Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 23, 2014, 08:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going To Be An Inmate Of Idoc Soon. What Can I Expect?  (Read 31691 times)
spoons35

« on: December 21, 2011, 07:37:30 AM »

So just a brief description about my case and pending deal. I am in court right now on 3 separate counts. 2 deliveries and 1 possession with intent. My charges are NON -PROBATIONAL. My attorney is telling me that best case is I get a 4 year sentence. He says I will only have to do 2. He says I will be sent to a minimum security prison. I already know that I have to go to a processing center before I can be taken to my prison. Who decides what prison I will be sent to? Is my lawyer right that I will only serve 2 years? Can I request to go to a place with a culinary arts program? I currently work in the culinary arts field. What happens when I am set for release? How long will I be on parole? Does everyone go on parole? What is life like in Minimum security prisons? I am not gang affiliated so I am thinking taylorville might be best for me. I have never been an inmate in IDOC. I did have felony probation about 5 years ago which I successfully completed without incident. I am looking for any and all advice as like I said I have never had to go through something like this before and I don't really know anyone who has. What items can be sent to me? How much money will I need on a monthly basis? I am not planning on setting up a telephone account as it is an unneeded expense that my friends should not have to bear. I will do all communicating through the united states postal system. Thanks in advance for all answers from any of you out there that can help me.

Merry Christmas all.
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »

So just a brief description about my case and pending deal. I am in court right now on 3 separate counts. 2 deliveries and 1 possession with intent. My charges are NON -PROBATIONAL. My attorney is telling me that best case is I get a 4 year sentence.

He says I will only have to do 2.     Yes, 2 years, minus any time you may receive off for program/schooling, IF you can get in, because of the overcrowding, it's harder to get into programs/schooling. You could earn up to 90 days additional off your time, if you qualify.

He says I will be sent to a minimum security prison.    Normally on a two year sentence you would go to a minimum, but since IDOC is overcrowded it all depends on where they want to send you and where a bed opens up first.

I already know that I have to go to a processing center before I can be taken to my prison.

Who decides what prison I will be sent to? IDOC/ Counselors

Is my lawyer right that I will only serve 2 years? Can I request to go to a place with a culinary arts program?   Yes, but not sure if they will accommodate because of the overcrowding.

I currently work in the culinary arts field.

What happens when I am set for release? How long will I be on parole? Two years parole and if you do everything you have to, maybe they will cut that in 1/2.  

Does everyone go on parole?  Yes, no getting away from that.

What is life like in Minimum security prisons? I am not gang affiliated so I am thinking taylorville might be best for me.   You can request Taylorville, don't know if you will be sent there.  

I have never been an inmate in IDOC. I did have felony probation about 5 years ago which I successfully completed without incident. I am looking for any and all advice as like I said I have never had to go through something like this before and I don't really know anyone who has.

What items can be sent to me? Books, magazines and $$$ can be added to your inmate trust account by family/friends, so that you can shop at commissary for the things you want.

How much money will I need on a monthly basis? $50 to $100 depending on how much you buy at commissary.  

I am not planning on setting up a telephone account as it is an unneeded expense that my friends should not have to bear. I will do all communicating through the united states postal system. Thanks in advance for all answers from any of you out there that can help me.

Please go to this link and it will answer more of your questions.  It  is our TEN STEPS TO UNDERSTANDING IDOC PROCEDURES:

http://www.illinoisprisontalk.org/index.php/topic,1513.0.html

Welcome to IPT, sorry you are having to enter IDOC soon, but you found the right place to answer all your questions before you go.

Mah

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:47:36 AM »

Is there a possibility that you'd be eligible for the IDOC bootcamp?  It's a few short months in lieu of a full sentence....have your attorney check into it....

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
spoons35

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 03:13:48 PM »

I am 40 years old and the cut off is 35 years old I guess.
veracity

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »

I'm sorry about your situation. You sound like a good person that made bad choices. I wish our system was different, that there was a better way to deal with mistakes. The good news is that you will be ok and adjust to it all and the time will pass more quickly than you can imagine. The mail can be ridiculously slow and there are going to be times when you'll need to talk to a loved one and times they'll need to hear your voice, too so reconsider the no phone thing. Know that you are actually pretty lucky in having time to plan for your absence and have the opportunity to learn about it all before you go. Our attorney told us an innocent man couldn't be convicted on what they had and he was taken away immediately after the verdict was read. We were all in total shock. Good luck to you.
spoons35

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »

Veracity,

I am sorry for what happened to your loved one. Our justice and jail system is quite a mess. Some radical changes need to be made or it will keep getting worse. They keep sending people to jail as an answer and they can't even fund the jails properly. In my case it is only for 2 years and I will come out alright but I will have no job, I will have to rely on a friend to have a place to stay and I will have to deal with a parole department that wants me to fail. In my line of work it will be a lot easier than most to find work but there has to be better options to help people change their lives. If I can't find work before my savings runs out do they really think I won't go back to doing what I was doing to get me in prison? The stories I have read about overcrowding and the MGT being taken away disturbs me. They are talking of closing more prisons because of money issues. How does it ever get better. I see many populations at double the intended capacity. Pretty scary. I hope you and your loved one get things straightened out. Are you not going to appeal the verdict?
Nemdf

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »

Spoons:  perhaps I am over-reacting here, but you mentioned "living on your savings" when you get out.  I think there is some risk of the state taking some of your money if they know you have it.  To pay for your "care" and all ..... Anyway, maybe someome will jump in that knows more details about this, but you might check into having your bank statements put on hold, sent to the address of someone you trust (not your IDOC address), or have them emailed to you (which, of course, you won't be able to see while in IDOC).  Just a thought.... 
spoons35

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 05:45:11 PM »

Would surely like some more clarification on this NEMDF. Anyone with some solid info on this?
lvanrs2
Support Staff

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »

IDOC will charge an inmate for their care if there is more than $2000.00 on their trust account.  However if you have a substantial amount of money that IDOC knows o, f they can and sometimes do petition the state for those funds to be turned over.  There was a case recently about an inmate who made a good amount of money working in industries over the years and IDOC petitioned to take that money.  The state did lose that case but they do try.

I would also ask your attorney if all 3 cases are going to be run together (concurrent) compared to separate (consecutive)

There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.
spoons35

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »

it is all being pled together.
mserer

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:25:50 AM »

Spoons - sorry to hear about your situation.  In regard to buying commissary items - my LO says that the one thing that has really saved his sanity and kept him out of trouble was buying a tv when he first got to his parent facility.  It is small, I think about 13 inches and you have to listen to your shows with headphones.  His facility has cable (as do most I believe) and there are also music channels to listen to which he says are "not always great but better than nothing".  It cost about $250 I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong please).  Expensive? Yes! However, if you are the type of person to watch tv it may be a worthwhile investment.  Good luck to you and hang in there!
vrijheid

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 07:49:48 PM »

Forevermah, dazzler...
have been away from this for a while but reading some of your recent posts and replies to those I just want to say THANK YOU!!!  You are a source of compassion, hope and real and safe input for those of us who are newbees to the DOC journeys..
IloveDCfrombooneco

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »

Spoons, my lo was sentenced to 4 yrs for Manufacturing/delivery of Cocaine, he served 2 minus his time in county, he was in SV receiving for almost a month and then sent to Vandalia, 7 months after that he was sent to West Side Adult Transitional Center ( work release). He spent a year there until he was recently released. His parole is 2 years, but the parole officer did tell him that could be cut down to a year as long as he follows the rules and gets in no trouble.
 As far as money on your books, I put 300.00 on his books the first time around for paper, envelopes, boxers, gym shoes ( he said IDOC issued shoes suck) toiletries and a pair of sweatpants. He had some left over for food. After that I sent 50.00 every 2 weeks. The cost will all depend on you and what you need. Hope this helps you and God Bless.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: