• December 12, 2018, 11:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 267839 times)

Offline pmilver

Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
Here is my experience with Securus.  I opened an account on the phone 3 weeks ago so I could talk to my son at CCJ.  Later, I went on line and set it up my so I could access my account on the computer.  I am doing a pre-pay account.  You can add $ onto the account on line with a credit card or a debit card but if you do, there is a $6.95 fee.  He suggested that I use a credit card because you cannot dispute the fee with a debit card.  I think he said you could add $ by calling too but there is still the $6.95 fee.  If you send them a money order or a check to add to a pre-paid account, there is no charge to add the $ but it may take 10 days or so from when they receive it.  I talked to "Gary" at Securus and he was very nice.  When I did go online to put some more $ in, when the confirmation page popped up, I couldn't read the top and bottom of the page so I couldn't close the window.  I could do nothing but close the entire window open with Securus so I have no idea if the $ went in or not.  I will check in a couple of days to see if it did.  This was somethingn wrong with their site.  I do have a Mac not a PC.  Just like everything one has to do connected to IDOC, it is a pain in the butt. All this info is for a pre-paid account.

Offline nikkibaby26

« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
Sorry, but reading this topic makes me thankful that I don't have to deal with either Securus or Consolidated any more.  It's nice having a $40 regular phone bill as opposed to $100+ per month! 

Can't wait for this day!!!

I agree! my l/o has a whole year left unless he gets good time *fingers crossed*
“When I saw you, I was afraid to meet you... When I met you, I was afraid to kiss you... When I kissed you, I was afraid to love you... Now that I love you, I'm afraid to lose you.”

Offline brooke89

« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
I DO NOT understand how to navigate around securus website & find out how much things are going to be or anything, I am sooo lost!!!! Please someone help! Also I seen this new "Video visitation", does anyone know what facilities are gonna have this & when!? I would love that!!!

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2013, 04:59:42 PM »
I DO NOT understand how to navigate around securus website & find out how much things are going to be or anything, I am sooo lost!!!! Please someone help! Also I seen this new "Video visitation", does anyone know what facilities are gonna have this & when!? I would love that!!!
Go to the main site at: http://www.securustech.net/default.asp
At the top of the page is a bar that says FRIENDS & FAMILY. Hover your mouse over that and a drop-down menu will appear, one of the options is PHONE SERVICES. Hover on that and then another menu will appear with most of the options you will need to open and maintain an account online.
As for video visitation, I've not heard anything about the IDOC giving us that but we can hope right?

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
I was also told there would be a $3.49 monthly Federal some kind of charge and a $3.49 billing statement charge in addition to all the taxes we pay for telecommunications.
On the TRADITIONAL COLLECT ACCOUNT Terms & Conditions it states:

A monthly bill statement fee of up to $3.49 may apply and will appear on your local phone bill. No fee will be assessed in any month in which no collect calls were accepted.

If you receive and accept state-to-state or international calls, you may also be charged a Federal Regulatory Recovery Fee of $3.49.

Is this what you mean?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
It seems we are getting so many different posts here on how things will work with Securus.

The phone calls from what we have seen from those already hooked up are 30 minutes for $4.10 plus tax not 15 minutes.

Everyone should wait until their prison is connected and they can see the total of minutes and charges for that prison before posting what they think will happen.  Set up your new accounts and then wait until your prison is connected.

They have till March 31, 2013 to get all prison connected.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline MrsW

« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
I just deposited 100.00 on the new phone service, there was no fee! That may just be a promotional thing, when I spoke to one of their reps he couldn't tell me when Stateville will be using the new service, but that it is one of the facilities that will be switched over. I just wonder how long it will take Consolidated to send us back our money, personally I have 146.00 on that account. If they keep it at 4.10, that's a huge savings.. basically talking for an hour at close to the same price Consolidated charged for a day time call.  :wc6:

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
Has anyone received a call from Danville yet? Their switch-over date is today and usually my L/O is first to those phones, but I'm yet to receive a call.
To anyone who has a loved one in BMR, did the switch-over go smoothly on the day or did you have to wait to receive a call?

I hate this...  :wc96:

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
I registered and it says it my facility is Big Muddy?  But  my husband is in Dixon??? Did this happen to anyone else?

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
I registered and it says it my facility is Big Muddy?  But  my husband is in Dixon??? Did this happen to anyone else?

Yes, that is happening to other members as well.  If you look through the thread most people are saying it stayed like that until they got their first phone call. 

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »
Ok thanks...too many pages to read on this thread I am at work.  As long as I know it will work :)  thanks again!

Offline mikaelarose

« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
just wondering for the people who have already had the switch over-are the dates pretty accurate to when they say the switch over will take place?

Offline babyonway1225

« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
I wonder why the facilities are big muddy. When I registered and I just rechecked my account it tells me that my facility is Sheridan which is correct, and hasn't made the switching yet..

Offline chippyn

« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2013, 07:03:34 PM »
ok im lost lol. ummmm WHEN did securus take over??? about 2 weeks ago i got a call from my LO at menard and it was through consolidated communications. but i DO see menard on the securus list though.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:16 PM »
ok im lost lol. ummmm WHEN did securus take over??? about 2 weeks ago i got a call from my LO at menard and it was through consolidated communications. but i DO see menard on the securus list though.

Securus signed a new contract months ago, but the switch is not complete for all prisons yet, only some are connected.

They are to be totally switched at all prisons by March 31, 2013.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
Danville is up & runnning. A 30 minute call from there costs $4.68 total. At the beginning of the call you can press #7 to hear your balance and the charges.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
Danville is up & runnning. A 30 minute call from there costs $4.68 total. At the beginning of the call you can press #7 to hear your balance and the charges.

I'm lovin these prices so far!  That's a difference of $5.62!!

Offline MissAndrea

« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
I would be saving around $1.50. But that's better than nothing.
~damnant quod non intellegunt~ They condemn what they do not understand.

Offline chadsangel4

« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2013, 06:50:19 AM »
Has anybody from out of state experienced the switch yet?  If so, is it still the $4 and change or is it more if you are out of state?  Just curious!  Thanks
\\\"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice.\\\"
-Desmond Tutu

Offline cem31

« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2013, 08:11:38 AM »

That's great news, that means according to the list on IDOC website they are right on schedule!! My L/O said he saw a memo that said Logan will switch on 2/21, not 2/26 as the site says, guess I'll just wait for my first call. Either way I'm ready & anxious, we can talk twice as much for the same amount now =).