• October 21, 2018, 11:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 261215 times)

Offline chadsangel4

Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #440 on: March 19, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
The first call came through today from Menard.  I looked at my account (since I wasn't the one who spoke with him) and the cost was $5.36 for a 30 minute call

So glad you were finally able to talk to him! :) Check this out, my Boo called me last night. Like right after my post in the LD thread. Anyway, I only had $10 on my account. We talked for 30 minutes. Securus called me today to inform me that my account was below $10 and I should add money. I didn't. Then, on my way home from work this afternoon,  he called me. We talked for maybe 15 minutes and then the call was dropped. I figured that was going to be that because I was under the impression that the call would be the same price no matter how long you talk and that would've meant my account was empty. Well, he called back and we were able to talk for 30 minutes. I have NO idea how.

And then during our last call, we hear "No third party calls allowed". I thought for sure the call would disconnect, but it didn't. We were like, huh? I wasn't attempting to make a 3-way call. My phone doesn't even have that option. So maybe background noise was the cause.

I'm just so happy to finally get a call. 7 weeks was entirely too long w/o any calls.

We got that message once too!  We were both a bit baffled!  I wouldn't know how to do a third party call if I wanted too!
\\\"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice.\\\"
-Desmond Tutu

Offline MrsW

« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
We hear that message at the beginning of every call.. sometimes twice!!

Offline BobNBecka

« Reply #442 on: March 20, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
From Jacksonville it was $4.50 per call. :)

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #443 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
Is IDOC/Securus allowing International calls now?
I'm in the UK and I'm legally getting calls from Securus. This is how it works:

They support VoIP through Vonage, the telephone company. If you look, it is even on their website:
https://securus.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/256/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MzEwODI1MS9zaWQvT2pQRHkta2w=

The only catch is that you will need someone to get the device delivered to them in the US and you need a US Credit or Debit card (A pre-paid card will work) so that you can pay the initial cost of the set-up and ongoing monthly fees covering line rental etc. You will also need a high-speed internet. Check your internet speed here:
https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1060/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MzEwODg5OS9zaWQvZ25VOUIta2w%3D

So here is what you do:
Contact Vonage US and tell them you'd like to sign up for service with them. Their "World Plan" is probably best as then you can possibly make calls to your own country.
To contact Vonage click on the link:
https://support.vonage.com/app/contact/detail/?select=sales_new

Then give Vonage the US address and card details to set this up. Once payment has gone through you will get your new telephone number. Be sure to let Vonage know you want an Illinois telephone number. They will deliver your Vonage device to the US address and your friend can then send it to you.

When you get the device just plug it in to your computer and plug your regular phone into the back of the device. (You may need an adaptor but these are relatively cheap to buy on eBay) Once everything is set-up you're ready to make and receive calls.

Make sure to give the number to your L/O at the earliest opportunity so they can get it approved. You must also tell Securus that your number is a Vonage number because it needs to go on a list that they have.

When you set up the account with Securus make sure you use the same address as what is on the Vonage account. (Where your device was mailed to) This way if they need verification that you own the line, you can give them it without any problems.

I know it sounds like a lot to go through but it will take minutes to set up and is accepted by Securus so you are not breaking any rules. It MUST be a US Vonage account you set up, not a UK one as the number has to be a dedicated US number not a virtual number.

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #444 on: March 20, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
I want to add that Securus ARE aware that I am in the UK, they do not have a problem with that. They just don't allow call forwarding, hence the US Vonage system.
Also its Vonage that insist you have a US address and Credit/Debit card to pay for your line. My L/O's family were very helpful when it came to us setting this up and I send them money that they put on a Pre-Paid debit card. I use this card to pay for my Vonage account and to top up with Securus.

