• October 21, 2018, 11:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 261209 times)

Offline chase

Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »
Received a call from my L/O in Taylorville tonight.  When I answered the recording told me to press #1 to accept the call, I did and the recording continued and then disconnected.  He tried back and I did the same and the recording continued and I thought we would be disconnected but it went through and the call was fine.  There was a fire drill so we could not talk the full time. 
Waiting on the East Coast

Offline GoodGirl

« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »
Dixon was successfully changed over to Securus today (2/28/13).  I was charged $5.11 per 30min call and I am out of state, so taxes might be different from in state.  Can't beat the new prices and the sound quality is so much better with the new service.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
 :wc96:
             Can someone please help me with this? I tried to set up an account up here in Canada. I cannot get a real person on the phone. I tried using the automated service but they ask you for your 5 digit zip code...In Canada we have a 6 digit postal code with numbers and letters so it does not work. Is there another # I can call? I tried live chat but you have to have an acct for that to work. I emailed a question and they sent me no helpful answer at all and asked me a couple of questions with no way to reply via the email /sigh.
               This is so frustrating ! Graham switches over March 7th. The phones were put in already though they sure don't sound new. I have trouble hearing my fiance. I am usually a pretty patient person but when I have to worry if I'll be able to even talk to my fiance after March 7th I kinda get stressed eh :wc17:

Thanks for letting me vent :wc71:

Offline babyonway1225

« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »
So tonight my lo called me and the same thing happened to me as chase. When I pressed one we were disconnected. And the he called back and it was fine. However my lo is at sheridan and it disconnected us at 20minutes and didn't give us a warning. I was furious lol I used every swear word in the dictionary. Has any other sheridan families experienced this since the switch??

Offline chase

« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2013, 05:14:57 AM »
I checked my account this morning and for a 22 min. call the charge was $5.36 however when I rate my call this is what I come up with.

Regular Rates
Time

(08:00-16:59)   DAY    $4.10
(17:00-23:00)   EVE$   $4.10
(23:01-07:59)     NIGHT $4.10

Notes
Rate periods are based upon the time of the day a call is accepted.
Facilities may have a connection charge per call, an initial rate for the first minute of call, then a different rate for each minute after the first minute of call.
Rates subject to change. This rate quote is valid at 3/1/2013 5:08:16 AM
In addition to the quoted rate of the call, applicable taxes and fees may apply. Please refer to the account Terms, Conditions & Fees under Payment Product Options for additional information.

Notice the "Notes" section and the unknown charges.... urghh.
Waiting on the East Coast

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »
             Can someone please help me with this? I tried to set up an account up here in Canada. I cannot get a real person on the phone. I tried using the automated service but they ask you for your 5 digit zip code...In Canada we have a 6 digit postal code with numbers and letters so it does not work. Is there another # I can call? I tried live chat but you have to have an acct for that to work. I emailed a question and they sent me no helpful answer at all and asked me a couple of questions with no way to reply via the email /sigh.
               This is so frustrating ! Graham switches over March 7th. The phones were put in already though they sure don't sound new. I have trouble hearing my fiance. I am usually a pretty patient person but when I have to worry if I'll be able to even talk to my fiance after March 7th I kinda get stressed eh :wc17:

Everyone is saying to open the account on line first, then they you can call them.   Also, there is a browser issue, only use IE or Firefox and Chrome has been reported as working.

Good Luck, let us know if that works for you.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline DRM87

« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
Does anyone know if this new phone company is going to do direct bill? We have always done it this way, ecept when he was in the county jail.

Offline MrsW

« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »
I have no direct knowledge, but from what I heard.. prepaid calls will be less that 5.00 for 30 minutes.. if the call is accepted as a collect call people have been charged as much as 15.00 for the same 30 minutes.

Offline MrsW

« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »
Let me modify what I just stated.. each call will be 4.10 plus your state and local tax, in most cases each 30 minutes should be a max of 5.00 or so.. but in saying that let me say each call is 4.10 + taxes.. doesn't matter if you speak for 1 minute or the 30 minutes. So if you know you can't talk for the 30 minutes because you were on the way out the door for an appointment, have the conversation with your l/o that if you don't accept a call it's only because you have a doc, dentist, have to pick up the kids in 10 mins and knew you couldn't talk the full 30 minutes.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »
if the call is accepted as a collect call people have been charged as much as 15.00 for the same 30 minutes.

Where did you hear/see this?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline MrsW

« Reply #290 on: March 01, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »
From a rep I spoke to at Securus..

Offline stan77

« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
Does anyone know if this new phone company is going to do direct bill? We have always done it this way, ecept when he was in the county jail.

Yes, one of their billing options is Direct Bill.  Go to the Securus Website, along that top bar, choose "Friends and Family", then "Phone Services" and then "Payment Product Options".  It will take you to this site: http://www.securustech.net/paymentoptions.asp
There are 4 available options & they are all outlined.  The Direct Bill option requires they do a credit check on you.  You can see which of the options works best for you.  Good luck! :)

Offline Sizz

« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »

Everyone is saying to open the account on line first, then they you can call them.   Also, there is a browser issue, only use IE or Firefox and Chrome has been reported as working.

