• October 21, 2018, 11:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 261195 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
I received my $23.85 back in processing fees.  Had to go through the Attorney General but they did credit me back.  And NO, they are not suppose to charge $7.95.

You need to explain things further, pass it forward for other members, who pay this $7.95 charge too.  Why are they not suppose to charge it?   Are you talking a one time charge or repeated charges, please explain.  thank you!

Sorry bout that.  I checked the copy of the contract I asked for and the pricing says there will be no setup fees for prepay.  If anybody makes a payment on a prepay account in Illinois they should not be charged $7.95.  Securus is suppose to credit everyone for those charges.  I would check your Securus account first to see if they  :datingg: put the $7.95 charges back to your calling account.  If not then you should call the attorney general's office and file a complaint.  :datingg:

Dreamsicle, thank you so much for your input on all this and paying it forward for everyone else!  This is all so new, that if everyone helps each other like you have, it all works!!! 

I know many members thank you too!!   101010
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
Question about Securus
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:44 AM »
Dixon is not set to transfer over till the 28th so I have yet to register with Securus.  I have a quesiton for anyone who has registered, I see 4 options on their site: Direct Bill account, Traditional Collect account, AdvanceConnect™, and account Inmate Debit account.  Who has registered for what and what do you believe to be the most benificial?  (to save $$$) and are we allowed to choose from all 4 options regardless of facility?  :wc13:  Thanks!!! 

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »
I just checked my account, my son is at BMR.  I did get a $7.95 credit for the process fee.  Since my son is on C-grade now I only have one phone call to report on.  12 mins @ 8:18pm total subtraction from balance was $4.47.  I do not remember what I was charged with CCPS. 

Offline carmswife

• My husband is my life, best friend and soulmate
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
Hi....I just talked to my loved one who is at Dixon. He told me that Dixon is going to this new phone service as of Friday the 15th. He told me to get it set up. He said there is a charge for it.  From what I have read below it is Securus and if you use pre-pay there is NO set up fee??? Also can someone give me the website and/or phone number to call to get this set up, so I can talk to him on Friday. I  up the last of my pre-pay with consolidated this with this mornings call and will not put any more on if I need to set up  for Friday. Can some one let me know what I need to do and if there is a charge?? I thank you you much in advance.

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »
really?  IDOC's website says the 28th for Dixon? 

Offline carmswife

« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »
Hi Jackster....
Actually, i found the the securus website and called the 800 number and got my account set up just now. I was told by the securus rep that DIXON will start on Monday the 25th. There was NO fee for setting up the account and I can prepay my account by using their website. I did not add money yet, i can do that online closer to the 25th. But at least my account is ready. Also, There is no fee for adding money at any time and it will be a $4.10 charge per call at Dixon (whether you talk 5 minutes or 20 minutes), it is the same amount. The number I called was 800-844-6591. Some facilities are starting the 15th, But rep  did say it is the 25th at Dixon ( I confirmed it 3 times). Also, i used the advance connect (Pre-Pay). If you want to use the collect account (accepting collect calls on your phone), they do a credit check before setting up your account. I hope this helped ( I saw your other question about if any set up yet).

Offline Jackster

• Mary Kay
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
Thank you sooo much!  So I assume the inmate debit account is not an option?  I just wanted this so he can call anyone on his list, not only me, like his son and mom. Can u add additional numbers to your account do you know? Thank you soo much for your help! :wc38:

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »
When I set up the account over the phone I had my house, my cell and my daughter's house put on this account.  My son can call any of them as long as there is money on the account.

Offline carmswife

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
 :wc11:
Hi.....according to the rep the debit account is not an option at Dixon.  You can add numbers to you account  that are in your name (like cell phone) I added my cell # along with my home number.
They must have the inmate call list, because when I gave her my number,the rep confirmed I was on the list and  I had to verify my information (name, address,) So if your mom is on his call list she can set up an account.
The rep I spoke to was very nice and answered all my questions I had.
I hope is helps.

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
I just went back into my online account and my daughter's number does not show up, only my house and cell.  I am going to check on this hopefully in the next week to see why since I was told OK on each number when I did it.

Offline carmswife

« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
jdmlt,
Maybe she said it was okay, if your daughter's number was on your l/o's inmate call list???? I hope you get it straightened out.

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
called and now know why daughter's number not on the account...she changed her number and it's not on the prison list of approved numbers...now will have son add her number and then call CBS back and get it added to account.  It's not like I didn't know any of this, just didn't cross my mind.  thanks to IPT posts, it brings me back to IDOC way of thinking and now will get it done.

Offline treats

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »
I just had my Securus account reactivated since it was closed after my l/o left the county jail. They charged me $6.95 when I added funds to my account online. Is this because I already had an account? Or because I did it online? When they asked where the calls would be coming from I told them Logan. Am I able to get a refund?

Offline humbird37

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2013, 06:07:16 AM »
I just got off the phone with Securus...questioning of I should receive a credit for the $6.95 start up fee. After much time....I was told it is not Securus charging that, it is the facility charging that for the first call only. Big Muddy being one of them! I was also told, "not all facilities charge that. I will not look into this again....first I wrote them, and got an answer that did not apply, and I had to call them...the wait was very long. Hope this helps someone..... :wc62:
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »
I just got off the phone with Securus...questioning of I should receive a credit for the $6.95 start up fee. After much time....I was told it is not Securus charging that, it is the facility charging that for the first call only. Big Muddy being one of them! I was also told, "not all facilities charge that. I will not look into this again....first I wrote them, and got an answer that did not apply, and I had to call them...the wait was very long. Hope this helps someone..... :wc62:

Humbird, did you set up a prepay account?  According to what Dreamsicle posted, they are not suppose to charge you the 7.95 fee to set that type of account up.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline humbird37

« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2013, 06:59:25 AM »
Yes, I did set up an  Advance connect prepaid account! They know that, but said it was up to the facility, Big Muddy being one of them.....

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:39 AM »
Yes, I did set up an  Advance connect prepaid account! They know that, but said it was up to the facility, Big Muddy being one of them.....

Hopefully Dreamsicle will see this and give you some advice.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »
I hope so too, we will see. Thanks Mah! :wc50:

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »
now I'm totally confused...can't find any of my notes when I opened the account.  But now I'm wondering, I did quick thinking and I thought I put on 30.00 plus the 7.95 they charged.  When I checked acct. it was more than 30 so I added the balance to the phone charge we used and came up with 37.95 so I figured they added the fee back in.  My LO is at BMR.  But with how my brain has been working lately I better look for my notes, not that it will make a difference with what Humbird is saying but I want to know anyways.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
Well I am now having a little "issue" with my account.  After I read everything that was going on with everyone here's account, I went in on-line to check mine.  I opened my account the end of January but have not yet added money.  
When I looked at my account - for some reason it said I was set up for Big Muddy.  Well.......... I was supposed to be set up for Logan??
So I called.  The rep I spoke with said actually I will have to pay a 7.95 fee if I add money prior to receiving my first call because my number has been previously called from another facility??
I said - no it hasn't.  I have never had an account with Securus before.  She said your number has had calls out of Granite City.
I said No.......... I live in Chicago and am not even sure where that is.
To make a long story short.  In the past - someone must have had my phone number which I have only had a year and received calls from Granite City.
Which still didn't explain why it said Big Muddy.
So because of that I have to wait for my L/O at Logan to actually try and call me from there when they switch over and the system will automatically change it over to Logan and then I can add money without having to pay the 7.95 fee.
When I went in on-line to look at my account again - magically the account was set to Granite City?    :wc14:

The rep I spoke to was very nice, however she was in Texas and not to familiar yet with all the IL rules and so on.  She said Logan would decide how long my calls last??  Totally weird.
So my experience has been very confusing so far to say the least.