Monitoring Visit to Shawnee Correctional Center
On March 13, 2012, representatives of the John Howard Association (JHA) conducted a
monitoring visit to Shawnee Correctional Center
Shawnee Correctional Center is a medium-security male population facility. It is located
approximately six hours south of Chicago and four hours south of Springfield near the southern
border of Illinois in Vienna.
• While Shawnee benefits from leadership dedicated to providing a rehabilitative
environment and inmate programming, overcrowding and staffing issues threaten to
undermine administrators’ efforts.
• Inmates at Shawnee report excessive time in cells, infrequent access to counselors, and
concerns about cleanliness and staff conduct. Since JHA’s visit, Shawnee has
implemented a new cell cleaning regime.
• Shawnee, like other facilities, has significant facility repair needs.
• The facility had substantial waitlists for healthcare services and programming.
• Shawnee is to be commended for the quality and innovation of programming offered,
including a new recycling program, a sophisticated metal shop, and programs that utilize
inmate mentors as peer educators.
Design Capacity: 896
Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $16,325
Average Age: 33
Population by Race: 59% Black, 26%White,
and 15% Hispanic
Committed from Cook County: 50%
Committing Offense: 5% Murder, 27% Class
X, 23% Class 1, 26% Class 2, 9% Class 3,
and 10% Class 4 felonies.
Read the full report here:http://www.thejha.org/sites/default/files/Shawnee-Report-2012.pdf