• February 20, 2019, 10:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Work Release Process  (Read 8322 times)

Offline JulieD618

Work Release Process
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »
Hello all, I am trying to find more information on the work release process. I am wanting to hear from someone who just recently went through it. My bf's counselor came to him and told him Springfield approved him for work release and she had him fill out paperwork. I called and they said this means he was just on a recommended list from Springfield and the paperwork was him really applying now for it. So what happens next? They will let him know if he was approved within the next 30 days? And if so, then he waits months for a spot to open? Or would he be transferred to a different place to wait for a spot, since he's in Big Muddy (medium security prison)? Any info would be great! Thanks.

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
Re: Work Release Process
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »
He should remain in the same prison he is currently at while waiting for work release.  Depending on where he is at on the waiting list it could be weeks to months before is moved for work release.   I am not sure how much time he has left but should the wait be so long that his outdate approaches and he has a small time left, there is the possibility he may not be put into work release.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline LMD

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
Once he fills out the paperwork given to him via his counselor at BMR he will first have to be approved by the warden at BMR.  Upon this approval, his paperwork will be sent to Springfield for approval.  The approval process can take about a month per approval request (1 month from BMR, 1 month from Springfield), but once he is approved by both he will be placed on a list to await transfer.  Oftentimes, after being approved, they are then transferred to a Work Camp to await transfer to Work Release.  For example, if he is going to Peoria for Work Release he will probably be transferred to Pittsfield Work Camp (or possibly Green County Work Camp), and if he is going to a Work Release center in Chicago he will probably get transferred to Statesville's Farm.  I don't know how often they go straight from their current institution to Work Release without first being sent to a Work Camp, but I do know that oftentimes they are sent to a Work Camp after receiving Work Release approval from Springfield.

Offline fromcolorado

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
It sounds like he was on the TR109 list. That is the list the Springfield puts out at the beginning of each month for people who they think might be approved for work release. Being approved to transfer to an ATC takes from 4-6 weeks for people who are not class X offenders. He will most certainly be transferred to either Jacksonville ( and then on to either Pittsfield or Greene County) if going to Peoria, SIATC, or DATC. If headed to Chicago, he will go to the Farm at Statesville. There is no telling how
long he will be there as the backlog is HUGE for ATC's right now. Thank the ASCME suit for that.

Offline sammyson

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »
My l/o just got approved for work release back on Sept 17th he just went to healthcare on friday October 19th... he is going to Jacksonville on wednesday but I don't know how long he will be there for before he goes to peoria... I hope it isn't long that he has to wait. But thats all I know about the subject :) :wc1:

Offline JulieD618

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:02:46 PM »
Great thanks everyone, you info helps a lot!

Offline meems

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »
Hello all  does or has anyone had an l/o who applied for work release from Pittsfield work camp?  Or in general. VHow long did it take after the application went in. My l/o's counselor completed this 2 mo. Ago and we haven't heard back yet. Is there anyone I can contact from the outside? Is the warden the at Pittsfield the same as Jacksonville and Greenville? He is from the Chicago area, I assume he will be placed at the lawndale facility. If he is transferred to the farm to the lawndale atc, how long is that about? Any help is appreciated! Thanks !

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »
Hello all  does or has anyone had an l/o who applied for work release from Pittsfield work camp?  Or in general. VHow long did it take after the application went in. My l/o's counselor completed this 2 mo. Ago and we haven't heard back yet. Is there anyone I can contact from the outside? Is the warden the at Pittsfield the same as Jacksonville and Greenville? He is from the Chicago area, I assume he will be placed at the lawndale facility. If he is transferred to the farm to the lawndale atc, how long is that about? Any help is appreciated! Thanks !

This could take awhile and it could come back that he is properly placed and denied.  There are more guys applying than there are places to put them.

