• March 18, 2019, 07:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: IDOC Guidelines for Visting Illinois Prisons  (Read 17120 times)

Offline jejordan2014

• One Day this will all be just a dream!!!
Re: IDOC Guidelines for Visting Illinois Prisons
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 06:35:41 AM »
I have a question about ID's I have my DL the other form can I use my FOID card??? It has a pic on it. And if so it has my EX last name on it as i got it in Nov and then got married in Jan. I have not changed my name on it bc its a lot to have to go thru and do it, and I dont want to pay them money again. Just curious. Thanks If I cant I will go get a state ID and then what if the address are different?? I have moved and didnt get a new DL just updated my addy?? Sorry its getting close (Fingers crossed) to my husband getting put in his parent prison so I can get a visit. I just want to have all my ducks in a row!!! Thank you again!!!
Always and Forever as One

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 06:50:51 AM »
Thank you! I did end up calling and Hardin does accept SS cards and I do also have a state ID besides my DL so I think I'm covered. She said it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get an extended visit approved so that's out but it am happy to get the 4 hours. I'm so excited to see him I could burst!

Have a great visit give him a big HUG, that first visit is the best anyway ...  glad it all worked out.. It always does somehow!!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 06:57:45 AM »
I have a question about ID's I have my DL the other form can I use my FOID card??? It has a pic on it. And if so it has my EX last name on it as i got it in Nov and then got married in Jan. I have not changed my name on it bc its a lot to have to go thru and do it, and I dont want to pay them money again. Just curious. Thanks If I cant I will go get a state ID and then what if the address are different?? I have moved and didnt get a new DL just updated my addy?? Sorry its getting close (Fingers crossed) to my husband getting put in his parent prison so I can get a visit. I just want to have all my ducks in a row!!! Thank you again!!!

I would suggest you have all the ID's with your current address, the address you are going to put down on the visitor form when visiting so that you don't have any problems.  2 forms of ID is what they ask for.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline kasa

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »
Tomorrow is my sons birthday, !! So we are planning to go visit him at Graham.. My question is...his wife is coming from one direction and myself from another (2.5 hr drive for both)... If I arrive there before her and go in. then she comes in does that count as 2 visits ??

Offline Sizz

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
 :wc71:

Hi kasa.
                              It would be better if you wait and meet up with her. Not only would it count as 2 visits but you would be asked to leave early when his wife shows up. If you want to visit him both separately
then you might want to plan it that you'll go until a certain time and then she can have the rest or vice versa.
                              Hope this helps. Have a great visit!

:wc71-1:

Online trauma4us

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
My husband and I live about 200 miles apart during the week and when we meet at our son's prison, we meet in the parking lot and go in together as he is only allowed one visit per day. We can leave at separate times if we want but must arrive together.

Oh and another thing - they do not allow you to sit in your car waiting so if you think there will be a wait for either of you, wait down the road or in a different parking lot.

We had this problem because I encountered snow and had to go slower then my husband.

Best wishes.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »
 I have seen them allow an inmate two separate visits in one day. I was visiting my fiance for the whole day and saw for myself an inmate have one visitor. The c/o then got a call spoke to the visitor and they left , the inmate stayed and another visitor came in and visited with him until visiting hours were over.
                      Maybe it has changed recently and I am not aware of this since I haven't been able to visit since June of 2014. Just letting you know that it may still be possible if you don't want to share your visit with your daughter-in law, kasa.
                                 Call the gatehouse just to be sure if that's what you would like to do and make sure it's still ok.
                                                                     :wc71-1:

Online trauma4us

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
I think each prison has its own rules. Lol

Offline krutsbros

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »
Yesterday I went to visit my brother at Vandalia and was told I needed a second form of identification that listed my address. I don't have any other form of ID that lists an address and am certain that many others wouldn't either. I was putting insurance ID cards on the counter, repair bills for the car, etc. Finally a lady asked me if I had a checkbook which fortunately I did. Just thought Id' pass that along as something like that (especially on a national holiday as yesterday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day) could really put someone out.

Offline kasa

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
thank you all for the replies !! not that I didn't want to go with her..lol.... we live 2 separate directions, she couldn't b there til later and I coulda been there at 9 am..lol... but it all worked out ... but they did say it would have been considered 2 visits.....

Offline Amberro

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »
Does anyone know if a birth certificate is required when brining kids? My husband is in Sheridan and I am taking our children aged 2&4 to see him this week. When I called the prison I was told by the counselor I didn't have to do anything other than say they were my kids, but a friend of mine who's brother is there at Sheridan as well said I needed birth certificates for them?! Any info would be great, I would hate to drive 2 hours and not be able for them to see their dad over something so simple. Thanks!

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »
If there is any chance they will ask, I would take it. I have never seen my loved one's prison ask for a birth certificate, but even within the same prison, different C.O.'s enforce the rules differently. You don't want to get all the way there and then be turned away.
He's home!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
Does anyone know if a birth certificate is required when brining kids? My husband is in Sheridan and I am taking our children aged 2&4 to see him this week. When I called the prison I was told by the counselor I didn't have to do anything other than say they were my kids, but a friend of mine who's brother is there at Sheridan as well said I needed birth certificates for them?! Any info would be great, I would hate to drive 2 hours and not be able for them to see their dad over something so simple. Thanks!

Take the birth certificates for the kids and all the proper ID you need for yourself.   Each prison is different on what they ask for and also read the IDOC rules on Visiting here before you go:

http://www.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/VisitationRules.aspx

Have a good visit.

Offline sherryl

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
Vienna requires two forms of identification, one which is your drivers license and the other is your social security card. they do not have to both be photo ID's. just wanted to let anyone know incase they planned on visiting vienna correctional center.