• March 18, 2019, 07:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons  (Read 87598 times)

Offline chantygirl

Re: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »
I just got back from a visit at MENARD last week.  They are still allowing sandals/flip-flops/backless shoes.  According to the CO I spoke with, they're no longer trying to ban them.  

I did however, see a lady get turned away because you could see the outline of her bra through her shirt.  The shirt had a net-type look at the shoulders.  Even though it had sleeves, it had holes, so she got turned away.  I also saw ladies wearing shorts, bermuda shorts to be exact.  The CO told me that we CAN wear shorts, as long as they're no shorter than 2 inches above the knee, and they aren't "too snug fitting."  

Offline jaxgirl

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2012, 02:29:14 AM »
Just an FYI - I called Shawnee today and they said knee legnth shorts, capri's, flip flops or sandals, one neclace, one pair of earrings and one ring are all ok. State ID and birth certificate will suffice for visiting - just thought I'd pass this along,

Had my first visit at Shawnee this weekend. Went smooth, nice staff, no waiting, full vending machines..... just would have liked to have been able to go outside and walk around with him..... but over all a good experience.

Offline krstlcmpbll

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
I will be visiting Menard for the first time very soon, any tips or suggestions on what to wear, or not to wear to be more specific. I didn't see to much about Menard in this thread. Thanks for your help

Offline hisbaby

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
Best tip is to make sure everything is covered up, nothing too tight and nothing that you can see through.  There is no reason to risk being turned away.  Most times I have worn jeans, t-shirt, or just a regular shirt and tennis shoes.  Not only do you have to wear something that they approve but you will also be sitting on hard chairs for your entire visit so why be uncomfy?

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
I will be visiting Menard for the first time very soon, any tips or suggestions on what to wear, or not to wear to be more specific. I didn't see to much about Menard in this thread. Thanks for your help

No tanktops, only one pair of earrings (BUT the last visit, I saw them make a lady remove her earrings because the hoops were too big), one ring, one watch, no body piercngs, no bracelets, no skinny jeans.  They do allow capris, skirts, and shorts.  Skirts have to be knee length (wear pantyhose), and shorts cannot be shorter than the width of two fingers above the knee.  You can wear hoodies, but, if you wear a shirt under the hoodie it cant be a tanktop.  They had an issue with someone who took the hoodie off during the visit and was wearing a tank top.  I always wear jeans and a t-shirt.  I've worn capris, just make sure they're loose fitting.  Any cleaveage is bad, and underwire is NOT your friend.  They will check to see if there is underwire in your bra, and they will make sure you're wearing underwear.  The basic rule of thumb is... If you wouldn't wear it to church or to court, don't wear it. 

Offline aml6270

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »
You never know because guards are soooooooooo extremely inconsistent!!!!! They make up their own rules.  Your better off wearing a turtle neck and might as well put a sweatshirt on over that as well.  Also don't wear any jeans that have any kind of parts that look frayed or worn out at all because they will tell you its a hole when its clearly NOT a hole at all.  Danville is horrible so I hope nobody visits there.  Put extra clothes in your car because like I said you just never ever know with them.

Offline 13ellis

• missing him....but he's doing great
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
I was at Pittsfield a week ago and I have to say - don't wear anything resembling yoga pants to that facility! Mine were actually skinny jeans in a very stretchy black fabric but they nearly turned me away. In fact I think they only let me in because I am a relative (not wife/gf) and I was there during the week when they don't have as many visitors. Had it not been for that I'm pretty sure they would have turned me away.  :wc61:
Moral of the story - don't wear stretch pants or yoga pants or anything of the sort to Pittsfield !  :wc5:

Offline nikkibaby26

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
My piece of advice- ALWAYS bring extra clothes in the car. I bring at least 2 different alfits because like some one else said very inconsistant on who allows what. Better to be safe then sorry.
“When I saw you, I was afraid to meet you... When I met you, I was afraid to kiss you... When I kissed you, I was afraid to love you... Now that I love you, I'm afraid to lose you.”

