• December 12, 2018, 11:07:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 267844 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
This is what is says on IDOC website:

Beginning January 3, 2013, IDOC will begin transferring inmate phone service from Consolidated Public Services to Securus Technologies.  This conversion will begin with Big Muddy Correctional Center.  Please check back to this site as the dates for the conversions at all other facilities will be announced when the dates are confirmed.

On the new system, the following number will display for Caller ID: 1-866-718-4777

Securus Correctional Billing Services (CBS) at: 1-800-844-6591

For more information visit www.securustech.net

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/communityresources/Pages/InmatePhoneServices.aspx
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline humbird37

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »
Yes he is at BMR! Now we are scrambling around getting his daughter, and brother set up! :) Just hope he calls back tonight.
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
FYI- Shawnee is still with CPS as of 9 am this morning
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline brezzie

• Heavy Love Load
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:34 AM »
Hello Forevermah,
I knew you would get the full details. I didn't think to go on IDOC website to see what they have on there.
Thank you so very much.

Brezzie, :wc30:

Offline waitingagain

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2013, 07:51:58 AM »
I was just on the Securus web page and it looks like they are having a funding promotion until the 1-31-13 where you are able to fund an account without the 25.00 minimum payment.  My L/O is at EMCC and they have heard nothing about the change, but they have installed new phones.

waitingagain

Offline lori491999

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »
I was just on the Securus web page and it looks like they are having a funding promotion until the 1-31-13 where you are able to fund an account without the 25.00 minimum payment.  My L/O is at EMCC and they have heard nothing about the change, but they have installed new phones.

waitingagain

My L/O is also at EMCC and they haven't gotten new phones in his wing yet, so maybe it's coming soon!

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:20 AM »
Whew! That's a relief!  :wc38: for the info Mah! Now I have over 2 months to mentally prepare myself for this change.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »
I had written to consolidated about a refund for the money on my account with them. I received an email back stating they will send a refund, and to allow 45 days.  In case anyone is wondering how that will work.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
Has anyone here with a L/O at Big Muddy started recieving calls through them yet? (since yesterday)? 
If so, please share how it went and so on.

Thanks.

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »
I had made a post in another topic ( http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=27857.20  ) only regarding the equipment.  The Securus phones were installed the beginning of December in my LOs wing while still at BMR but the actual phone call at the time was still coming through Consolidated.  My LO is tall and his complaint was that the phone cord was very short and it wouldn't quite reach his ear.  It made it a bit difficult to talk comfortably.  

Offline humbird37

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 12:35:19 PM »
My son called yesterday....it went very well, in spite of the short cords :) It was a very clear call. No problems

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
humbird - how much was your call and did they last the normal 30 minutes. 

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
I just went to the securus site and rated a call.  If it's correct (it lists Menard as a county jail in Illinois), my calls are going to increase from $10.30 to $12.50 for a 30 minute call.  And based on what I read, and what the automated system said, you have to set up an account to get calls.  Even direct billed calls have to be set up, and they don't put the calls on your phone bill, they send you a bill.  You have to pass a credit check to get a direct billed account, but, there is no fee.  And the calls cost the same whether they're prepaid or direct billed. 

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 01:03:13 PM »
Chanty - under the drop down box you have to choose from IL IDOC choices.  Menard isn't on there yet. 

Offline humbird37

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
I'm sorry I didn't time the call exactly, but it was about 20 minutes, so it cost me....$5.i5. I went to securus and checked my balance.....I like that we can do that.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
that is awesome.   Just for comparison sake for myself and others who are curious about all of this - how much would that call have cost you normally with Consolidated (estimate)? 

Do you find it to be cheaper or more expensive?

Offline humbird37

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
I believe it is cheaper.....the only thing I have found to cost more is when you add money to the account....depending on how far away you live. For me it was 6.95 to add money. I will just add more money at a time, when I can.

Offline MissAndrea

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »
Florida facilities use Securus and while chatting with another prison wife, she said that she isn't charged a $6.95 fee to add money and she said that you can mail payments to the company. Her calls are $2.08 for a 15 minute call and there is a $1 connection fee.

Very interesting how each state is different even while using the same company.

~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2013, 06:06:15 AM »
The thing is....it cost my son $9.95 to put money on the phone, it cost my granddaughter $ 7.95. They both live just about 30 miles further from Il. The telephone calls themselves seem to be cheaper...another call from my son yesterday, we talked less  the day before, and the charge was the same, $5.15. I can't seem to find out the time allowed for calls. :wc14:

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »
Chanty - under the drop down box you have to choose from IL IDOC choices.  Menard isn't on there yet.  

I didn't see the IL IDOC choices when I looked.  I just chose Menard Couny Jail, because I'd never heard of a Menard County in Illinois, so I assumed.  Oops!  Anyway, I just did a check for a Stateville Call to Indiana, and the price on that is $4.10 for 30 minutes.  My l/o father said the calls from Stateville (with consolidated) were $10.30 from Stateville, so that's a pretty big drop.  Basically, I'm glad I screwed up when I looked at Menard County Jail   :wc15:

update:  ALL facilities listed cost $4.10 coming to my house.  Yay!!  :wc64: