• February 20, 2019, 10:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Will Every Inmate Be Eligible for Supplemental Sentence Credits?  (Read 83807 times)

Offline Serb735

• Always, Forever & Unconditionally
Re: Will Every Inmate Be Eligible for Supplemental Sentence Credits?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
My LO was also convicted of a Class X felony for manufacturing and distributing. I could be wrong but I after reading (and re-reading - over and over) these posts I still can't figure it out, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. I would be interested though to hear if anyone else does have a LO with a Class X that receives it.

Offline lovinghim2013

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »
My LO has not heard anything from his counselor in regards to being granted good time his out date is October of this year! He was told by another inmate that if you have a DUI you wouldn't be considered for SSC, although I don't know anything about this matter I told him I would find out! Is this true??!!

Offline jaxsgirl

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
 :wc13: I can't make heads or tails out of all the legal mumbo jumbo but I'd be interested in the answer to that question too (re: good time / DUI)

Offline jaxsgirl

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
One part says yes they will qualify for good time up to 4.5 days per month of sentence then another paragraph says no more than 90 days credit will be given:

(2.6) The rules and regulations on sentence credit

shall provide that a prisoner who is serving a sentence for aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, or intoxicating compound or compounds or any combination thereof as defined in subparagraph (C) of paragraph (1) of subsection (d) of Section 11-501 of the Illinois Vehicle Code committed on or after January 1, 2011 (the effective date of Public Act 96-1230) shall receive no more than 4.5 days of sentence credit for each month of his or her sentence of imprisonment.
        (3) The rules and regulations shall also provide that

the Director may award up to 180 days additional sentence credit for good conduct in specific instances as the Director deems proper. The good conduct may include, but is not limited to, compliance with the rules and regulations of the Department, service to the Department, service to a community, or service to the State. However, the Director shall not award more than 90 days of sentence credit for good conduct to any prisoner who is serving a sentence for conviction of first degree murder, reckless homicide while under the influence of alcohol or any other drug, or aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, or intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof as defined in subparagraph (F) of paragraph (1) of subsection (d) of Section 11-501 of the Illinois Vehicle Code

Offline jaxsgirl

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
After re-reading my previous post - I think I have a better understanding of the 2nd paragraph - the Prison officials can give ADDITIONAL  good time but not more than 90 days for an agg DUI - so my understanding is that yes our LO's can qualify for the 6 months good time and possibly another 90 days good time! Anyone out there that can confirm this interpretation would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:01 AM »
After re-reading my previous post - I think I have a better understanding of the 2nd paragraph - the Prison officials can give ADDITIONAL  good time but not more than 90 days for an agg DUI - so my understanding is that yes our LO's can qualify for the 6 months good time and possibly another 90 days good time! Anyone out there that can confirm this interpretation would be greatly appreciated.

The first paragraph is referring to the Statutory Credit awarded to inmates. That is what we call the 50, 85, or 100% sentences. It is basically saying that an agg. DUI is an 85% sentence on or after 1/1/2011.

The second paragraph is saying how much Good Time an inmate with an agg. DUI can receive.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »
After re-reading my previous post - I think I have a better understanding of the 2nd paragraph - the Prison officials can give ADDITIONAL  good time but not more than 90 days for an agg DUI - so my understanding is that yes our LO's can qualify for the 6 months good time and possibly another 90 days good time! Anyone out there that can confirm this interpretation would be greatly appreciated.

Please reread what I posted and then go to Section 11-501 of the Illinois Vehicle Code (you can do a google search for that)   and it will describe what DUI's would be considered to receive the new SSC.  SSC - the new good time for behavior which is not guaranteed is ONLY 180 days and in some cases only 90 days and others none.

The Director may award up to 180 days additional sentence credit for good conduct in specific instances as the Director deems proper. The good conduct may include, but is not limited to, compliance with the rules and regulations of the Department, service to the Department, service to a community, or service to the State. However, the Director shall not award more than 90 days of sentence credit for good conduct to any prisoner who is serving a sentence for conviction of first degree murder, reckless homicide while under the influence of alcohol or any other drug, or aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, or intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof as defined in subparagraph (F) of paragraph (1) of subsection (d) of Section 11-501 of the Illinois Vehicle Code
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jaxsgirl

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
Forevermah - my LO was ordered to do 50% of his time on his AGG/DUI driving while revoked - so do i understand this to say he doesn't qualify for 6 months good time but could get 90 days good time max? Appreciate your patience - I know this is a hot topic right now and your an angel for trying to help us all understand this rule and what it all means.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
Forevermah - my LO was ordered to do 50% of his time on his AGG/DUI driving while revoked - so do i understand this to say he doesn't qualify for 6 months good time but could get 90 days good time max? Appreciate your patience - I know this is a hot topic right now and your an angel for trying to help us all understand this rule and what it all means.

I don't think the fact that he is on DUI disqualifies him, it all depends on the circumstances of the DUI.  An AGG charge usually means someone is hurt, but in the case of some DUI's, mutiple offenses leads to the AGG charge even if no one was hurt/harmed and in the case of your LO driving on a revoked after multiple offenses? probably got him his charge.

If you go to the Illinois Vehicle Code and look up what they are saying in that code "in subparagraph (F) of paragraph (1) of subsection (d) of Section 11-501 of the Illinois Vehicle Code".  If this pertains to your LO, then no, I don't think he would be eligigle for the new SSC.  

SECTION:  d) Aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, or intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof.

PARAGRAPH      (1) Every person convicted of committing a violation

SUB PARAGRAPH
   (F) the person, in committing a violation of

section (a), was involved in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle, or watercraft accident that resulted in the death of another person, when the violation of subsection (a) was a proximate cause of the death;

Now, with all this being said, there are other factors when IDOC awards this new SSC and there is no one here, that can tell anyone if their LO will or will not get it, unless their conviction dictates it by the new legislation/Vehicle Code.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline jaxsgirl

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
No there was no accident, noone was hurt. It was because it was the 2nd one and the driving while revoked. I guess we'll just have to wait and see..... thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I just can't wait to put this whole thing behind us.

Offline teara29

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
Can inmates get drug program good time and 180 day goodtime?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
Can inmates get drug program good time and 180 day goodtime?

Yes, two different kinds of Sentence Credit.  180 days is Supplemental, the other is Program Sentence Credit.

Offline teara29

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
Thanks. Does anyone know if they started issuing it at Sheridan?

Offline jaf

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
Thanks. Does anyone know if they started issuing it at Sheridan?

Yes, I've seen some from Sheridan on the list.

Offline snshess

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »
How do u know what facility they are getting out of?

Offline LMD

« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »
When you look up the inmate on the IDOC website under Community Notification of Early Release the facility that they were released from is listed under "Parent Institution" at the top right underneath their picture.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2013, 07:44:19 PM »
How do u know what facility they are getting out of?

If you go to the Early Release list for SSC on IDOC website, you can check and see where some are being released:

https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/Offender/Pages/CommunityNotificationofInmateEarlyRelease.aspx

Offline snshess

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2013, 07:37:22 AM »
thank u...so u have to look up each one individually, it doesnt tell u on the list.  The list is only the ones that have been released already not who are getting it so far. Think i understand it now...lol

Offline GoodGirl

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
If I understand things correctly, my L/O can only get 90 (max) good time, because he is a class X (murder in 1995). 

Can he also get an additional 60 days for completing his GED, which he did back in 2003?

I've been trying to read all the fine print in the Public Act in regards to conviction dates (one saying prior to 1998, he may be eligible), but it's kinda giving me a headache.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
If I understand things correctly, my L/O can only get 90 (max) good time, because he is a class X (murder in 1995). 

Can he also get an additional 60 days for completing his GED, which he did back in 2003?

I've been trying to read all the fine print in the Public Act in regards to conviction dates (one saying prior to 1998, he may be eligible), but it's kinda giving me a headache.

If he got his GED in 2003 and was eligible for the time, that should have been credited long ago.