Thank you so much Mah! I set an account online and then I was able to live chat with someone and get the western union info! They have rated me the same as everyone else which can't be right but it's definitely got to be way cheaper than consolidated :stp2:
                                                  Thank you! :wc71-1:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »

Thank you so much Mah! I set an account online and then I was able to live chat with someone and get the western union info! They have rated me the same as everyone else which can't be right but it's definitely got to be way cheaper than consolidated :stp2:
                                                  Thank you! :wc71-1:

I am glad you got it set up and if your calls are going to be the same price as in the US, that is wonderful.  I am so happy that these new lower rates may actually help keep families in contact with their LO's more.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #294 on: March 04, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
I just received a letter from C (at Menard).  In this letter, he included the bulletin about Securus.  It states the following...

"On March 7, 2013, the inmate phone vendor will change from Consolidated to Securus.  The inmates' current PIN will transfer, as well as their current allowed phone number lists.  The cost of the call is $4.10 up to 30 minutes; there are no additional fees.  Inmates' family and or friends will need to contact Securus to set up a new account.  Information to contact Securus is on the DOC website and on brochures provided by Securus.

At this time, inmates should have their family and or friends contact Securus to set up an account.  The inmate will be able to send money to this account in the same way they sent money to Consolidated, but the account must be opened first.  Consolidated will refund any balances remaining to the friend or family member who ons the account in approximately 30 days.

On the day of cut over, phones will be down for about 2 hours, during which time no calls will be made.  The timing of the cut will be coordinated with the facility telecom coorinator."

After receiving the letter today, I called Securus and talked to Deeanna.  They do not allow traditional collect calls to states other than Texas.  If you do a direct bill account, you have to go through a credit check, and even if your credit is perfect, the highest amount they approve is $30/month.  I opted for the Advance Collect Prepaid Account.  There is no minimum amount (for the forseeable future).  If they do decide to put a minimum back on, there will be a minimum amount of $25 that you add at one time.  There is/and will never be a maximum amount.  You can put as much on the account as you'd like.  

Right now, they are waiving all fees. In the future, they may charge $7.95 to add money onto your account via online or with a credit/debit card.  There are no fees at all/and won't ever be, to add money to your account via a mailed check or money order.  There is a fee of $2.95/month for state to state calls (if you live in a state other than Illinois).  

The grand total for my calls from Menard to Indiana will be $5.30 for 30 minutes.  That cost includes all fees that are charged by the state of IN.  The cost is the same whether you talk for 1 minute or 30.  

If you don't have an account set up BEFORE the switchover happens, you won't even know your l/o is trying to call.  I put $10 on my account this morning, just to be sure he's able to call when the switch happens.

Oh yeah.. I called 1-800-844-6591 (the number that is printed at the bottom of the bulletin) and got a person as soon as I pushed 1 to set up an account.

Offline brooke89

« Reply #295 on: March 04, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
I talked to my huni yesterday, who is at Clayton County Work Camp (Western IDOC) They have not been notified of the change from Consolidated to Securus...I told him I looked it up on IDOC & he was shocked bc NOONE at the work camp knew of any kind of change, he is gonna spread it around for the guys to tell their loved ones to look it up & get their new accounts set up before the change, anyone else have their l/o tell you they were not notified of the change!? I am concerned about this, what would happen if I just assumed they all knew, some poor familes could not be getting their phone calls, that I know are incredibly precious & special to me!!!

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #296 on: March 04, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
What I don't understand is... Menard is STILL not listed on the IDOC website as having a date of transition.

Offline jaf

« Reply #297 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »
Ha!  Not everyone at Menard knows about it either.  I asked my son at our visit the other day, and he didn't have any of that information.

I feel sorry for poor ol' Securus when it comes to Menard - they'd go broke if they had to depend on calls out of that place! 
Sure hope they get to call soon.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #298 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
            Well, I did set up my account and actually talked to a real person who then proceeded to tell me that "international" calls are not accepted. So I have money on my account waiting for the switchover on Wednesday and now may not be able to get calls at all!!
             Consolidated was expensive but it was there at least. Is there anyone out there out of the country that has set up an account with Securus?
                  Now I am once again stressed out over this whole phone situation. Hopefully it was just because the system is not set up yet.
                                                     :wc17:
         Keeping my fingers crossed and praying very hard that I don't lose my phone calls!

Offline OnOurOwn16

« Reply #299 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »
I also spoke to a rep at Securus who told me I'd have to pay a service fee of $7.95 to place money on my phone/acct. She also told me prices range based on the various counties that an inmate is housed...I chose to wait since my l/o is being transferred to another facility and then eventually back to county jail. Then She told me for cook county jail it will be $1 to connect then .20cents a minute...ahhhh! I am SO confused by all this! Most annoying is due to the fact I work on a MAC, I can't open the securus online payment forum...so I will be paying by phone & I suppose incurring these fees?! *sigh*