• March 24, 2019, 03:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Felony 3  (Read 4761 times)

Offline louise

Felony 3
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
If an inmate received two years for Felony 3 (taken off ankle bracelet) served 6mos in the County, approximately how many more months will he have to serve?  I was told the State was overgrounded and may/could allow the inmate to get out in 28 to 61 days, since it is not considered as a violent crime (just stupid).  Supposedly after 61 days the State gets there funding paid. Thank you!!!!!

dabearss

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Felony 3
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
Welcome to IPT!

He would serve 6 months.    2 year sentence @50% = 1 year, he already served six months, so he has six left.

There is no MGT/SMGT goodtime given out by IDOC right now, goodtime was suspended over 21 months ago.

Because of the overcrowding in IDOC right now, he probably would not have enough time to get into any programs and earn any other credits for school/programs, so for now I would count on the 6 months.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline louise

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:47:06 AM »
Sick step-father whom raised him (cardiac arrest) and I traveled from MS. once we got to Cook County we found out he had been transfered to Joliet. Is there any chance we could see him before we leave?  We would have come earlier but the last CA he had one (1) in the helicopter and two (2) in the elevator at the VA hospital in Jackson, MS.  He just got out October 3, 2011.  I understand rules are rules and everyone has problems and family members but I just thought I would ask.

Will he stay in Joliet or will he be transfered to another facility?  If being transfered, approximately when and where. If I'm understanding you correctly, He will not be able to sign up for GED classes. 

Will his funds be transfered from Cook County to Joliet or do we need to put something on his bank account?

Thanks for your help, Mother

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:34:20 AM »
I would suggest you sign up with the VINE notification service.  This will inform you every time he moved.

http://www.vinelink.com/index.jsp   

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initSearchForm.do?siteId=14004

While he is in R&C he wont be able to buy commissary so I would wait to put any money on his account until he is moved to his parent facility.  Most times an inmates money does follow them from the county.  However some families and inmates have said that Cook County does not automatically forward the money and a request was needed.  As Dazzler stated, IDOC is over crowded so your loved one can sign up for GED but he may not get in the class due to the long waiting lists.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline louise

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
I didn't read an answer for this one:

Sick step-father whom raised him (cardiac arrest) and I traveled from MS. once we got to Cook County we found out he had been transfered to Joliet. Is there any chance we could see him before we leave?  We would have come earlier but the last CA he had one (1) in the helicopter and two (2) in the elevator at the VA hospital in Jackson, MS.  He just got out October 3, 2011.  I understand rules are rules and everyone has problems and family members but I just thought I would ask.

dabearss

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »
Be patient.  I'm sure someone who has an answer to your question will be by shortly.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
No, you will not be able to visit. Inmates in R&C are not allowed visitors until the have been there for over 60 days. That usually only happens in the case of people waiting for bootcamp.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
I should also clarify that good time is not canceled in IDOC...only some extra good time called meritorious...all inmates in IDOC still get a day for a day good time...except for some more violent crimes and then they serve either 85 or 100% of their time.  Your husband doesn't fall in those categories.  He'll be required to serve a minimum of six months only because he has six months credit coming from Cook County Jail.

You can always call the warden and ask about a special situation involving a serious medical problem....you never know, stranger things have happened....the warden is the only one that could make a visit possible.  Doesn't hurt to try...but don't get your hopes up...you'd need absolute medical proof for sure...
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
Even though I know the difference, I got myself confused reading some previous posts so I went to the IDOC site and copied their definitions of "Good Time".  Hopefully, this will help clarify further for any other members who may also still be confused.

What is Good Time?  
There are three types of good time, however not all inmates are eligible for each type.

Statutory Good Time refers to the percentage of time an inmate must spend incarcerated. Inmates serve 50%, 75%, 85%, or 100% of their sentence.  This is determined by statute and is based on the offense that was committed.  Inmates may lose some of that good time based on their behavior while in custody.

Meritorious Good Time (MGT) and Supplemental Meritorious Good Time (SMGT) refer to the discretionary time (up to 180 days) that the director may grant to an eligible inmate based on his or her behavior while incarcerated. Please note that the award of meritorious good time is not automatic; it is at the discretion of the director.  Inmates convicted of certain offenses are not eligible for this type of good time credit.

The MGT/SMGT program was suspended in December of 2009 and terminated in January of 2010.  The program is currently under review.

Earned Good Conduct Credit refers to time earned by an inmate for participation in education, drug treatment or Illinois Correctional Industries programs. Again, not all inmates are eligible; inmates convicted of violent and Class X crimes are not eligible. Inmates earn one-half day off their sentence for each day of participation in such programs if they successfully complete the programs (Example: if an eligible inmate completes a drug treatment program that is 30-days in duration, he may be awarded 15-days off his sentence).

Offline MHerring

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:05 AM »
Ok I am a bit confused on good time or day for day credit. First of all is good time and day for day the same thing? Second if you are eligible for day to day when does the credit start coming off of your sentence? Third do you have to be incarcerated for so long before you are eligible for day to day? Fourth if eligible does day to day just automatically get applied, do u have to request it? My husband was sentenced to 2 years at 50% so he is serving 1 year for a felony 3 drug charge. So if he is serving a year and day to day applies to him does this mean he will only serve 6mos

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »
No, it means he will serve a year (2 years at 50%).  He may be eligible for credits, but possibly not with such a short sentence.