• March 18, 2019, 07:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons  (Read 87595 times)

Offline sanders

Re: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
i have other underwear but i think its crap that i cant wear my thong its not like they can seem then when u wear jeans.... and no im not choosing my underwear over my LO...he has never even seen me in a thong i started wearing when i lost 150lbs after he got locked up

Offline sanders

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
guess im use to shawnee where they really didnt care wat u wore expected u couldnt wear tank tops which is wear he has been since he got locked up

Offline lurios2

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
Hill hasn't checked my undies yet. I used to wear thongs a lot before. But now that no one is here to see them I swear comfy cotton undies  :wc1: I don't tell him that though...I think he'd like to think I wear lacy stuff all the time, lol.
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline Mjdrg

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
Hill always checks me for undies when I go in. Although I do wear thongs, and they have never had a problem with the kind, so long as you have them on. I have seen them turn someone away for not wearing any.

Offline sanders

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:13 AM »
only time i got chekced for my undies was when my lo was at galsburg on his writ for court

Offline MizzTamikaB

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
I really haven't seen anything posted about Western IL. I am planning my first visit next week as after 8 months his list was finally approved, but I'm wondering if there is anyone here that can twll me how they are in regards to underwire bras. I am a size 34H and find bras in that size without underwire is nearly impossible, so just want to know if anyone has had issues. Also are you allowed to wear Jewelry, a watch/bracelet. I have called about the bras but never really get a straight answer, thanks for your help.

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2011, 07:54:14 AM »
I have worn underwire bra, wedding rings, earrings to Western with no problem.

Offline MizzTamikaB

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »
Thank you Nemdf!! :-)

Offline Ira

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Any other specifics about Western? Hoodies? Zippers? Skirts at all? Skinny jeans?

Offline chocolatediva27

• Mrs.Reeves
  • Bobbo is mine and I'm his forever!!!!
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »
Do they allow capris,knee length shorts,sandals,flip flops and dresses at western
6 months til my bobbo is home with only me,I love my   baby so much, I can't wait til he's home!!!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »
Skip the shorts, capris are okay...sandals are okay but I'd skip the flip flops. I believe dresses are fine at all the prisons if the hems are at or below the knees....dress like a nun and you'll have no problems...

Sexy is not something they approve of...they don't want men getting stimulated....LOL
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline LSlater0227

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
I went to Vandalia for a visit on Sunday and flip flops are o.k.  Myself and several other women that were there had them on.  I wore a fitted short sleeve shirt and jeans with no problem.

L.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »
Just remember that what one prison allows another may not, if you choose to wear flip flops, be sure to have another pair of shoes in the car just in case.  Vandalia may allow them, but I know other prisons don't!

Also, there are some prisons that will not allow anything short sleeved, like I said, have an alternate in the car!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline destinswife

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
I always pay attention to what other visitors are wearing when I visit my hubby at Shawnee. I have always wondered about flip flops because I am a flip flop wearing fool in the warm weather. You could say I have a flip flop fetish I am constantly buying new ones lol. I did see several women wearing them and I also saw a women wearing a dress that came right above the knee. I was worried about wearing my capris on my last visit but they had no problems with them.

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
I just straight up asked the CO one day on may way out (i think it was my first ever visit) about flip flops and she said they're fine. Been wearing them ever since up until it was too cold. Mind you, this is at Illinois River. Capris are also ok, got away with a low cut top a few times. Seen women wear skin tight tshirts and jeans and never heard or seen any problems. Like everyone else has said, depends on the prison. If in total doubt, just call them up and ask.

Offline Ira

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
Yesterday was my first visit to Western. They asked me to stick my underpants above the jeans waist line to show that I have them on (weird). Then I was surprised that they are more relaxed on what is allowed to wear than a minimum security Taylorville was. First of all, you can have your jacket or coat on (that's probably because you have to walk outside to get to the visiting room), just nothing inside the pockets I guess. They allow hoodies, zippers, flip flops.... And I haven't seen a poster about dress code anywhere, when at Taylorville they had them all over the place.

Offline LadyPooh3

Bermuda shorts
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Hey. I was wondering if bermuda shorts were allowed. I was thinking about going to see my man but didn't want to get turned around. My man is in Robinson.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Bermuda shorts
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
Hey. I was wondering if bermuda shorts were allowed. I was thinking about going to see my man but didn't want to get turned around. My man is in Robinson.

Your best bet is to call the visiting room before you go andask them .. Some shorts are not allowed in any prison and short sleeve shirts are  not allowed either.

Always take an extra pair of slacks and an extra shirt just in case you are ever turned away on a visit, so you have something to change into and try again.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »
I am able to wear sleeveless tops at Dixon, and I have seen women in long shorts there, as well.  I am always amazed by some of the cleavage I see on some of the visitors.  The visiting room is so cold, that I usually wear a jacket or sweater on top of my shirt.  The only thing I was not allowed to wear was a jean jacket - I think it is because they are made with french seams, which are bulky and drugs might be able to be smuggled in that way.

Offline veracity

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
We can't wear sleeveless tops at Sheridan. They have a handwritten sign posted on the door that says no spandex and shorts/ skirts can't be shorter than 2 inches above the knee.