Offline msmac417

« Reply #445 on: March 21, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »
My son has not called me in a while and I was told that on 3/25/13 Securus would be handling the calls coming from Robinson Correctional Center. How will my money that is on Consolidated be transferred to Securus. Will I get a refund or not.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #446 on: March 21, 2013, 07:07:11 AM »
My son has not called me in a while and I was told that on 3/25/13 Securus would be handling the calls coming from Robinson Correctional Center. How will my money that is on Consolidated be transferred to Securus. Will I get a refund or not.

You have to go to Securus and set up an account, put more money on it, go to this link for their information:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29629.0

Once your LO has called on the new service, you can then go ahead and call Consolidated for a refund check.  The money will not transfer from Consolidated to Securus.

There are many posts in this topic that talk about opening a new account if you scroll back through the pages.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline MrsW

« Reply #447 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:59 AM »
Consolidated acted rather quickly, I called them last week to request a refund and on Tuesday I received a check for what we still had on that account.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #448 on: March 21, 2013, 08:30:22 AM »
Thank you Dark Cloud for your explanation on the International calling.  Hopefully your posts will help others who are trying to set up the service for international service!!   :wc18:

MrsW, glad that Consolidated is issuing prompt refunds, I thought, being they lost their HUGE contract, that they would stall and make people wait.  I also am glad, that inmate families are finally getting the break they need and some families may actually be able to talk to their inmates on a regular basis now with these lower rates.   101010
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline brooke89

« Reply #449 on: March 21, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »
I tried to set up an account on Securus but it would not let me, kept saying it could not find my l/o facility.

Offline webmari

« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »
Thank you, Dark Cloud for this information. It is a bit complicated but may well be worth it. I sent you a PM and would really appreciate if you could reply. However, what about real international calls? Would they also be allowed with this new bill? This far Securus told me they won't allow international calls. Hmmm....

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #451 on: March 21, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »
Thank you, Dark Cloud for this information. It is a bit complicated but may well be worth it. I sent you a PM and would really appreciate if you could reply. However, what about real international calls? Would they also be allowed with this new bill? This far Securus told me they won't allow international calls. Hmmm....

Supposedly, the new bill that passed was to allow International calls providing they were billable. 

Check out the wording of the bill here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=28586.0

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #452 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »
I've replied to your PM. I was also told by Securus that they do not support International calls at this time. It was actually a lady at Securus that suggested I get a US number with no remote forwarding. There are other VoIP systems available besides Vonage but I don't know if Securus support these, so if you want to use another system its best to ask first.

Offline kanda

« Reply #453 on: March 21, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »
Is Pittsfeild work camp usin securs now?

Offline webmari

« Reply #454 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »

Thank you Mah, and I don' t know about the"billable" part whether they would deduct the money from my German phone company then or whatever that means.

And thank you Dark Cloud for your explanation  :-)

« Reply #451 on: Today at 01:03:47 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: webmari on Today at 12:27:16 PM

Supposedly, the new bill that passed was to allow International calls providing they were billable. 

Check out the wording of the bill here:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=28586.0

Offline trosmom

« Reply #455 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:03 PM »
I just received a "free courtesy call" from my son to tell me they changed services, but when I went to check (I got 4.95 as well) his facility isn't listed. Does anyone else know about Hill Correctional?  Thank you, Cheryl

Offline hisbaby

« Reply #456 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
Kanda,

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/communityresources/Pages/InmatePhoneServices.aspx

This is the list of switches, I am not sure what Pittsfield is listed under but it says you can also call the facility for the date. 

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #457 on: March 22, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I just received a "free courtesy call" from my son to tell me they changed services, but when I went to check (I got 4.95 as well) his facility isn't listed. Does anyone else know about Hill Correctional?  Thank you, Cheryl

Hill was suppose to be switched over on the 20th. 

10 more days and they are all suppose to be switched.  By April 1st, everyone is to be on the new service.  Let's hope it all works that way.

Offline mikaelarose

« Reply #458 on: March 22, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
yes Pittsfield has made the change

Offline lurios2

« Reply #459 on: March 25, 2013, 12:25:31 AM »
Hill changed already. My baby called me on friday and again tonight.
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~