• December 10, 2018, 07:08:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 267579 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #620 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:46 AM »
Years ago, they were not allowed to send mail overseas, not sure how that has changed.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Henrietta

« Reply #621 on: August 22, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
 :wc7: I was a bit tired and stressed when I wrote my last post so I apparently confused you :) Of course he can write me overseas, we have been doing that for a long time. I´ve sent him my phone number now after I to set up an account with Securus. What I wondered was if he would need my US address for his phone list. My thoughts were running wild that day! Sorry guys  :wc1: I´m a happy woman now, just have to be a bit patient and wait for my number to end up on his phone list, I can´t wait until I hear his voice  :wc59:

Offline ALeighLewis

« Reply #622 on: April 21, 2016, 04:35:14 AM »
Is securus the only option for idoc calls or can we choose another company?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #623 on: April 21, 2016, 07:08:06 AM »
Is securus the only option for idoc calls or can we choose another company?

You have to use Securus, or you could lose your phone privileges and your LO could go to SEG.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline ashleysiek

« Reply #624 on: September 09, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
How long does it typically take for an inmate to get a new number approved at dixon?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #625 on: September 10, 2016, 06:54:00 AM »
How long does it typically take for an inmate to get a new number approved at dixon?

It could take weeks.  He has to fill out a whole new list if he is adding someone or a new #, give it a least 2-3 weeks, anything before that is a bonus.

Offline Donandkat

« Reply #626 on: October 16, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »
I looked at my statement and for 15 mins or less it's $4.00 and over 15 it's $4.03 that is from Big muddy to Chicago

Online Jgmgirl

« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2016, 06:45:35 AM »
Hi. We use securus out of pontiac and i pay 4.08 for a 30 min call. I put money on my account on the website. No fees for that. You do have to add a minimum of 25.00 for prepay. :wc71: 

Offline Lu

« Reply #628 on: December 20, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
Do we have an update on what or whether there will be a reduction in phone charges from Securus beginning in January, 2017? 

Offline verysweet34

« Reply #629 on: December 21, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »
Do we have an update on what or whether there will be a reduction in phone charges from Securus beginning in January, 2017?

That's why I'm here. Hopefully they own up to dropping the calls to $2.10

Offline Mrs. G

• One Day
  • Even if u fall on ur face, u're still moving 4ward
« Reply #630 on: December 21, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=6200&GAID=13&SessionID=88&LegID=95740

Passed
 Bill Status of HB6200  99th General Assembly
Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
730 ILCS 5/3-4-1   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-4-1

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Provides that any commissions or revenues for the provision of pay telephones in institutions and facilities of the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice for those incarcerated are prohibited. Provides that the Department of Central Management Services shall contract with the qualified vendor who proposes the lowest per minute rate not exceeding 5 cents per minute for debit, prepaid, collect calls and who does not bill to any party any service charge or additional fee exceeding the per minute rate, including, but not limited to, any per call surcharge, account set up fee, bill statement fee, monthly account maintenance charge, or refund fee, as established by the Federal Communications Commission Order for state prisons in the Matter of Rates for Interstate Inmate Calling Services, Second Report and Order, WC Docket 12-375, FCC 15-136 (adopted Oct. 22, 2015). Provides that telephone services made available through a prepaid or collect call system shall include international calls; those calls shall be made available at reasonable rates subject to Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations, but not to exceed 25 cents per minute. Provides that the amendatory Act applies to any new or renewal contract for inmate calling services. Effective January 1, 2017.

House Floor Amendment No. 1
Provides that telephone services made available in the institutions and facilities of the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice through a prepaid or collect call system shall include international calls; those calls shall be made available at reasonable rates subject to Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations, but not to exceed 23 (rather than 25) cents per minute.

Senate Floor Amendment No. 1
Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the provisions of the engrossed bill. Restores provision that the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice may receive commissions from inmate collect call telephone systems under an agreement with the Department of Central Management Services. Deletes that any commissions or revenues for the provision of pay telephones in institutions and facilities of the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice for those incarcerated are prohibited. Provides that beginning January 1, 2018, the Department of Central Management Services shall contract with the qualified vendor who proposes the lowest per minute rate not exceeding 7 (rather than 5) cents per minute for debit, prepaid, collect calls and who does not bill to any party any tax, service charge, or additional fee exceeding the per minute rate. Restores language that moneys received by the Department of Corrections as commissions from inmate collect call telephone systems shall be deposited into the Department of Corrections Reimbursement and Education Fund. Effective January 1, 2017

Offline verysweet34

« Reply #631 on: December 21, 2016, 01:06:16 PM »
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=6200&GAID=13&SessionID=88&LegID=95740

Passed
 Bill Status of HB6200  99th General Assembly
Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
730 ILCS 5/3-4-1   from Ch. 38, par. 1003-4-1

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Unified Code of Corrections. Provides that any commissions or revenues for the provision of pay telephones in institutions and facilities of the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice for those incarcerated are prohibited. Provides that the Department of Central Management Services shall contract with the qualified vendor who proposes the lowest per minute rate not exceeding 5 cents per minute for debit, prepaid, collect calls and who does not bill to any party any service charge or additional fee exceeding the per minute rate, including, but not limited to, any per call surcharge, account set up fee, bill statement fee, monthly account maintenance charge, or refund fee, as established by the Federal Communications Commission Order for state prisons in the Matter of Rates for Interstate Inmate Calling Services, Second Report and Order, WC Docket 12-375, FCC 15-136 (adopted Oct. 22, 2015). Provides that telephone services made available through a prepaid or collect call system shall include international calls; those calls shall be made available at reasonable rates subject to Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations, but not to exceed 25 cents per minute. Provides that the amendatory Act applies to any new or renewal contract for inmate calling services. Effective January 1, 2017.

House Floor Amendment No. 1
Provides that telephone services made available in the institutions and facilities of the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice through a prepaid or collect call system shall include international calls; those calls shall be made available at reasonable rates subject to Federal Communications Commission rules and regulations, but not to exceed 23 (rather than 25) cents per minute.

Senate Floor Amendment No. 1
Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Reinserts the provisions of the engrossed bill. Restores provision that the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice may receive commissions from inmate collect call telephone systems under an agreement with the Department of Central Management Services. Deletes that any commissions or revenues for the provision of pay telephones in institutions and facilities of the Department of Corrections and the Department of Juvenile Justice for those incarcerated are prohibited. Provides that beginning January 1, 2018, the Department of Central Management Services shall contract with the qualified vendor who proposes the lowest per minute rate not exceeding 7 (rather than 5) cents per minute for debit, prepaid, collect calls and who does not bill to any party any tax, service charge, or additional fee exceeding the per minute rate. Restores language that moneys received by the Department of Corrections as commissions from inmate collect call telephone systems shall be deposited into the Department of Corrections Reimbursement and Education Fund. Effective January 1, 2017

Thank you Mrs. G  :wc38:

Offline Lu

« Reply #632 on: December 21, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »
Thanks for brining up this information but could you please translate the bottom line of all this?   I'm reading that the act passed and will be effective January, 2017 but the contract probably won't be renegotiated until later in the year, effective January, 2018.   Is that correct?   In other words, no relief this coming calendar year?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #633 on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:06 AM »
Thanks for brining up this information but could you please translate the bottom line of all this?   I'm reading that the act passed and will be effective January, 2017 but the contract probably won't be renegotiated until later in the year, effective January, 2018.   Is that correct?   In other words, no relief this coming calendar year?

Yes, that is what I am reading too, have to have some coffee  :wc72:, it's early  and then reread it again.

I think the international calls will take effect on Janurary 1, 2017, but the contract change won't till 2018.

At first they said the rate could not exceed 5 cents per minute, but then they changed that to 7 (rather than 5) when/if they renegotiate a NEW contract with whomever they are going to have phone service through.

Offline Mrs. G

• One Day
  • Even if u fall on ur face, u're still moving 4ward
« Reply #634 on: December 22, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »
Hope this better explains it.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=099-0878

(a-5) Beginning January 1, 2018, the Department of Central
Management Services shall contract with the qualified vendor
who proposes the lowest per minute rate not exceeding 7 cents
per minute for debit, prepaid, collect calls and who does not
bill to any party any tax, service charge, or additional fee
exceeding the per minute rate, including, but not limited to,
any per call surcharge, account set up fee, bill statement fee,
monthly account maintenance charge, or refund fee as
established by the Federal Communications Commission Order for
state prisons in the Matter of Rates for Interstate Inmate
Calling Services, Second Report and Order, WC Docket 12-375,
FCC 15-136 (adopted Oct. 22, 2015). Telephone services made
available through a prepaid or collect call system shall
include international calls; those calls shall be made
available at reasonable rates subject to Federal
Communications Commission rules and regulations, but not to
exceed 23 cents per minute. This amendatory Act of the 99th
General Assembly applies to any new or renewal contract for
inmate calling services.

Offline Gava

« Reply #635 on: January 17, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
I finally heard from my Son this past weekend.  First a letter, then a phone call.  It had been over 70 days (time at RC + 30 days at DuQuoin) since I heard from him, so it was just what the doctor ordered.  The phone call was 7 minutes long and I was charged $0.57.  My summary lists similar calls from October being charged over $5.00, so it looks like Illinois has secured Securus services at the new rate (+tax?). 

Offline jessica36057

« Reply #636 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »
Can anyone help with how phone calls work at Sheridan my L/O is there now and it seems he does not get to use the phone very often at all why other places he was allowed to use it. Now we are lucky if it's 2 or 3 times a week and moat calls are short do they have different policy? To many guys?What's the deal? Or is it him not calling, to try and save money?
 :wc38: :wc50:

Offline jaf

« Reply #637 on: August 20, 2018, 08:44:45 PM »
I’ve been hearing that since the cost has gone way down on phone calls, the phones just can’t keep up.  Supposedly the phone company is adding phones, but who knows?

Offline holdinitdown

« Reply #638 on: August 20, 2018, 10:36:28 PM »
The reason it can't keep up is because there are selfish peoe who get on the phone and make calls back to back and don't give the others a chance to use the phone and the guards are too lazy to do anything about it
Waiting till we can be together again.....💑💘💋

Offline jessica36057

« Reply #639 on: August 21, 2018, 05:24:57 AM »
Does your loved one, get to call a lot or just certain days at Sheridan? How does the phone system work there? My L/O is there now and want to know more about it all.