• February 20, 2019, 10:27:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: 13 ye.ar old sentenced until age 18 for Arson  (Read 1678 times)

Offline meangene

13 ye.ar old sentenced until age 18 for Arson
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
My Grandson's friend, age 13, was sentenced with his cousin until they are 18 for one and 21 for the other to a Juvenile facility in Illinois    Where do the young boys start out in DOC?  Do they ever qualify for parole before they reach 18 years old?  I will ask his Mom for contact information so we can write.  He is such a sweet, gentle young man and I fear greatly for him.  There is a Christian Children home in Missouri that we know of, Shiloh in Shelbina Mo.  Do the courts ever release boys to one of these types of situations?  Do you have any advice I can pass on to his Mom?

Offline meangene

Re: 13 ye.ar old sentenced until age 18 for Arson
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »
I made an inquiry at Shiloh and they do not take children in who are sentenced to DOC.  They take children in a foster situation.  Lovely place and it would have been good for him there.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »
meangene, I wish I could answer all your questions, but I can't ... Juvenile Justice is a whole separate operation from IDOC, they do have a website and you might be able to contact someone there and ask:

http://www.idjj.state.il.us/

Please let us know what you find out for future reference and hopefully any other member who has dealt with the juvenile side can help too.

Going to move this topic to our Juvenile Justice Board!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline meangene

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
Found out that the 13 year old we know will not be incarcerated but will go to an alternative program and for the time being will remain in his home.  His cousin will carry the brunt of the punishment and we are not close to his family.  So thank you for your help but I will not be allowed to follow his progress into whatever the court decide to do with this young man.  I guess we just need to keep him in our prayers and if it becomes available to us, send him some letters and some money to help him through.