• March 18, 2019, 07:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons  (Read 87599 times)

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
Re: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2014, 05:26:40 PM »
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. When I start going I will put as much information that I can on here
for other people to read. Thank you again. :wc6:

Thank you Khamp! that's what we all depend on here, is for others with personal experience to share with the rest of us.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
Thanks Khamp, we appreciate that, this is how IPT was set up way back when we started the site, for people to pay it forward and share what they know and we like FACTS, that is something else we try to give here. If we don't know we don't guess or post maybes.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Online trauma4us

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
Taylorville - we visit seven times/month, weekdays and weekends:

Vending:  vending cards available in waiting room (and waiting is sometimes up to 45 minutes before you are even called back to shakedown).  Up to $99 on card.  $5 to buy the card and you then have $3 on the card.

Dress code:  I've seen sleeveless shirts turned away, any Tshirt (even on children) that are objectionable, promote beer, drugs, sex and/or gang activity (ESPECIALLY GANG ACTIVITY).  No see thru blouses, if you can see your bra, it won't be allowed.  No tight or low cut blouses - if they can see even a hint of cleavage, you will be going to the car.  No low-cut jeans.  If you get a warning, you will get only one per the CO at the check in desk then you get banned for an indeterminate time if you violate the rules a second time.

Visiting room:  quite cool I thought.  If you wear a cardigan you must keep it on.  Sometimes you are assigned a seat sometimes you can sit wherever.  Vending machines often have fresh salad and veggies and fruit in cups.  Pretty good assortment.

Hope this helps...

Offline Khamp

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2014, 06:44:10 AM »
Hello I would like to just give an updated in IRCC visiting. It is not a bad prison for visiting your l/o. The guards are very nice so far.

I have went to visit 3 times so far.

You can not wear tank tops. The shirt sleeves have to cover the top of your arms. If it shows your arms pits at all you have to have something to put over it or change it.

No leggings, no jeans with holes or frays.

I don't wear earrings but I have seen some women wearing them. They have been the small earrings no big long ones.

My visits have been at least 4 hour long.  You get 6 visits a month.

Out of the 3 one was 4 hours, one was 4 hours and 45 minutes and the last one was 4 hours and 30 minutes.

The vending machines are expensive but at least your l/o can eat. The sandwich machine is $4.75. Pop machines are $1.85. And The coffee machine is $1.25. It is a little more if you get a lot of extras in your coffee.

The inmates are only getting two meals a day. My husband is still in holding so hopefully he will go to gen pop soon.

The inmates are on 21/3 when he gets moved.

I hope this helps some. If you would like to know something else please ask me on here so I can get you the answer and every one will know.

I would like to get more information on here about IRCC as I find out.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »
Thanks for that update on visiting IRCC Khamp. I'm glad you got to see your l/o and enjoy your visits.

Offline ccmitch2727

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
What about yoga capri pants are they allowed

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »

The yoga pants maybe in question.  Our advice for the first visit, is dress like a nun, always take an extra set of clothes in the car just in case and have a nice visit!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »

I don't know which prison you visit, but, I can say without a doubt that Yoga pants are a definite no-no at Menards.

Online trauma4us

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
Also, although everyone advises to bring extra clothes at least at Taylorville if they give you an infraction for clothing, you only get the one warning, the next time you don't get in and your visits are suspended.

I personally saw this happen to two people a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
          At Graham, they do not allow you to change. You are just denied the visit. They don't let you wear any jewelry anymore either except a wedding/engagement ring. Not even a watch.

:wc71-1:

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
The rules seem to vary by who is doing your shakedown. I know it's not sexy, but I have always worn jeans & t-shirts & jeans.

I've seen sweatpants turned away & allowed at the same facility. V-necks are never allowed, even if no cleavage shows.

Even little kids are turned away in tank tops & zhorts above the knees.
He's home!

Offline ghostlyy

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »
I'm going to Vandalia and wondering what kind of skirts are allowed? If they're floor length, is that acceptable?
I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest,
And even though you wont be gone long, it doesnt make it hurt any less.

Offline StayinTrue2Him

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
I'm going to Vandalia and wondering what kind of skirts are allowed? If they're floor length, is that acceptable?
Yes..As long as the skirts are down to the knee they're accepted...I've worn long skirts/dresses as well as knee length to Stateville with no problems. Hope you have a great visit! :wc50:
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Online trauma4us

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
At least at Taylorville, I have seen women turned away with long skirts that have a slit up the side even though I thought it was very modest, it wasn't allowed.

I wear capris, jeans, t-shirt, cardigan, sandals, tennis shoes and thats about all I've tried.  I haven't worn a skirt or dress in 35+ years - lol.

Have a great visit.

Offline StayinTrue2Him

« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
Excellent point,trauma4us...A skirt even though long,cannot have a slit up the side at the 'Ville either. I don't wear skirts or dresses out here much,but I just like to be dressed up when I go visit my fiance. It makes him feel good and puts a big smile on his face... :wc2:
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Offline jaf

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
Yes..As long as the skirts are down to the knee they're accepted...I've worn long skirts/dresses as well as knee length to Stateville with no problems. Hope you have a great visit! :wc50:

And make sure they're not at all see through, or have slits that go higher than your knees.

oops. . I should have read the rest of the posts before I jumped in..  Oh well - everyone wants to be helpful.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »

And make sure they're not at all see through, or have slits that go higher than your knees.

oops. . I should have read the rest of the posts before I jumped in..  Oh well - everyone wants to be helpful.

And be sure you have an extra change of clothes, just in case you for whatever reason are denied with what you have on. :)

Offline cjm090

« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2015, 12:17:15 AM »
I visited Vandalia many times and was told no slits at all in skirts. Must be longer than knee length when sitting down. All depends on who searches you. I always take a change of clothes just in case.

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2015, 08:14:16 AM »
I have a plain white t-shirt that I wear under everything just to be on the safe side, I realize I look like my dear mother (may she rest in peace), but I'm always safer than sorry. I have worn long shorts in there (I'm not a dress or skirt person), but before I wear anything new I do my mirror dance, I sit down, stand up, bend over and as long as nothing ever goes above my knees, I wear it. I do keep a change of clothes in the car just in case as well.

Our daughter however, is much less conservative when she dresses to visit her dad. She swears she only has 2 pairs of jeans that fit (fit is a relative term, it means something different at 40-something than it does at 20-something). They let her in to visit wearing them (tight with holes in them, even above the knee and closer to her belly button than her knees), but I make sure she at least has her scrubs from work in the car in case they turn her away. I am certain that one day, someone will turn her away in her jeans.
He's home!

Offline Cfrisby92

« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
Hello I've got a few questions about Illinois river, what should I put  on my 1 year old son?