• December 12, 2018, 11:05:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service  (Read 267837 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Securus Tech - New IDOC Phone Service
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
Has Centralia CC been switched yet??

Only BMR has, please check this topic for updates:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29389.0

It looks like Centralia is scheduled for Centralia 3/13/13.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline chadsangel4

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »
Forevermah, you might want to check out the IDOC website. It seems they have all the dates for the switch listed there. 

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/communityresources/Pages/InmatePhoneServices.aspx

\\\"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice.\\\"
-Desmond Tutu

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 10:49:27 PM »
Forevermah, you might want to check out the IDOC website. It seems they have all the dates for the switch listed there. 

I wonder why they would list Dwight? 

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
Implementation Schedule for DOC Facilities: Female Facilities

Decatur 2/4/13

Lincoln 2/26/13

Dwight 3/28/13

Male Facilities:

Bid Muddy River - Complete!

Vienna (incl Dixon Springs) 2/27/13

Danville 2/19/13

Sheridan 2/27/13

Shawnee (incl work camp) 2/28/13

Logan 2/26/13

Dixon 2/28/13

Southwestern (incl Work Camp) 2/28/13

Pontiac 2/27/13

Stateville 3/7/13

Pinckneyville (incl Duquion) 3/4/13

Taylorville 2/27/13

East Moline (incl work camp) 3/15/13

Vandalia 3/12/13

Jacksonville (incl work camps) 3/7/13

Peoria ATC 3/20/13

Lawrence 3/13/13

Graham 3/7/13

Centralia 3/13/13

Illinois River 3/12/13

Robinson 3/25/13

Western (incl work camp) 3/27/13

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2013, 05:58:14 AM »

Thank you chadsangel, they must of just changed that yesterday after I checked,  the other topic has been updated too!

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29389.0
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Dreamsicle

« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2013, 06:19:34 AM »
 :wc24: I've been doing some more checking on Securus.  Seems as if they are not only NOT suppose to charge any fees but I guess they were not the lowest call rate that the state could have picked.  Consolidated actually offered $3.49 for a 30 minutes phone call compared to the $4.10 that Securus is charging.  Also, I guess this is not over.  Consolidated is fighting this with the ICC!  So could be the reason for the delays in the switch.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2013, 06:23:56 AM »
:wc24: I've been doing some more checking on Securus.  Seems as if they are not only NOT suppose to charge any fees but I guess they were not the lowest call rate that the state could have picked.  Consolidated actually offered $3.49 for a 30 minutes phone call compared to the $4.10 that Securus is charging.  Also, I guess this is not over.  Consolidated is fighting this with the ICC!  So could be the reason for the delays in the switch.

Dates for the switches have just been posted and one prison is already done.  Securus has a contract till 2015 and an extension to get the other prisons switched over with their equipment until March 2013, this was all set up at the time of signing the new contract.

After your last post, I posted on all the ways you can AVOID the $7.95 charge to put money on our account, just scroll back a few posts. Is your LO at Big Muddy as they are the only one that has made the switch so far??

Please provide links of what you are talking about as far as the pricing changes and the information on Consolidated fighting this.

I think I already know what you are talking about, is this where you are getting your information about Consolidated protesting Securus being awarded the contract?

http://www.icc.illinois.gov/docket/documents.aspx?no=12-0413

Consolidated doesn't want to lose the cash cow they have had with IDOC for so many years with these inmate calls and are they are desperately fighting this.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »
Humbird or anyone else who is from Big Muddy and already getting calls from Securus, can you please do a comparison of what your fees are for a call from Securus to what they were from Consolidated?

Thank you!

I know I was paying over $10 per phone call by the time the connections fee was added and taxes and I would have welcomed $4.10 for that same phone call.  Is the $4.10 the total, or do they add connection and taxes?  Please advise.

Offline humbird37

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
I believe it was close to $10.00 for 30 minutes with consolidated,now with Securus, for me, it is $5.15 for however long you talk. If we talk 5 minutes it is the same price as 20 minutes! I am told Big Muddy is cutting the calls at 20 minutes.
Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
I believe it was close to $10.00 for 30 minutes with consolidated,now with Securus, for me, it is $5.15 for however long you talk. If we talk 5 minutes it is the same price as 20 minutes! I am told Big Muddy is cutting the calls at 20 minutes.

Thank you Humbird.   IF you talk the full 20 minutes and get your moneys worth, this new service is definitely cheaper than Consolidated.   

How much was the current connection fee from Consolidated for any call, no matter how long you talked and what was the rate after that per minute?  Can someone break that down for us??

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
I found my notes and was told back in 2010 that it was a $2.05 connect fee, .25/min, $3.00 fee for prepay, $10 for 30 minutes when being billed, $9.30 for 30 minutes if it was prepaid.

This is what my last Consolidated bill was being billed through AT&T:

13 mins.......5.75
28 mins.......9.50
30 mins.......10.00
10 mins.......5.00
30 mins.......10.00
22 mins.......8.00
10 mins.......5.00
30 mins.......10.00
30 mins.......10.00
20 mins.......7.50

10 calls  Total= $80.75

Federal Universal Service Fee Fund  .28

State Infrastructure Maintenance Fee  .41
State Additional Charges  .08
Total Local, State and Federal Charges   .49

Taxes....Illinois at 7%     5.67
Municipal Telecommunications Tax   4.85
Total Taxes   10.52

_______
TOTAL BILL for the month   ****$92.04****

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »
Thanks TSS!

If given what Humbird already knows about the service and the maximum amount of a 20 minute call or anything up to 20 minutes being the same $5.15 total charges, than anyone can break it all down as per the PER MINUTE RATE for these calls.

$5.15 ÷ 20 minutes (Securus) = .2575 per minute

$10 ÷ 30 minutes (Consolidated) = .3333 per minute

You can also take any of the figures TSS has posted and break them down as to the per minute call rate for example

$5.85 ÷13 = .4423 per minute (Consolidated) (plus taxes)

Anyway you look at this, if Securus sticks to the $5.15 for a 20 minute call, they are still going to save people $$$$..

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out!

Offline cem31

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Saving money is great!! What sucks is that's 10 minutes less we get to talk =(.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »
Saving money is great!! What sucks is that's 10 minutes less we get to talk =(.

If your inmate is allowed to call right back after the first call, you still can talk an EXTRA 10 minutes for the same price as consolidated charged for 30 minutes, that of course if you were one of those paying $10 plus taxes for a 30 min. call, I know I was.

Offline treats

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
Does anyone if they interrupt the calls with their announcements about the call being from someone inside a prison facility? I know that when my husband was in the county jail the phone company was Securus and they use to interrupt the call twice during a 15 minute call to announce that you were talking to an inmate (like i didn't know). The announcement lasted around 35 seconds each time. Very annoying I must say.

Offline snshess

« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2013, 05:21:34 PM »
 :wc38:  for the breakdown...my L/O is at E Moline and I want to avoid paying the $8 fee so could I call set up an pre-pay account and mail in a check towards end of February so that when the switch happens I am ready without the extra expense? Or do you recommend me waiting until the actual switch? Also does anyone have a number for them to speak to actual person? The number I have is strictly automated.

Offline OnOurOwn16

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
 Does anyone know why Menard is not listed yet? Should we assume any facilities not listed will simply be last & conversions will occur march 31?

Offline mrsstreets71

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »
This is the same company that the county is setup with, do the account switch over?

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
Does anyone know why Menard is not listed yet? Should we assume any facilities not listed will simply be last & conversions will occur march 31?

I was wondering the same thing.  Maybe it's just an oversight?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
I think there is more than Menard that is not listed as of yet.