• December 10, 2016, 12:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: VANDALIA Work Camp  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
VANDALIA Work Camp
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
Vandalia Work Camp  

Vandalia Correctional Center is the parent institution for Vandalia Work Camp
Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information—please review before visiting

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General Population
 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday only; visitation takes place at the Work Camp.  Work Camp offenders are permitted to have visits at the Vandalia Correctional Center main facility visiting room 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and holidays.  

Offenders are permitted seven (7) visits per month, with no more than three (3) on weekends or holidays.  Visitors must be checked in by 5:00p.m.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
Route 51 North
 P.O. Box 500
 Vandalia, IL 62471

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#

P.O. Box 500
 Vandalia, IL 62471

Phone: (618) 283-4170

Fax: (618) 283-9147

Facility Information

Vandalia Work Camp is a minimum security adult male facility located on the grounds of Vandalia Correctional Center in Fayette County.

Inmate Programs

Academic:

·         ABE (Adult Basic Education)
·         Pre-GED
 ·         Computer Technology
 ·         Vocational School

Other:

·         Leisure Time Activity

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/VandaliaWorkCamp.aspx
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Tex999

Re: VANDALIA Work Camp
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
Good morning, I am wondering if anyone has a loved one at Vandalia work camp? Mine has an opportunity to move there for a job. But it looks like they do not have GED class there, which he has been in now.He can't take the test until March. Do you have any information on jobs they do there, time off you get for doing work, conditions and whatever information you can share with me.I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Offline smme7

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »
They do all kinds of different jobs. It just depends on what they take and what's open. Time off would also depend on if your lo has any contracts. Mine didn't get any time off but he sure was happier in a 20 man dorm rather an 88 man dorm
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline Tex999

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Am I understanding correctly that all jobs do not have a contract?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
Am I understanding correctly that all jobs do not have a contract?

I think contracts come from classes/programs, not jobs, no inmates get time off for working in IDOC.

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php?topic=29547.msg228331#msg228331
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Tex999

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 05:12:56 PM »
Does anyone know what Correctional Industry programs are? I would think that means a job.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
Does anyone know what Correctional Industry programs are? I would think that means a job.

They may teach them a trade in those programs and they get paid for it, but not sure if they qualify to earn more time off of their sentences.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=096-0877

http://www.icicatalog.illinois.gov/

Offline Tex999

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »
Thank you

Offline Tex999

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »
under the sentence credit it does say that the prison industries get a half day off for each day worked.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »
under the sentence credit it does say that the prison industries get a half day off for each day worked.

He'll have to see if any of those jobs are at Vandalia and if he qualifies, good luck to him.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 06:06:13 AM »
Vandalia Work Camp isn't even listed on the IDOC website, the page is gone for this camp and all the information, the camp may be closed?

Offline Tex999

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 06:30:05 AM »
Yes, I looked for it on IDOC site and it is not listed. From what I read on Prison Industry site the job should be eligible for time off. But they have no GED class-only Pre GED. Keeping my fingers crossed . Thank you!

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:30 AM »
Who has no GED or pre GED?

This topic is going to be closed after your response., since this camp is no longer in operation.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »
They have given my L/O the choice to go there. Don't know why it is not listed. They have pre GED there but not GED.

Offline Tex999

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 10:43:54 AM »
sorry, not sure why he was told this.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
They have given my L/O the choice to go there. Don't know why it is not listed. They have pre GED there but not GED.

If he gets his GED while inside, he would get 90 days  GT.

Offline smme7

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
This camp is in operation. My LO was just released from there. It's about a quarter of a mile (if that) from the prison.
"I want to kiss you under the stars, hold you and never let you go. When I'm with you, my soul is happy"

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 04:52:05 PM »
This camp is in operation. My LO was just released from there. It's about a quarter of a mile (if that) from the prison.

It may be a part of Vandalia, but they have nothing on the IDOC website about it anymore, even under the Vandalia page,they do not mention it.

smme7, do the guys there, work at the main prison?

Offline smme7

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 10:09:15 AM »
I know, I'm not sure why they don't mention it. They visit at the main prison unless it's the weekend.
They work in different parts, they have horses that some of the inmates tend to, they pick up trash for the entire prison, but I know guys in the main prison work in their own kitchen and then guys at the work camp work in their cafeteria

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 10:15:51 AM »
This camp used to have well over 300 inmates there, now I think it's under 100, so a select few get selected to go there to keep it going and work in the main prison and there.  For those that get sent, they probably are the lucky ones :)