There isn't anyone you can contact, the process has to go through with Springfield making the final decision.  Just keep good thoughts that he will be accepted and then the wait will be on for a space to open up and whatever center he would be put in.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline pmilver

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
Hi Meems
My son applied for work release the first day he was eligible to.  He was at East Moline.  He got notification of work release a couple of weeks before Christmas maybe a month or so after he sent in the application (or whatever it is) for work release.  We called his IL State Senators office (in Chicago) and they did call the transfer coordinator's office asking for consideration for work release for my son.  I know the Senator's office actually did call because they were able to tell us 2 or 3 weeks before my son got any official notification about work release, where he was going!  The Senator's office gave us the address for North Lawndale and said that is where he will be going.  They were right.  I don't know if the call from the Senator's office helped but they sure knew what was going on quickly.  FYI to anyone wanting work release in Chicago: North Lawndale will give "time off sentence credits" for classes.  My son is registering for college classes tomorrow!  They do make get a job first.  You have to be working before they will let you do classes, at least college classes.  I don't know about other classes.  The other ATC in Chicago, Crossroads, told us they do not give this kind of credit for classes.  At least when we called and talked to them several times, that is what they said.  Good luck.

Offline meems

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »
 :wc38: I appreciate the info!! My l/o just got transferred tonight, I just received the vine text message. He is at stateville now. Did your son do any time at the farm? I am praying he gets north lawndale, we are from the city and it would be amazing. I will call the senators office tmrw. any tips? Thanks again!!

Offline onesadmomma

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
It sounds like he was on the TR109 list. That is the list the Springfield puts out at the beginning of each month for people who they think might be approved for work release. Being approved to transfer to an ATC takes from 4-6 weeks for people who are not class X offenders. He will most certainly be transferred to either Jacksonville ( and then on to either Pittsfield or Greene County) if going to Peoria, SIATC, or DATC. If headed to Chicago, he will go to the Farm at Statesville. There is no telling how
long he will be there as the backlog is HUGE for ATC's right now. Thank the ASCME suit for that.

I know this is an old post but it is exactly the info I was looking for! (I think LOL)

My son (who is at Hardin) was told he was denied work release, which was perplexing since he didn't apply for it yet. All he was told was that his name was on the list from Springfield, but was told since he was originally a boot camper he was denied as no boot camper ever gets work release (even if they were medically excluded after 1 week by the IDOC as opposed to quitting or getting discharged). But then he was later told that he was denied because he was originally a boot camper and getting work release now would put him "out" before his original boot camp out date of 9/23 and that he may eventually still get it but not until after that date. Anyone had any experience with this?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:30:23 PM »
onesadmomma, I am not sure on the ruling about once they have been sent back to prison from bootcamp, that they are no longer eligible for work release, but I will look through our criteria for bootcamp and work release(Title 20) and see what I can find.

I don't understand what they said about him getting out earlier if he got into work release than he would have if he had stayed in bootcamp.  They do not give them any extra time for going to work release, it is the same time that any other inmate would get.  The bootcamp program is between 120-180 days.

What was your sons total sentence?  How much more time did they give him inside, what is his outdate on his profile on the IDOC website?
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline onesadmomma

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 08:52:44 AM »
onesadmomma, I am not sure on the ruling about once they have been sent back to prison from bootcamp, that they are no longer eligible for work release, but I will look through our criteria for bootcamp and work release(Title 20) and see what I can find.

I don't understand what they said about him getting out earlier if he got into work release than he would have if he had stayed in bootcamp.  They do not give them any extra time for going to work release, it is the same time that any other inmate would get.  The bootcamp program is between 120-180 days.

What was your sons total sentence?  How much more time did they give him inside, what is his outdate on his profile on the IDOC website?

I think what they were saying is that work release would have put him "out" sooner in the sense of not being in a physical prison even though he would have been under IDOC control on work release. His sentence was 3 years, with the boot camp recommendation. His out date now is October 20, 2015. His boot camp out date was September 23, 2014. So as I understand it they won't approve work release until at least after the 9/23/14 date. Some of the info re: boot camp is very specific if you have quit or been kicked out of boot camp. Being medically excluded is a very gray area from what I can tell.