• March 18, 2019, 07:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons  (Read 87600 times)

Offline Pamalynn

Re: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
Jacksonville   Knee length shorts or skirts OK - No sleeveless or low cut tops. Tight clothing is not supposed to be permitted, but I've seen girls whose pants looked like they were painted on allowed in. I've also seen people forced to change clothes that weren't half as tight. It depends on who's working. Clothing with holes are not allowed. Women must wear bras & panties. No sheer clothing. Sandals are ok. I have been wearing capris, casual tops & sandals. They almost always have A/C on & it does get pretty cool in there.
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline lovingmy929

• We are all waiting with love
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 07:38:23 AM »
Good day all for our Menard women as of june 1, 2011 dresses are not allowed to be worn. No matter what the length is they are not to be worn so please bring extra clothing, call or just not wear them. Also tank tops, or shorts with no sleeves. How dare they continue to tell us how to dress:(

Offline lurios2

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »
After my first visit at Hill I noticed sandals are ok but leggings are not, no matter how long the shirt/dress that's over it is (mine was to my knee!). Apparently super tight thin jeans are ok though :wc13: Good thing I brought like 3 changes of clothes; there was no way they were gonna turn me down!
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline SisterLove

• He is my life.
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
lurious you are so right, I dealt with the officer at hill for four years and I was always confused because some officer would let you in and other ones would not. I was allowed to wear dresses and skirt, they would be on me about my shirts because of me being top heavy. I would recommend just jeans or capris and a nice shirt untl you get use to what they allow because every facility is different.
He is my Life, My Greatest Gift from god He is my husband.

Offline mandyriguez

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
i had the warden of cook county tell me....if you wouldnt wear it to church dont wear it here....but times have changed so much. Honestly have you seen what some people wear to church....wow

Offline Ira

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
Cook County did not have any problems with me wearing mini-skirts  :wc1:

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
I visited my B every week from Jan-March when he was still at Cook County and walked in there wearing leggings and low cut tops and no one said a word. But IDOC, that's a whole different world!

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
Visits at Cook County are also behind glass which would make it a bit harder to smuggle something in I would think.  (Not to say it's still not being done)

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »
2 layers of plexi glass to be exact...in a way I'm so glad he's in prison, at least I get to touch him and for longer than 30 mins...however the IDOC dress code threw me at first...things I never thought about that weren't allowed...but I guess, like with everything, you live and learn.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »
 :wc105:
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline BoosMom

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
At Mah's request, I'm posting this here as well as on the Hill Chat Board.  There are so many reasons we don't get to see our loved ones as much as we'd like, it's extra sad to miss out because of something preventable like wearing the wrong clothes.  

So here we go!  One more warning about clothes.  The officers at Hill seem to be getting more and more strict.  I saw one woman turned away a couple of weeks ago for reasons I couldn't fathom.  She was wearing some kind of loose, low cut, vaguely transparent top over fairly tight jeans.  But underneath that top she had on a regular tee-shirt.  She was covered from neck to ankles and they wouldn't let her in!
She went away and I saw her later in the Visitors' room wearing the same tee shirt, minus the top, and maybe different jeans??? Hard to tell.
I would say to be very careful about not wearing anything too tight, too low cut, or too short-sleeved.  And make sure there's no gap at your waist, and no tears/holes anywhere.  Sounds obsessive, but I haven't visited once in the past year without watching other people get turned away.  One couple put money on their vending machine card before being told the man's ripped jeans weren't suitable.  They had no more cash left for buying new clothes. Only the woman and one of their children could go in.  Such a waste!
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.

Offline piirate

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
This is probably a super dumb questions.

Will they have a problem with tattoos? If I wear capris you see tattoos on my legs/ankles.

Offline kp18437

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
I have 9 tattoos, both ankles and one wrist were visible the last time I went, I didn't have any problems.  In fact one c/o liked the one on my ankle.  I've visited at Vienna and at Tamms.  No problem either place.

Offline piirate

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »
Okay good I just wanted to make sure. I've only gone during a time when it was jeans and hoodie time. lol. THANK YOU!

Offline krichardson23

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
Just was at Hill yesterday and they turned away a girl for having "jeggings" on. I thought they looked like jeans, but apparently not.

Offline piirate

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
Am I missing the reason behind no for leggings.. I don't wear them.. but when i was at robinson I saw someone wearing them and she was in the visiting room and all that.

Offline Puzzled

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »
Pirate I think it's different facilities and different c/o's combined that make the rules as to what's okay and what isn't.  It's always best to have spare clothes on hand that covers everything just incase.  Maybe vesting in the cost of a nun costume with the way some of the c/o's react to visitors and nit pick.   :wc15: Actually I apologize because it's really not funny when someone comes all the way down to see a LO and is turned away.  It's best to pick up maybe a second hand Sunday old lady dress code outfit to have on hand.  The LO might not be impressed but I doubt they'd care what your wearing as long as you make it in.
“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.”

Offline piirate

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
lol, that's why I ask so many questions. I'm not making a little drive or even a two hour long drive. I have to make a vacation out of it when I go. lol. I want to make sure of things. You never know how they will react. That's why I asked about the tattoos. I keep myself pretty covered up so that shouldn't be an issue. I feel bad for those of you who have gotten turned away. =[

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
 :wc105:  What to wear to individual prisons.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Ira

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
Ok, me and one other girl went to visit our L/Os at Taylorville on Saturday. We were asked to change our t'shirts because the sleeves were too short (WHF???) and (quote) "If we lift our arms, our underarms will be visible". Fortunately both of us had something to change into, and the CO let us in. When we got in, we saw 2 women wearing shorts above the knee, one wearing leggins and one - a tank top and a sweater just hanging of her shoulders. I guess you can imagine how p**ssed we were!!!!  :wc4: :wc4: