Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

VIENNA ON LOCKDOWN. NO VISITS ALLOWED. 

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 28, 2014, 08:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correspondence Courses for Inmates  (Read 6877 times)
Lu

« on: May 15, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »

Does anyone know of outside college courses or correspondence courses that inmates can take?  Or any type of extended study that might be available specifically for inmates?   If so, please let me know of any contacts.
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:14 AM »

Here is a link you might want to check out here on IPT about correspondence courses, not sure if any of them are still up and running:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=10706.msg79552#msg79552

Your inmate can also get on the lists at Lawrence for whatever classes they have there and he could talk to his counselor to see if they have any correspondence courses they would allow.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Lu

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:39 AM »

What is the up-to-date status of vocational training classes at Lawrence? 

My son has been there about a month and would like to sign up for a program.   I understand that it might take some time but was wondering if they are still offered due to cut backs.   What could be a game plan for the next 8 years so that he can be qualified to do something when he gets out?   He has a HS diploma and some college.   Interested in IT/networking, culinary arts, handiman work, etc.

Would appreciate any information others may have experienced with the system.  He wants to "work the time instead of it working him".  We will continue to look into correspondence classes.
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »

What is the up-to-date status of vocational training classes at Lawrence? 

My son has been there about a month and would like to sign up for a program.   I understand that it might take some time but was wondering if they are still offered due to cut backs.   What could be a game plan for the next 8 years so that he can be qualified to do something when he gets out?   He has a HS diploma and some college.   Interested in IT/networking, culinary arts, handiman work, etc.

Would appreciate any information others may have experienced with the system.  He wants to "work the time instead of it working him".  We will continue to look into correspondence classes.

These are the classes/programs that are currently offered at Lawrence according the IDOC website.  Each inmate must get his name on the list for the programs he is interested and it takes time for them to get in, some inmates wait months/years because of how crowded and long the lists are for these programs.

Inmate Programs

Academic:

ABE (Adult Basic Education)
    GED (General Educational Development)

Vocational:

Commercial Custodial
    Baccalaureate Courses
    Print Management
    Food Service Tech
    Career Technologies

Volunteer Services:

Chaplaincy
    Tutor Training/Literacy Development
    Story Book Program
    Father’s Initiative

Other:

Substance Abuse Education
    Leisure Time Activity
    Chaplaincy
    Library
    TRAC I
    Lifestyle Redirection
    Parole School
    Monthly “Hot Topics”
    New Offender Orientation
    Re-Entry Summits

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
veracity

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »

Hi Lu
 My son also wanted to make the most of his time and thank goodness because after 2 years he has yet to get into any kind of vocational training. I think they figure he's smart & he'll be alright without training plus he doesn't get any sentencing credits because his charge was an incoate crime so they let other guys into programs.

I have been buying up textbooks at Goodwill and on Ebay and sending them to him.

He's like the professor at Sheridan. Accounting, management, business math, ethics, chemistry. I have sent lots of dummies and idiot's series books on computers, webdesign & networking. Now we're on entrepenuer books. How to start your own business.
Got him a subscription to Inc & Time & Entrepenuer magazines.

He does drive us nuts though. He talks to us about what he's learned like we're smart enough to know what the heck he's talking about and then he constantly wants to learn something new. "get me a book on painting cars, get one on construction"

And then he got his hands on some book catalog and was going through money fast. Hard to bitch about your kid spending money on books but some were expensive. He's sent some home and donated others to the library.

I bought a bunch of Tyvek envelopes and mail up to 5 at a time usine media mail rates. Good luck.

RMadrigal

Miss My Son

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »

Lu my son is in Lawrence and had been in school for the last year and a half but I was there to visit him on Wednesday and he said that classes were going to be cancelled for about 3 weeks and he said he is not sure why, he said hopefully he will hear something and let me know.

Its really too bad if they go longer than the 3 weeks but hope not because it helps to have them in school, they do something productive and stay out of trouble....

Good Luck!!!
Lu

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »

Thanks for all the info.   My son had mentioned me sending any sort of training manuals that he could learn from.  I had not thought of textbooks.   Will certainly look at this with a different perspective.   Filling up 8 years is going to be difficult!!

I hope these classes actually are offered.   I will certainly have him look into signing up.   
Nemdf

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:48:10 AM »

Our LO is at Western.  As my kids went through college, we have sent him any textbooks that they were unable to sell back to the bookstore.  He has really enjoyed getting them.  I expect they go to the library when he finishes with them. 
saskatchewanian

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the approved providers of correspondence courses are to Menard inmates?
My penpal has a LWOP sentence so he's not entitled to any free courses and I'd just like to look into somewhere that he could pay to take something.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Lu

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

I would love to know the same about correspondence courses for Lawrence Correctional Center.  I hope someone has an answer!
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 06:42:18 PM »

Try this link for a paralegal correspondence course, some here have used this one:

http://www.blackstone.edu/inmate-information/

also, do a search on google for Inmate Correspondence courses..

saskatchewanian

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »

I've done a lot of searches and xxxxx  does have a list of those that still do printed correspondence courses but I had heard that Menard only let certain vendors in.

And that information I am unable to find online. I suppose I can just wait for R. to get back to me... I just wanted to look into it ahead if I could :)
chantygirl

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »

You could call the prison and ask one of the counsellors.  They could tell you which ones are allowed. 

Lu

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »

Does anyone know how to get a copy of the commissary list for art supplies at Lawrence?   I think it is through a Mr. Soto connected at Lawrence.    My son is interested in seeing the list and orderng material but no one seems to be able to see the list.

Any information on this subject would be appreciated!!
cinlu87

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »

I ordered my hubby a catalogue from Dick Blick and had it sent to him.  They can order art supplies through this company.  I hope that this helpd a little.

Lu

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »

Is that a company or within the prison system?   I'll try to look them up.  Thanks for the heads up.
Marks_guy

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 01:48:59 AM »

Dick Blick is the art supply company IDOC deals with. They are a major business, so there is not any problems with them, unlike some of the other vendors. The scholastic catalog is the best to order.

Your loved one will have to do the ordering himself, you cannot do it for him. He should have a list of allowed supplies (specific brands, quantities, sizes, etc.) he can order.
Lu

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »

That is wonderful information.   I'll pass that along to him.   But if he has to do this inhouse then that is where the problem has been.   He hasn't been able to get anyone to give him a catalogue or commissary list.   I may call a counselor.   At least I now know that it is there.
cinlu87

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

Lu,
Order a catalogue to be delivered to him directly!  That's what I did for my hubby.  Also once he looks at it you can always place the order on the outside to be delivered to him.

Marks_guy

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:14 AM »

Lu,
Order a catalogue to be delivered to him directly!  That's what I did for my hubby.  Also once he looks at it you can always place the order on the outside to be delivered to him.

Do NOT do this. IDOC does not allow art supplies to be sent in, even when sent directly from the manufacturer/vendor.

He needs to speak with someone in commissary to find out which products are allowed, then place the order through them.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: