Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

HILL ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
WESTERN ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
ROBINSON ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
PINCKNEYVILLE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2014, 12:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does a transfer take?  (Read 1603 times)
RdRunner75

« on: April 05, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »

Ok, a bit of what's been going on. My husband was trying to get work release. He is in Vandalia, 5 hours from us. He is very concerned about our finances at home and the travel costs to top that and wanted to be able to help. His counselor told him since he is on anti depressants he has to refuse those for 3 months before he would be considered for work release. He has been doing that. Now today his counselor tells him 3 months off the anti depressants, plus he will have a 9 month time of being observed off the meds before he can put in for work release. Well he only has a little over 13 months to go, so it wouldn't be worth it. Here is what's going on now.... He requested a transfer. His counselor suggested Sheridan. He had a presciption drug addiction which led him down this path. He did a 28 day inpatient drug treatment program before any convictions on his own accord. 2 of his charges are not drug charges and the 3rd one I'm not sure if that's classified as a drug charge, but does show that he had a presciption drug problem. So I'm guessing thats why his counselor suggested Sheridan and it's also only an hour and a half ride from home vs 5 hours. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for the whole transfer process to go through?  He said something about 2 months but we were out of talk time so there was no more time to explain what the 2 months is.
Angela
Mod Squad

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:43:25 PM »

I do know that they can not be on any kind of medications like that what so ever to get into the Work release program. There really isn't a time frame that you can put on it as to how long it will take. Usually they are most likely to be denied the first time they apply, then they have to wait another 6 months before they can reapply. This I do know because it happened to my LO and he is now able to reapply.
The last time I check Springfield is very selective as to who can do the Work release Program.
 Hope this information helps you some? Good Luck.   wc71-1    wc69   
RdRunner75

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »

Thanks Angela for the reply. Yeah, work release is pretty much out, because if I heard him right (our 17 month old was running around into everything while this conversation was taking place) 3 month off medication plus 9 months of observation afterwards before a request can be considered, that's 12 months of waiting and he only has a little over 13 months left of his sentance. I sure hope he isn't denied transfer. I think he could really benefit from being in Sheridan. Not getting my hopes up high though. I've learned really quick to not get high hopes in this whole process. I just wish I knew an approximate time frame on the transfer process. And I'm learning really quick also to not expect things to move fast either ha ha ha!  If your LO is planning to reapply I wish him the best of luck!
Marks_guy
Support Staff

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »

The transfer process is pretty simple, but often confusing to people. First, he will fill out a transfer request with his counselor. He'll put down where he wants to go and the reason behind wanting to move (hardship requests are very rarely granted, so don't go that route. The IDOC doesn't care how far away they are from family) The transfer request is then forwarded to the warden or one of their underlings for approval. Here is where it gerts confusing to many. If it is approved at the institutional level, it is then forwarded to IDOC's transfer coordinator's office for final approval. Only after this final approval is acquired will a transfer go through. It can be a short process for some, but many are finding out transfers are not being granted.
RdRunner75

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »

Well talk to my hubby today. The 2 months he was talking about was...his councelor said it could take up to 2 months for an approval or denial. And he already put in for the transfer a week ago. Lets hope it goes through.
humbird37

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »

Just wanted to share how happy we are....my son's transfer came through two weeks ago, and he is now in receiving. He was allowed a 10 minute call to let us know. He should be at the new facility on Thursday, is my understanding. This is so good for us as it cuts our driving time from 12 hours round trip, to 2 1/2 hours round trip! It will also be better for him in the sense he will get more then one visit a month (us)  Humbird

Yesterday he helped me, today he did the same!
How long will he continue? Forever....Praise his name!
Angela
Mod Squad

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »

Just wanted to share how happy we are....my son's transfer came through two weeks ago, and he is now in receiving. He was allowed a 10 minute call to let us know. He should be at the new facility on Thursday, is my understanding. This is so good for us as it cuts our driving time from 12 hours round trip, to 2 1/2 hours round trip! It will also be better for him in the sense he will get more then one visit a month (us)  Humbird

wc6            Humbird Glad to hear your good news. "Congrats"      wc71-1
humbird37

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:29:47 AM »

Thanks Angela.....hope this is an encouragement to others who are waiting for the transfers!  Humbird

Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »

Happy for you Humbird, I know how much this will help you and your husband to be able to see your son more   

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
humbird37

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »

Thanks Mah.....it is such a relief for us, in so many ways. He has been denied the last few times he tried, so when we went to visit on Friday, he gave us the good news. Now his daughter and brother will be able to see him too.....humbird

RdRunner75

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »

wc6  That's wonderful news humbird! I am happy for you and your family!
RdRunner75

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

Humbird. I forgot to ask. How long did the approval process take for your son? I'm just trying to get a guesstimate on how long my husband's will take. His counselor says up to two months, but wondering if it really takes that long or if that is just the standard answer everyone gets, or the time frame DOC has to get it done.
humbird37

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »

Hi RdRunner75....he was told it would take 2 to 4 weeks to find out if he was approved. He was approved in 5 days! We were really surprised, but happy! Then we thought we would have to wait a while for him to be moved, but 2 days after he found out he was approved, he was moved to receiving....as far as we know he is still there. He has waited a long time for this....so I guess like everyone says, they do what they want, when they want. I hope it goes fast for you and your loved one, the waiting is hard! Thanks for writing! Humbird

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: