• October 20, 2018, 06:15:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright Đ 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 260909 times)

Offline Serb735

• Always, Forever & Unconditionally
Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #600 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:11 PM »
Also, Securus only allows 3 transactions in a 24 hour period. I made the silly decision of adding $5 three different times in one day as opposed to adding a larger amount of money at one time, so because of that, I was blocked from adding money for 24 hours from the time of my last transaction. I missed my man calling because of that, but it was own fault. I was able to add money 24 hours later and I  won't ever do that again.

I had that same thing happen to me yesterday. I am still trying to figure out why though, because in the past I have done multiple transactions in a 24 hour period.. but for some reason this time they blocked me, and were unclear as to why. One representative had said it was from multiple transactions, and another said it was because of too many declined transactions.. although there was no reason that any card I was trying to use would be declined. I am going to call their customer service tomorrow..  :wc4:

Offline jaf

« Reply #601 on: January 27, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
The last 2 times I added money, my credit card was denied at first.  I knew it was okay, so I just kept trying.  I think it took 3 times this last time.

They must have a problem.

Offline Serb735

• Always, Forever & Unconditionally
« Reply #602 on: January 27, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
The last 2 times I added money, my credit card was denied at first.  I knew it was okay, so I just kept trying.  I think it took 3 times this last time.

They must have a problem.

I am waiting now to speak with a live agent.. for the 3rd time, to try and get to the bottom of this. If that is the case that they blocked me due to too many declined transactions, I should not be penalized for their system not working properly. I am so frustrated..!

Offline bummed

« Reply #603 on: February 12, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »
 :wc20: :wc4:  Aargh securus sucks :wc5:   Having constant phone problems with them, either it wont let me accept calls or I cant hear my bf or he cant hear me!!!!!! "no third party calls are allowed" is either in the beginning of phone call or it interrrupts in middle and then no one can hear the other one :wc17:  Thelast time a couple of days ago he tried and talk to me 8 times and then finally got thru. I  thought it was my phone line. but I guess it is an ongoing problem with a lot of inmates and family. I got reimbursed for the droppped calls but only after 45 min waiting for real rep to talk to  :wc4:  I told him that their company is a rip off and sadly so only contracted fone company for all inmates and families.  Hope the next couple of days its better especially because they have phone sign up times there and pretty much that means only 30 min fone call per day. Sure sucks trying to call me 8 times and not get through or have call being dropped in middle.  Wish securus could fix that stuff since its not random but happens all thetime  :wc4:

Offline violingirl

« Reply #604 on: May 30, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
For the first time some of what you ladies described just happened to me. My story is that he called about 4 times in a row from the yard and it wouldn't let me press one and hung up. Then he called, the call was connected and I was saying hey to him but he couldn't hear me, but I could hear him talking in the background then after a minute of this going on the call ended. So, I called Securus and they said there was no block placed by Menard Correctional Center and that they see record that I kept trying to press 1. She said with me being on a cell phone with a touch screen phone maybe I needed to wipe down my screen because it's not recognizing me press the number 1.  They didn't charge me for those calls but of course they charged me for the one that connected. But, she said if the same thing happens again and again for the next 24 hours then I can do a dispute and get my money back, which is unrealistic because doubt they'll be passing phones tonight. Our connection Tuesday from the yard was perfect. Don't understand what's going on today and neither does Securus.  :wc17:

Offline wifey

« Reply #605 on: June 05, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
Does anyone know how to get a live agent for Securus??? This is $&@'ing crazy! What a piece of crap company   Complain all you want about consolidated-it was way better than this bull!

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #606 on: June 05, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »
You have to call, and push the request to speak with someone. If I remember correctly, it can take some time. I've also went online and did a live chat with an agent, and can say that seemed to be a little quicker.

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #607 on: June 05, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »
I know it can be frustrating, but to say they are less of a company that consolidated... I won't say that. The cost is still much cheaper with Securus, and when you do speak with an agent, through the phone, or internet, they are always very friendly and do all they can to get to the bottom of your problem. Just my opinion..

Offline humbird37

« Reply #608 on: June 05, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
Zachsmom...that is my opinion too! Very pleased with Securus.
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline violingirl

« Reply #609 on: June 06, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
wifey- sorry you are having problems with Securus. I just did the live agent chat online it was quick and easy. Also over the phone last week they were fast at assisting me and diligent. I usually have no problems but as I stated above I had the one issue and today he called similar issues as before. Not sure what your exact problem is but I found out my cell phone signal is weak in my office at work, so anytime he calls while in certain rooms in this building his calls won't go through. This just happened again today, so my remedy to that is to put my phone in a certain room during his yard time.  It says on the Securus website (under FAQs) be mindful of weak signals. I never even thought of that! Good luck to you!

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #610 on: June 06, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »
I have a touch screen phone and early on, I had issues with pressing 1 to accept the call. It didn't work, I learned it was a problem with my phone and a reboot fixed it. So now, I reboot my phone at least once a day to keep it from happening again.
He's home!

Offline violingirl

« Reply #611 on: June 10, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
tkesde1- Funny you mentioned the press 1 situation I have had problems with this as well. Last night he called about 9 times before it finally recognized me pressing 1. This happened twice this morning and a few weeks ago. So those of you have having the touchscreen problem they will not open a ticket for this unless he has tried to call 3 times in 24 hours and no successful calls have went through.

Offline Henrietta

« Reply #612 on: August 13, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this forum. I need help! I live in Sweden and have a loved one in Centralia prison and we want to be able to have phone calls. As I understand it is allowed for Illinois inmate to have international phone calls but when I spoke to Securus today they didnīt have that option for Centralia, they recommended Vonage, Verizon or Magic Jack but you canīt receive collect calls from either one of them. What do I do??? Does anyone know if Centralia only are allowed collect calls or if they have accounts? The mail is so slow right now, his letters usually reach me within 4-6 Days but now it takes 3 weeks so Iīm a bit impatient  :wc96: Somebody please help!  :wc17:

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #613 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
I can't give you a definite, other than to say that there is a way for you to speak with your loved one.  We have a couple of members who are overseas, and receive collect calls.  If I'm understanding correctly, Skype is the way to go with that.  Webmari has tried them all, and would be the right one to answer this question.  Sorry you're having such a hard time with the situation  :wc30:

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »
I might be wrong, but the Vonage or Magic Jack option might work because they are prepaid collect calls. I use StraightTalk, which is similar in that as a prepaid phone I couldn't accept a traditional collect call, but because they are prepaid collect (you put the money on the account in advance of the call) it works.

It's worth a shot and easy to find out. There is a Magic Jack app for smartphones that is free, so it would cost you anything to try it out! 

Good Luck!

T.K.
He's home!

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #615 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:01 AM »
You can get Vonage or any of those with an IL (or US phone number) and the collect calls would still go through Securus.

There was one of our other international members who did something like this and it worked for her.  I will look for her post but in the mean time let's hope she comes along and gives some insight.

:wc12: to IPT!!

Try looking through this link:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=28586.msg238286#msg238286

Offline Henrietta

« Reply #616 on: August 13, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
Thank you soooo much for your answers and the welcome! I didnīt Think about asking them about prepaid collect calls, guess thatīs why they said no. What do I do first, do I get a US phone number and wait to get on his approval list Before I set up an account with Securus or the other way around? Do I just right my new phone number in a letter to him or do I have to get a form to fill in? I asked Securus about a Skype number but they said they donīt allow Skype so I guess itīs better to use MagicJack. Thank you all!  :wc6:

Offline webmari

« Reply #617 on: August 14, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
Hello Henrietta, I use Skype and it also works. I have an Illinois phone number which I purchase from them and this way I can have calls for local fees. I recall international calls are supposed to be allowed. But then, nobody at Securus seems to care about that. But as many are doing even in the U.S.A. they get a cell phone with the local number of their LO's facility if they live far away this also works fine for us. But you could also try Vonage. I had problems with that as I also need to get my local calls and it practically would take 2 lines then for me to set up Vonage on one of them. But I have rented part of my house and the person who lives here got one of my lines, thus it won't work for me. But might work fine for you. You need Vonage USA though and it may be a bit complicated to get the box shipped to you via a US address. I had my share of problems with that and am glad that now Skype is working for me. Hope this helps. There is also a mail system that allows you to send mail by email. But works only on your part. His letters would still be by snail mail then. Any more questions just PM me.Oh, and I live in Germany :-)

Offline Henrietta

« Reply #618 on: August 19, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »
Hi!

Iīve now have a magicJack number and a US address. My question now is, should I write both my phone number and my US address to my loved one? I did a google search and found an old site that said they should do that. If so, I have to give him the address too, he canīt write my home address which is overseas can he?  :wc13:

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #619 on: August 20, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
He will definitely need your new phone number so that you can talk to each other. He will add it to his phone list, and you'll need to set up an account with securus.

They can definitely write overseas, it just costs more to mail letters because of the postage.