Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 25, 2014, 04:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Decatur Women's Correctional Center  (Read 3621 times)
ldurbin33

« on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:27 AM »

Hi. I am new to this IDOC thing and I have lots of questions. My L/O was sentenced to prison last month and was intially sent to Dwight for R/C. While there I set her up a phone account & put money in her commissary. I was wondering if this money followed her from Dwight to Decatur. Also, when will she be allowed to call? I am worried about her and would feel better if I could talk to her. Since I have sent her a couple of letters (the first one was sent back because I failed to put my full name on the return address) I was wondering if they will find her or get sent back?

Also, does anyone know how visitation works there? Any limitations? What can I expect when I visit for the first time?

Any answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

kp18437
Mod Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The money on her books will follow her, but sometimes takes a while to catch up.  Up to a couple of weeks.  It's a good idea to put a small amount on her books right away to ensure that she can go to commissary till her other funds catch up.  It can take up to a month to get the phone list approved.  Sometimes, even longer.  As long as you have the account set up with Consolidated, when her list is approved and she gets her PIN, she'll be able to call you.  The mail you've sent will catch up to her.  Again, it will take a little while, but she should receive it.  You'll also have to wait to have her visitation list approved.

Generic visitation rules - you'll need two forms of ID, one must be a photo ID.  Dress like you're going to church.  When you get to the facility, you'll have to fill out some paperwork.  It seems very threatening the first time you visit, but you get used to it.

Other members may be more familiar with Decatur, I'm sure they'll be along to give you more exact information.

Again, welcome and always feel free to ask any questions you may have.

wc70
blueroses64

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »

My best friend is in Decatur right now and I visit her every week.  Once you fill out the initial paperwork the first time and give them two forms of ID, the rest of the visits all you need is your license or state ID.  They are a little picky about clothes there.....they won't let you wear a cardigan sweater or jacket.  If all you have on under that is a tank top they make you go to target (close by)  and buy a shirt with sleeves or you can't visit.  I have seen this happen a couple of times.  Shorts have to have 8 inch inseams.  The good thing about visiting there is that you can spend the whole day if you want, as long as the visiting room isn't full.  Weekdays I have stayed for 8 hours or more.  They get 8 visits a month.  The food selection isn't that great but it's ok I guess.  There is a little courtyard off the visit room where you can sit outside.  She should be able to call you soon.....when my friend moved from Lincoln to Decatur she called me the next day.  But if your l/o is coming from Dwight and didn't have her list approved yet and didn't have her PIN number it may take longer.  Like kp said, the money and letters will follow her, might take a week or so though.  If you have any more specific questions I would be glad to tell you what I know! 

ldurbin33

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »

Thank you both for help. It helped quiet my mind and not worry so much about her. I didn't think about putting more money in her commissary, thanks for the tip. I hope everything catches up to her soon and she gets all of her lists approved. I thought when they moved her from Dwight that all of that had been taken care of. So glad that I decided not to go try & visit today.
Once again, thanks for all of the help and tips. It helps knowing that our family isn't the only family experiencing this.
meangene

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »

My granddaughter came home yesterday from Decatur.  If your LO does not have any violent crimes in their sentences or past arrests, they should apply for OPD Clearace  Outside Property Department ASAP.  You get unlimited visits, work in the area with Moms and Babies and get to be around the babies.  You also get jobs outside the fence like cutting grass and upkeep of the parking lot area.  Another place to apply...especially if she has a lot of time to do...is Industry.  A paid job that gets you good time off your sentence.  Mail is slow, food rations are smaller, but taste better than the other female prisons.  The diet has changed a little but still heavy on soy.  You get 10 min. to eat.  Commissary is pricey.  Tempers are short as they wait for the new laws to be implemented.
ldurbin33

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:36:58 PM »

I FINALLY got a phone call from my daughter. She seems ok but, a bit depressed. I guess that is to be expected. I plan on visiting her Thursday or Saturday and I was wondering that other than the visitation form and 2 forms of ID, what else should I bring? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
blueroses64

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »

You can bring magazines or books.....you leave them at the front desk and they get them to her later.  The only thing you can take in the visit room is the key to your locker and vending machine cards.  I think you need a five dollar bill to buy a card....and then it has two dollars on it.  You can put up to $40 on each card.  Everything else they have you put in a locker.  You can't wear a cardigan or jacket into the visiting room, so just a long or short sleeve shirt is easiest, depending on the weather. I'm going Friday, so I guess I won't see you there!!  :)

ldurbin33

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »

Thank you so much blueroses64 for the information. I wish I could go Friday but between work & the gym (which I need to relieve some of this stress) I wouldn't be able to get there until late and then I wouldn't have time to visit her. I have decided to go on Saturday just for that reason. I have a lot to say to her and I don't want to cut my visit short because I have to get home to take care of critters, husband, etc. Also, thanks for the information about the magazines. I was planning on sending her a couple but, if I can save the postage and just leave them at the desk, I will. I know she can't have any magazines with pics of guns, ammo, or drugs so I am wondering if I can give her National Geographic (which is one of her favorites) magazines. Guess I will have to go through and take out anything I think she can't have.

Hope your visit goes well Friday.  wc30
blueroses64

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »

Thank you!  I just wanted to also say that if you go on the weekend you might not get to stay as long......I don't know if this weekend will be busier since it's a holiday weekend.  It has been my experience in all three women's prison's that the earlier you go the busier it is......so if you are wanting to stay for longer than two hours for sure then maybe don't go first thing in the morning.....because you will be one of the first ones to be asked to leave if the visiting room gets full and more folks are still coming.  I can't tell you for sure that will happen but I know the weekends are definitely busier.  I go during the week and can stay all day and I have never been to Decatur on the weekend.....I was at Lincoln once on a Saturday and got to stay about 2 1/2 hours and that was it.  Just wanted to warn you ahead of time.  I think you would have a better chance of staying longer if you waited until afternoon.....anyway, don't know if this matters but since you said you wanted time to talk I thought I would throw it out there!  I hope your visit goes well too! 

ldurbin33

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:49:41 AM »

Thank you once again blueroses64. The information that you gave me is greatly appreciated. I wish I could go visit during the week but, I just don't seem to be able to. I planned on going late morning to early afternoon. My L/O & I definitely have some things to talk about and she probably won't like what I am going to say but, I have to say it. She needs to know what is on my mind. I realize that our visit shouldn't be that way but, I don't know when the next time I will be visiting. I may not stay the full 2 hours. Thanks again and enjoy your visit.  wc38
Pages: 1   Go Up
Print
Jump to: