend or Family member to open a Direct Bill account (in most states).

Itemized monthly statement of call activity
    You can receive all the calls you need to, up to your credit limit
    You can add multiple phone numbers to your account to ensure you receive all your calls
    Your phone line is open as long as the account balance is paid in full by the due date
    No minimum payment amount*
    You have 24/7/365 access to your account through our automated customer service IVR and website

Please Contact Us to open a new Direct Bill account. If you have received notice that this Account was opened automatically for you, you will want to set up access to manage your account online.

To make a payment on your Direct Bill account:

Manage My Account
Open a New Account

CALL
1-800-844-6591

OTHER METHODS
You can mail in your money order, personal check or cashier’s check as well as visit any MoneyGram or Western Union location. See details.

The Traditional Collect account

is our standard payment product and is a convenient way to accept and pay for collect calls received from inmates. Call charges appear on your local phone bill.

A Traditional Collect account is created automatically for you when you accept a collect call
    Your phone number is used as your account number
    Provides you with an individual 90-day rolling spending limit
    Call charges appear on your local phone bill

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline mikaelarose

Re: Contacting Securus Technologies
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
is there a list somewhere that states which facilities have been changed over? Or the dates each one will change individually?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
is there a list somewhere that states which facilities have been changed over? Or the dates each one will change individually?

Check out this link:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29389.0
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline stan77

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
All various account types are nicely outliined here; thank you.  But are there different costs associated with each of these?  It sure would be nice to determine the most cost effective one to choose!  Any input?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
All various account types are nicely outliined here; thank you.  But are there different costs associated with each of these?  It sure would be nice to determine the most cost effective one to choose!  Any input?

From what I have been seeing, most are setting up the Advance Connect and average charge with taxes per call is $5.50 (approx).   Looks like Sheridan is to be hooked up by 2/27/2013.

I see that you also posted in our other topic and am sure you will get answers there too.  This is all new to everyone and all prisons should be hooked up by March 31. 

Offline teara29

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
I called Securus today . They said that Sheridan couldnt call cell phones ....it's unbelievable. How true could this be?

Offline Pbj

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »
So this is interesting. I went to the website to set up an account and when I clicked to do it I was told that the site does not support my browser type. I have a mac and use safari, and apparently it only supports Microsoft explorer and firefox. That is so weird. Guess I will have to do it at work. Anyone else have this problem?

Offline krstlcmpbll

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »
unfortunately my lo is probably going to have to go to county when he gets out, they use securus at that county's jail. is the account i have set up for the DOC going to work for the county jail too? He wont be there that long but just in case you know

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:09:58 AM »
I called Securus today . They said that Sheridan couldnt call cell phones ....it's unbelievable. How true could this be?

I don't think that is true, please read this post:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29171.msg229841#msg229841

She got a call from her LO on she was using a cell phone, maybe they misunderstood you.

Offline stan77

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 06:40:49 AM »
So this is interesting. I went to the website to set up an account and when I clicked to do it I was told that the site does not support my browser type. I have a mac and use safari, and apparently it only supports Microsoft explorer and firefox. That is so weird. Guess I will have to do it at work. Anyone else have this problem?

I did not have this problem; however, when I spoke to Customer Support at Securus (last week), the rep told me that Securus has some issues w/ their website and that they are revamping it.  One item he cited was that it only works w/ certain browsers.  For the rest of you, untill they get their website changed, the rep suggested that IE (internet explorer) be used, as their website works best with that.

Also, Sheridan CAN call cell phones through Securus.  I posted this to another thread.   Just last night, my l/o phoned our cell & the call came through Securus. 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:54 AM »

I did not have this problem; however, when I spoke to Customer Support at Securus (last week), the rep told me that Securus has some issues w/ their website and that they are revamping it.  One item he cited was that it only works w/ certain browsers.  For the rest of you, until they get their website changed, the rep suggested that IE (internet explorer) be used, as their website works best with that.

Also, Sheridan CAN call cell phones through Securus.  I posted this to another thread.   Just last night, my l/o phoned our cell & the call came through Securus. 

I am totally surprised that a website as big at theirs, would only work best on IE, when IE is one of the worst browsers to use and more and more people are migrating away from it.  Firefox is by far a much more secure browser, with less problems.

I would just download Firefox on your MAC for use on sites that Safari won't handle.  I use Firefox on a Mac all the time, among a few other browsers, no problems at all.  I have maneuvered Securus site on Firefox and no problems at all.

Offline kah2006

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »
It works with Google Chrome. That's what I use. I had to call Securus yesterday and was on hold for almost thirty minutes waiting to talk to an actual person. When I finally got someone though, she was very nice and helpful, completely unlike Consolidated agents!
A smart bear once said, "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - Winnie the Pooh

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 06:00:12 AM »
It works with Google Chrome. That's what I use. I had to call Securus yesterday and was on hold for almost thirty minutes waiting to talk to an actual person. When I finally got someone though, she was very nice and helpful, completely unlike Consolidated agents!

Thank you, I have put a special note in red above above the browser issue.  I am glad that their agents are nicer than Consolidated, but that is an awful long time to have to wait to talk to anyone.

Offline pmilver

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
I have a Mac Book and my Safari works fine online with Securus??  I set it up a month ago when my LO was at CCJ.  It also has worked to my cell phone and they told me that it will work at any prison??  

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
I have a Mac Book and my Safari works fine online with Securus??  I set it up a month ago when my LO was at CCJ.  It also has worked to my cell phone and they told me that it will work at any prison?? 

Have you tried to go their Open and Account page?  The rest of the site works OK on Safari, but not that page.

Offline stan77

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 05:13:28 PM »

I did not have this problem; however, when I spoke to Customer Support at Securus (last week), the rep told me that Securus has some issues w/ their website and that they are revamping it.  One item he cited was that it only works w/ certain browsers.  For the rest of you, until they get their website changed, the rep suggested that IE (internet explorer) be used, as their website works best with that.

I am totally surprised that a website as big at theirs, would only work best on IE, when IE is one of the worst browsers to use and more and more people are migrating away from it.  Firefox is by far a much more secure browser, with less problems.

I would just download Firefox on your MAC for use on sites that Safari won't handle.  I use Firefox on a Mac all the time, among a few other browsers, no problems at all.  I have maneuvered Securus site on Firefox and no problems at all.

The rep said it worked best on IE.  I use Firefox & it navigated their site fine.  I had no problems setting up an account using Firefox.  I was just relaying what the rep said.  He mentioned that it was certain screens (like making a payment) where you run into issues.  Specifically he stated with some browsers and depending upon what you have your screen resolution set to, the submit button is sometimes not viewable.   

Offline mikaelarose

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
I just set up a account on line and made a payment on line as well do I need to still contact them by phone? I received a confirmation that the payment went through

Offline krstlcmpbll

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
I am sure there is already an answer, but this board has gotten really long.  On my account online it says big muddy, but my loved one is in Graham, they haven't quite switched yet is that why it says big buddy instead of Graham? He will be able to call regardless correct? not that it really matters cause he is in seg, I just put a little money on phone just in case he gets out.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »
I am sure there is already an answer, but this board has gotten really long.  On my account online it says big muddy, but my loved one is in Graham, they haven't quite switched yet is that why it says big buddy instead of Graham? He will be able to call regardless correct? not that it really matters cause he is in seg, I just put a little money on phone just in case he gets out.

It will change from Big Muddy to Graham once they are connected. This has happened to everyone that has signed up before their location was connected.

Offline krstlcmpbll

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
thanks I thought i read that but like i said the board was so long