Offline pmilver

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
FYI to any visitors at East Moline:
My daughter and I visited my son at East Moline recently.  She had on a cotton blouse with flowers printed all over it.  You could not see through it.  It was however, sleeveless (a modest sleeveless blouse- could see bra straps or anything) and they told her she had to leave her cardigan sweater on.  Thank God she had one with her (guess I could have given her mine too).  Just don't want anyone to get turned away.  Unfortunately, I think a lot of what is and isn't allowed depends on which CO is there that day so best to be on the safe side.  I always take a sweater/light jacket anyway so I can sit on it if need be.  Those metal stools can get pretty uncomfortable after sitting there a couple of hours.

Also, had a card loaded with lots of money (over $40) swiped a couple of visits ago when I accidentally left it in a machine for a few minutes.  Asked the CO's if anyone had turned in a card and "no" was the answer.  Then they said,  "Gee, how surprising that someone visiting a prison would steel. "  Visitors room was pretty full and even though my name was on the card, I did not get it back.  I was a bit bummed out but made a new rule for vending card use that has worked.  I do not take the food out of the machine until AFTER I have removed my card and tucked it in my pocket.  You have to wait a few seconds because the food comes out before the card pops out but so far this has worked.

Offline lori491999

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »
I'm actually surprised they even let her in with a cardi with the sleeveless top underneath.  I've specifically asked about that (since it's most of what I wear to work) and was told without hesitation, NO.  It really stinks since they are very tasteful, but unfortunately, once they let something like that slide, it all goes downhill from there.  I understand their position, but it makes dressing for visits stressful  :wc15:

I'm kind of surprised that your card got swiped, but then again, I've never visited on the weekends, so normally most of the people in the room when I'm there are "usuals" and most of us kind of "know" each other.  I think that's really crappy that happened to you  :wc5:

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
I forgot to mention this, but, for some reason this thread reminded me.  Menard now has a fixed metal detector. If you can't make it through the metal detector, you don't visit.  I had to leave my belt in my locker because it made the metal detector go off. 

Offline BobNBecka

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
I saw a lady once that had to take her hair down because all the bobby pins set the metal detector off.  Just a heads up.

Offline Coltsgrammie

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »
No Yoga pants or capri's at Pontiac..I got away with them on my first visit because the Serg. was being nice..but was told NO MORE!! Next time I wore pants and sweatshirt..lol!!

Offline Khamp

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:58 AM »
I haven't seen much on Illinois River on here. Could someone PLEASE help?
It will be my first visit to see my husband. Would like to look nice.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »
I haven't seen much on Illinois River on here. Could someone PLEASE help?
It will be my first visit to see my husband. Would like to look nice.

Just dress like a nun the first time and you'll be fine.  Most prisons do not allow anything short sleeved and shorts have to be at least at the knees.  Read some of the other posts from members from different prisons and you'll get an idea.  Make sure you take a change of clothes in the car, just in case.  Have a great visit!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Khamp

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
Ok thank you so much. They don't have much on Illinois River on this website.  :wc1:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Ok thank you so much. They don't have much on Illinois River on this website.  :wc1:

That is because no one has shared. Maybe you will and pay it forward that is how IPT rolls  :wc1:
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Amanda.Marks

• Waiting... <3
  • He is my forever....
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
Illinois River is pretty inconsistent as well, but absolutely no sleeveless, and no cleavage... I would recommend a nice modest top and jeans... No yogas, and sometimes they get weird about wearing white, so it's better to just stick to colors to make sure nothing is see through. I wore a lot of maxi dresses with cardigans when R was there (he just moved in Feb) If you have any questions feel free to ask me... but no, there isn't much IRCC stuff on here, I think it's a less popular one for members.

The thought of being with you tomorrow, gives me the strength to go on today.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
Illinois River is pretty inconsistent as well, but absolutely no sleeveless, and no cleavage... I would recommend a nice modest top and jeans... No yogas, and sometimes they get weird about wearing white, so it's better to just stick to colors to make sure nothing is see through. I wore a lot of maxi dresses with cardigans when R was there (he just moved in Feb) If you have any questions feel free to ask me... but no, there isn't much IRCC stuff on here, I think it's a less popular one for members.

Another reason there isn't much information on here, is because people share it through PM instead of on these boards. 

PLEASE ask and respond on here, that way, the information will be for other people asking about IRCC and not stuck in private messages.  THANK YOU!!

Offline Khamp

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. When I start going I will put as much information that I can on here
for other people to read. Thank you again. :wc6: