• October 21, 2018, 11:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 261198 times)

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
Sorry, but reading this topic makes me thankful that I don't have to deal with either Securus or Consolidated any more.  It's nice having a $40 regular phone bill as opposed to $100+ per month! 

Offline humbird37

« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
That must be wonderful!  It sure can get to be a hardship, but can't have it any other way.....to hear from my son means so much. I'm glad for you...this journey is over.
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline lori491999

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
Sorry, but reading this topic makes me thankful that I don't have to deal with either Securus or Consolidated any more.  It's nice having a $40 regular phone bill as opposed to $100+ per month! 

Can't wait for this day!!!

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
That must be wonderful!  It sure can get to be a hardship, but can't have it any other way.....to hear from my son means so much. I'm glad for you...this journey is over.

I wish it was totally over humbird.  Being on parole with the ankle bracelet and very limited movement is very frustrating.

Offline cem31

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »
I have actually seen alot of confusion with the way things are worded in this post, some are saying that the $7.95 is charged when "SETTING UP" their account when in actuality if the fee is charged its not done when setting up, it would be charged when adding funds online or by phone. As far as them not being able to charge the $7.95 reload fee I'm sure they are entitled to charge some type of fee, maybe not that much but some kind of fee. The reason is bcuz merchants have to pay a fee to credit card companies in order to be able to accept credit cards (I worked retail for many yrs), charging a fee is their way of off setting costs. I set up my Securus account without having to pay a fee, I have yet to add funds to it, when I do I will let you kno if I was charged a fee =)

Offline babyonway1225

« Reply #165 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:09 AM »
For those who have set up an account and started using it, is there a limit as to how much you can add at a time?

Offline boop

« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
I just set up my account. Not sure about a limit, I added $20.00. When you set up the account it shows account is blocked and Big Muddy as the facility. After I called the company,  the man told me when I added funds it would unblock. After I added funds the account showed clear and the correct facility. Confusing way to go about it. Just wanted to give a heads up so you know what happens when you set the account up.

Offline belliott76

« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2013, 10:52:03 AM »
I just talk to lady there and she said I wouldnt be charged the 7.95 fee but when I just went to add it it said there would be a fee.I'm so confused I think ill just mail my payment in that way I know I won't be charged the fee.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
How pretty this site looks today! Makes me feel good. Happy Valentines day...to all.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
From what I have read...there will be a $25.00 limit for putting funds on the account, but right now there is no set amount They are saying "It is a special right now" 

Offline Dreamsicle

« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2013, 06:27:10 AM »
Yes, I did set up an  Advance connect prepaid account! They know that, but said it was up to the facility, Big Muddy being one of them.....
Yes, I did set up an  Advance connect prepaid account! They know that, but said it was up to the facility, Big Muddy being one of them.....
All facilities in the state of Illinois are under one contract.  Rules should not change per site as far as phone calls. No transaction/processing fees should be applied to any Illinois site. If you have trouble with this you should contact the Attorney General's Office. 

I think all the prepay accounts show Big Muddy as the main site.  Not sure why that is but my LO is not in Big Muddy either.  I think it just auto defaults to Big Muddy since it was the first one to turn up.

Offline cem31

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »
All facilities in the state of Illinois are under one contract.  Rules should not change per site as far as phone calls. No transaction/processing fees should be applied to any Illinois site. If you have trouble with this you should contact the Attorney General's Office. 

I think all the prepay accounts show Big Muddy as the main site.  Not sure why that is but my LO is not in Big Muddy either.  I think it just auto defaults to Big Muddy since it was the first one to turn up.

If this is true shouldn't we be entitled to a refund of all the CCPS processing fees we have paid over the yrs then?? They charged a $3.00 processing fee everytime you added funds

Offline humbird37

« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
Thanks for the input, but it was explained very clearly, right or wrong. I am not inclined to contact the Attorney General's office over $6.95.

Offline boop

« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
I didn't get charged a fee. After I added money the facility changed to the correct facility.

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Yes, I did set up an  Advance connect prepaid account! They know that, but said it was up to the facility, Big Muddy being one of them.....
Yes, I did set up an  Advance connect prepaid account! They know that, but said it was up to the facility, Big Muddy being one of them.....
All facilities in the state of Illinois are under one contract.  Rules should not change per site as far as phone calls. No transaction/processing fees should be applied to any Illinois site. If you have trouble with this you should contact the Attorney General's Office.  

I think all the prepay accounts show Big Muddy as the main site.  Not sure why that is but my LO is not in Big Muddy either.  I think it just auto defaults to Big Muddy since it was the first one to turn up.

If this is true shouldn't we be entitled to a refund of all the CCPS processing fees we have paid over the yrs then?? They charged a $3.00 processing fee everytime you added funds

This isn't about CCPS, it's about Securus.  I would venture to guess that CCPS and Securus had/have 2 different contracts each with their own specifics.

Offline cem31

« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
All facilities in the state of Illinois are under one contract.  Rules should not change per site as far as phone calls. No transaction/processing fees should be applied to any Illinois site. If you have trouble with this you should contact the Attorney General's Office.  

I think all the prepay accounts show Big Muddy as the main site.  Not sure why that is but my LO is not in Big Muddy either.  I think it just auto defaults to Big Muddy since it was the first one to turn up.

This isn't about CCPS, it's about Securus.  I would venture to guess that CCPS and Securus had/have 2 different contracts each with their own specifics.

I apologize if I upset or offended anyone, or if I was not clear in what I meant. All I'm asking is that if it was correctly stated, that these companies are NOT supposed to be charging a "processing fee" wouldn't that apply to any and all companies that are doing so, no matter if it is Securus, CCPS or any other company. Or did I misunderstand that it applies to the AMOUNT that is being charged for the processing fee and not the actual fact that they are charging it? Or does this "no processing fee should be charged" only apply to Securus. I'm just trying to be clear on what I read

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »

:wc225:

All so confusing!

The fee we are talking about, $7.95, is ONLY for Securus under their contract.  Consolidated has been charging that fee, $3.00, for years, under their contract, two separate things.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline cem31

« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
I received my $23.85 back in processing fees.  Had to go through the Attorney General but they did credit me back.  And NO, they are not suppose to charge $7.95.

You need to explain things further, pass it forward for other members, who pay this $7.95 charge too.  Why are they not suppose to charge it?   Are you talking a one time charge or repeated charges, please explain.  thank you!

Sorry bout that.  I checked the copy of the contract I asked for and the pricing says there will be no setup fees for prepay.  If anybody makes a payment on a prepay account in Illinois they should not be charged $7.95.  Securus is suppose to credit everyone for those charges.  I would check your Securus account first to see if they  :datingg: put the $7.95 charges back to your calling account.  If not then you should call the attorney general's office and file a complaint.  :datingg:

How did you go about getting a copy of the contract, did you get it directly from Securus or did you have to file a Freedom of Information Act? I would like to read it for myself to get a better understanding. Thanks

Offline DarkCloud

« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
For those who have set up an account and started using it, is there a limit as to how much you can add at a time?
I tried to add $260 but it wouldn't allow me to. It did allow me to add $250 though so it seems that's the limit you can add at one time.

Offline whimmer

« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
My LO called me today and told me that they were putting the new phones in Jacksonville today so they are all set for the change. The date for them to change is March 7th the last I checked but I went ahead and set up my acct today just in case they switch at an earlier date. It was very easy.