• March 18, 2019, 07:22:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons  (Read 87597 times)

Offline babychks

Hello,

This has probably been asked before but any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been to visit vandalia several times now but the weather has always been kinda chilly. I've worn pants or knee length skirts. I'm wondering now tho how strict they are on summer dresses or sandals. I always take extra clothes, just in case, but it would be nice to show up looking extra cute for my bf  :wc59:

I do plan on calling the prison to ask, but sometimes what they say and what they actually do, or accept, are completely different. Any bad experiences with certain outfits?

Thanks!  :wc1:

Offline seaturtle

• Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.
  • Rest in the arms of the Dragon.
Re: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
With summer on the way (well it was yesterday!) you may want to think first before you put on those "daisy dukes" with a spaghetti strap tank and slip on your flip flops.  Most Illinois Prisons do not allow sandals/flip flops, shirts showing your shoulders and short skirts/shorts.  Better to be safe than sorry and be turned away.  When visiting you should try to dress as if you were going to church, or grandma's birthday party.  Keep it modest while staying cool.  It is best to call first and ask what is acceptable.  It is also a good idea to bring a completely different outfit with as a just in case.

If you have been visiting in the summer and know what is acceptable please share it here.  Be sure to state which facility it is that you have visited and what you have worn and have seen accepted.  

I have visited Sheridan: absolutely no tank tops, no shorts and no bare midriff.  Flip flops and sandals are accepted along with Capri pants.  The visiting room is air conditioned and sometimes is actually a little chilly, I always bring a zippered sweatshirt to throw on if I get cold.
Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.  <3

Offline blah2u

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
I have visited Southwestern and shorts are allowed (but not daisy dukes), flip flops are ok too.  Don't know about the tank tops though, but I can't seem them being acceptable.  There is A/C in the visiting room as well and it can get chilly.  

Offline Ira

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
Taylorville: shorts and skirts must be knee high, t-shirts must have "actual" sleeves (not sure what exactly they mean by that, going to ask next time I visit), if you vear a v-neck, you must have a tank top under it. That's pretty much what I know so far.

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
Taylorville: shorts and skirts must be knee high, t-shirts must have "actual" sleeves (not sure what exactly they mean by that, going to ask next time I visit), if you vear a v-neck, you must have a tank top under it. That's pretty much what I know so far.

T-shirts with "actual" sleeves means no cut-off sleeves.  The actual top of the shoulder needs to be covered.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »

Pittsfield Work Camp is the same as far as no sleeveless shirts and short shorts/skirts. I was told so far only by one CO there are NO sandals or shoes allowed that show the top of the foot or the toes. Yet, I haven't seen this CO back there ever since she told me that so i started wearing flip flips again and no one has said anything to me about it. I have seen others wearing flips flops as well and they haven't been told not to. I was told they ARE supposed to turn away people wearing sandals but they don't (except for the one CO several months ago). I haven't had a problem with v-necks as long as nothing is showing. You should ask if cap sleeves are part of that sleeveless genre. Some caps sleeps are so short they barely cover the shoulders and many times the armpits show when you wear them. This was the only type of shirt they had a question about on me. I was let in to visit anyway "as long as you don't plan on waving your arms around over head, you're good) but many other prisons are as lax as the work camp.

Offline LovinDB

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
Pinckneyville : I have worn flip flops and capris before no tank tops or see through shirts.. When i used to go there i would always make sure not to wear a v neck shirt or anything that you can see any part or your boobs bc they will make you go change your shirt, or not let you in. I would always wear a zip up because it would get chilly.. Hope this helps..

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »
Some are lax and some are not.  Bring an extra set of everything just to be safe.  In Sheridan I had been visiting for about 5 months and then was told that I could not wear hoop earrings.  Believe me they are tiny little hoops, you can barely see them.  But this CO decided that day that we couldn't wear them.  I go the same day every week, so it is always the same CO.  She told me to take the earrings off for three weeks in a row (I kept forgetting as I never take them out).  She hasn't said anything about them since.  And last week I wore my hair in a pony tail and didn't realize I still had them in till I was already in the visiting room.

Go figure.....IDOC    :wc13:

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »
Just visited Illinois River CC and the CO said yes to flip flops...no tanks though...shirts gotta have sleeves...i wear capri's so i didn't ask about shorts.

Offline SisterLove

• He is my life.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »
Dixon C C allows tank tops most of the time flips flops are good shorts and skirts as long as they come to the knee.
He is my Life, My Greatest Gift from god He is my husband.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
Sister: tanks at Dixon??? you don't say...though when i was at IRCC it got reallllyyyy cold in that room so i don't think it would make any sense to wear a tank in the first place. I might even bring a hoodie next time. Are those allowed anyone know???

Offline bmonska

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
A sweater/hoodie is usually allowed in general across the board but they will search it just like they search you. i would just wear it in so it's searched the same time you are. If they have you take it off, no biggie.

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
I am The Hoodie Queen.  LOL  I wear them all of the time, usually without a t-shirt under.  The first few times I was asked to take it off...then they realized it was the only shirt I had on!!  No, I didn't take it off I just explained that there was nothing underneath.  They feel the hood and the pockets and I am good.  There have been times I have brought one with when it is warmer out side, I just carry it in and lay it on the table for shake down.  I have had no problems at all with wearing hoodies at Sheridan.  I just make sure that what ever may be on the front of it can no way be thought of as gang related.  I train dogs for a living so most have dogs on them.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
Thanks ladies! Now i'll know for next time...a hoodie and flip flops, lol!

Offline Ira

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
Hoodies are a no-no at Taylorville. No zippers either. I guess they allow buttoned sweaters, but I'm not sure if they will let to take it off or even unbutton... Got to ask.

Offline SisterLove

• He is my life.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
the Ac at  Dixon is on sometimes sometimes it not so A tank is good when its hot as heck, we cant wear any jackets in the visiting room and you can wear a hoodie as long as goes over you head, that's the only way you can wear it. I dont have a lot of hoodies, But I have alot of tank and the other facility he was didnt not allow them at all. They are a little more relaxed at Dixon with their clothes than Hill C C  was so I dont stress out as much trying to get an outfit together for my visit. I always take extra clothes with me no matter what to be safe because sometimes each officer is a little different.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
Bringing this topic back up, hoping more will share.  If the prison you visit is not listed, please add yours and share with us he dresscode! 

Thank You!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Mcaballero

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
Just and FYI: Dixon doesn't allow zippers! They made me leave &nd buy a new sweater cuz I had a zipper on...they said this a rule for all Prisons so No matter where your going I wouldn't reccomend wearing one!

-Meli XOXO

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »
Big Muddy River  I have seen ladies wear capri's and flip flops.  I have brought in a hoodie with a zipper and have never had a problem with it.  I was told once that I had to change my top because it was too low cut. It really wasn't and I wore that same top on a previous visit with no problem.  The guy in front used the "three fingers below the collar bone rule".  I dress rather conservatively and try to avoid anything questionable.

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
I would call the prison ur LO is in but that still is no guarantee that another person might think different when u get there though. But from what I have read here and experienced you do at all prisons have to have a bra & underwear on...as stated above by TSS, my daughter or I have worn zippered hooded outerwear. I wear slip on crocs. My son is also at Big Muddy.

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
Jacksonville   Knee length shorts or skirts OK - No sleeveless or low cut tops. Tight clothing is not supposed to be permitted, but I've seen girls whose pants looked like they were painted on allowed in. I've also seen people forced to change clothes that weren't half as tight. It depends on who's working. Clothing with holes are not allowed. Women must wear bras & panties. No sheer clothing. Sandals are ok. I have been wearing capris, casual tops & sandals. They almost always have A/C on & it does get pretty cool in there.
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline lovingmy929

• We are all waiting with love
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 07:38:23 AM »
Good day all for our Menard women as of june 1, 2011 dresses are not allowed to be worn. No matter what the length is they are not to be worn so please bring extra clothing, call or just not wear them. Also tank tops, or shorts with no sleeves. How dare they continue to tell us how to dress:(

Offline lurios2

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »
After my first visit at Hill I noticed sandals are ok but leggings are not, no matter how long the shirt/dress that's over it is (mine was to my knee!). Apparently super tight thin jeans are ok though :wc13: Good thing I brought like 3 changes of clothes; there was no way they were gonna turn me down!
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline SisterLove

• He is my life.
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
lurious you are so right, I dealt with the officer at hill for four years and I was always confused because some officer would let you in and other ones would not. I was allowed to wear dresses and skirt, they would be on me about my shirts because of me being top heavy. I would recommend just jeans or capris and a nice shirt untl you get use to what they allow because every facility is different.

Offline mandyriguez

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
i had the warden of cook county tell me....if you wouldnt wear it to church dont wear it here....but times have changed so much. Honestly have you seen what some people wear to church....wow

Offline Ira

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
Cook County did not have any problems with me wearing mini-skirts  :wc1:

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
I visited my B every week from Jan-March when he was still at Cook County and walked in there wearing leggings and low cut tops and no one said a word. But IDOC, that's a whole different world!

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
Visits at Cook County are also behind glass which would make it a bit harder to smuggle something in I would think.  (Not to say it's still not being done)

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »
2 layers of plexi glass to be exact...in a way I'm so glad he's in prison, at least I get to touch him and for longer than 30 mins...however the IDOC dress code threw me at first...things I never thought about that weren't allowed...but I guess, like with everything, you live and learn.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »
 :wc105:
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline BoosMom

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
At Mah's request, I'm posting this here as well as on the Hill Chat Board.  There are so many reasons we don't get to see our loved ones as much as we'd like, it's extra sad to miss out because of something preventable like wearing the wrong clothes.  

So here we go!  One more warning about clothes.  The officers at Hill seem to be getting more and more strict.  I saw one woman turned away a couple of weeks ago for reasons I couldn't fathom.  She was wearing some kind of loose, low cut, vaguely transparent top over fairly tight jeans.  But underneath that top she had on a regular tee-shirt.  She was covered from neck to ankles and they wouldn't let her in!
She went away and I saw her later in the Visitors' room wearing the same tee shirt, minus the top, and maybe different jeans??? Hard to tell.
I would say to be very careful about not wearing anything too tight, too low cut, or too short-sleeved.  And make sure there's no gap at your waist, and no tears/holes anywhere.  Sounds obsessive, but I haven't visited once in the past year without watching other people get turned away.  One couple put money on their vending machine card before being told the man's ripped jeans weren't suitable.  They had no more cash left for buying new clothes. Only the woman and one of their children could go in.  Such a waste!
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.

Offline piirate

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
This is probably a super dumb questions.

Will they have a problem with tattoos? If I wear capris you see tattoos on my legs/ankles.

Offline kp18437

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
I have 9 tattoos, both ankles and one wrist were visible the last time I went, I didn't have any problems.  In fact one c/o liked the one on my ankle.  I've visited at Vienna and at Tamms.  No problem either place.

Offline piirate

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »
Okay good I just wanted to make sure. I've only gone during a time when it was jeans and hoodie time. lol. THANK YOU!

Offline krichardson23

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
Just was at Hill yesterday and they turned away a girl for having "jeggings" on. I thought they looked like jeans, but apparently not.

Offline piirate

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
Am I missing the reason behind no for leggings.. I don't wear them.. but when i was at robinson I saw someone wearing them and she was in the visiting room and all that.

Offline Puzzled

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »
Pirate I think it's different facilities and different c/o's combined that make the rules as to what's okay and what isn't.  It's always best to have spare clothes on hand that covers everything just incase.  Maybe vesting in the cost of a nun costume with the way some of the c/o's react to visitors and nit pick.   :wc15: Actually I apologize because it's really not funny when someone comes all the way down to see a LO and is turned away.  It's best to pick up maybe a second hand Sunday old lady dress code outfit to have on hand.  The LO might not be impressed but I doubt they'd care what your wearing as long as you make it in.
“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength.”

Offline piirate

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
lol, that's why I ask so many questions. I'm not making a little drive or even a two hour long drive. I have to make a vacation out of it when I go. lol. I want to make sure of things. You never know how they will react. That's why I asked about the tattoos. I keep myself pretty covered up so that shouldn't be an issue. I feel bad for those of you who have gotten turned away. =[

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
 :wc105:  What to wear to individual prisons.

Offline Ira

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
Ok, me and one other girl went to visit our L/Os at Taylorville on Saturday. We were asked to change our t'shirts because the sleeves were too short (WHF???) and (quote) "If we lift our arms, our underarms will be visible". Fortunately both of us had something to change into, and the CO let us in. When we got in, we saw 2 women wearing shorts above the knee, one wearing leggins and one - a tank top and a sweater just hanging of her shoulders. I guess you can imagine how p**ssed we were!!!!  :wc4: :wc4:

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
It seems like the co's are given a lot of room for their own interpretation on what is appropriate. I've seen a women in leggings have to change, but another who's jeans were sooooo tight, let in. I saw a co walk in from the parking lot & tell the co behind the desk that a woman was coming in with skin tight clothes & too short shorts. When I saw her come in she looked fine to me. Her shorts were just above the knee and her top was not baggy, but by no means skin-tight.  :wc24:
You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 05:48:23 AM »
 :wc105:

Offline tabbylover

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 12:25:33 AM »
Shawnee Visits:  wore shorts no problem, the vending machines take singles and change was told there refilled on Wednesdays. no long wait to get in.  Nice and cool visiting room with ceiling fans, and a pretty garden to look at and a humming  bird feeder on the window.   The officers there were extremely nice and helpful.  Best facility I have visited so far and I have been to a few.

Offline NeddieB

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
I recently went to visit at Southwestern Correctional Facility and they are going to start a new (possibly just enforcing an old) rule of allowing only one ring being worn into the visiting area.  I have visited there many times now and it was never mentioned about only one ring.  The guard said this is a new rule and I would only be allowed to wear in my wedding rings.  Thought I would pass this along since it does not seem it was a rule that applied in the past (at least not at Southwestern, not sure about other facilities).

Offline piirate

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
So, I got a letter from my boyfriend saying that he doesn't think Danville allows you to wear thongs. Is this true?

Offline Ira

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2011, 09:01:06 PM »
How the hell are they going to check on that? They don't do strip search on visitors, and they can't really feel it through clothes (unlike bras). But  that's an interesting question....

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2011, 09:17:02 PM »
Yes, interesting Indeed.  I would love to know the answer.....and how it will be enforced.  I got patted down and had to shake out my bra, but they never patted my butt.  LOL :wc15:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
They pull the back of your pants out to see if you are wearing underwear, they would see if it was a thong or not, they check for underwear at many prisons.

Offline Ira

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
Oh wow  :wc26:

Offline piirate

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
Guess I better not wear a thong then. haha.

Offline sanders

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »
Ok this might sound stupid but my LO called my yesterday bc he just got moved last wk to taylorville and he was telling me that i wont be able to wear my thongs when i go visit him??? Is this true to anyone who has LO at taylorville? im not going to buy new underwear to go see him LOL

Offline Angela

• Mod Squad
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »
I have herd of different facilities not allowing Thong undies. Not sure if Taylorville does or not.Sorry.... I do believe that there is a link on here that covers this Topic (do a search up top in the search box).Hope you get the answer you are looking for.If not I would go some where like Walmart and buy a cheap pair so that I you would be able to get in when you do go to see him. Sorry I couldn't of been more help to you. Have a Blesses Day.Angela    :wc71:
P.S. Maybe you can call Taylorville and ask?

Offline Ira

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
No, they do not check your underwear. I know this for a fact, because I go there every 3 weeks, and just been there on Saturday.
Any other questions about clothes - feel free to ask me

Offline Pamalynn

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
They pull the back of your pants out to see if you are wearing underwear, they would see if it was a thong or not, they check for underwear at many prisons.

Oh my.....I'm glad they've never done that to me. I guess based on my age & size they probably figure I'm granny panties  :wc15:

Offline hisbaby

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »
I have been going to Danville since March and NEVER have they checked or asked me about my underwear.  I normally go 3 times a month.   :mummy:

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
Ok this might sound stupid but my LO called my yesterday bc he just got moved last wk to taylorville and he was telling me that i wont be able to wear my thongs when i go visit him??? Is this true to anyone who has LO at taylorville? im not going to buy new underwear to go see him

So you choose your thongs over your LO?  Seriously, you wouldn't buy new undies if that's what it took to see your LO???   :wc13:

Offline Ira

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
Ok this might sound stupid but my LO called my yesterday bc he just got moved last wk to taylorville and he was telling me that i wont be able to wear my thongs when i go visit him??? Is this true to anyone who has LO at taylorville? im not going to buy new underwear to go see him

So you choose your thongs over your LO?  Seriously, you wouldn't buy new undies if that's what it took to see your LO???   :wc13:

that's a good question too..

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
I have been going to Danville since March and NEVER have they checked or asked me about my underwear.  I normally go 3 times a month.   :mummy:

It depends on the CO who is checking, too. I've only had to do that one time in fifteen visits at BMR.  I had to pull up the band of the back of my underwear just enough for her to see it.  Not a big deal really.

Offline piirate

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
They didn't actually check for a thong but I can tell how she was searching me that she was feeling for it.. if that makes sense.

Offline BettyBlue

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »
 :wc13:
First time in almost 4 years visiting, I was asked about the type of underware I had on, just this last weekend. I was at J-ville, but have been at Robinson and BMR. Yes I wear granny panties too....... :wc15:

Offline sanders

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
i have other underwear but i think its crap that i cant wear my thong its not like they can seem then when u wear jeans.... and no im not choosing my underwear over my LO...he has never even seen me in a thong i started wearing when i lost 150lbs after he got locked up

Offline sanders

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
guess im use to shawnee where they really didnt care wat u wore expected u couldnt wear tank tops which is wear he has been since he got locked up

Offline lurios2

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
Hill hasn't checked my undies yet. I used to wear thongs a lot before. But now that no one is here to see them I swear comfy cotton undies  :wc1: I don't tell him that though...I think he'd like to think I wear lacy stuff all the time, lol.
~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~

Offline Mjdrg

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
Hill always checks me for undies when I go in. Although I do wear thongs, and they have never had a problem with the kind, so long as you have them on. I have seen them turn someone away for not wearing any.

Offline sanders

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:13 AM »
only time i got chekced for my undies was when my lo was at galsburg on his writ for court

Offline MizzTamikaB

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2011, 02:49:44 PM »
I really haven't seen anything posted about Western IL. I am planning my first visit next week as after 8 months his list was finally approved, but I'm wondering if there is anyone here that can twll me how they are in regards to underwire bras. I am a size 34H and find bras in that size without underwire is nearly impossible, so just want to know if anyone has had issues. Also are you allowed to wear Jewelry, a watch/bracelet. I have called about the bras but never really get a straight answer, thanks for your help.

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2011, 07:54:14 AM »
I have worn underwire bra, wedding rings, earrings to Western with no problem.

Offline MizzTamikaB

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »
Thank you Nemdf!! :-)

Offline Ira

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »
Any other specifics about Western? Hoodies? Zippers? Skirts at all? Skinny jeans?

Offline chocolatediva27

• Mrs.Reeves
  • Bobbo is mine and I'm his forever!!!!
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »
Do they allow capris,knee length shorts,sandals,flip flops and dresses at western
6 months til my bobbo is home with only me,I love my   baby so much, I can't wait til he's home!!!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »
Skip the shorts, capris are okay...sandals are okay but I'd skip the flip flops. I believe dresses are fine at all the prisons if the hems are at or below the knees....dress like a nun and you'll have no problems...

Sexy is not something they approve of...they don't want men getting stimulated....LOL
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline LSlater0227

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
I went to Vandalia for a visit on Sunday and flip flops are o.k.  Myself and several other women that were there had them on.  I wore a fitted short sleeve shirt and jeans with no problem.

L.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:54 PM »
Just remember that what one prison allows another may not, if you choose to wear flip flops, be sure to have another pair of shoes in the car just in case.  Vandalia may allow them, but I know other prisons don't!

Also, there are some prisons that will not allow anything short sleeved, like I said, have an alternate in the car!

Offline destinswife

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
I always pay attention to what other visitors are wearing when I visit my hubby at Shawnee. I have always wondered about flip flops because I am a flip flop wearing fool in the warm weather. You could say I have a flip flop fetish I am constantly buying new ones lol. I did see several women wearing them and I also saw a women wearing a dress that came right above the knee. I was worried about wearing my capris on my last visit but they had no problems with them.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
I just straight up asked the CO one day on may way out (i think it was my first ever visit) about flip flops and she said they're fine. Been wearing them ever since up until it was too cold. Mind you, this is at Illinois River. Capris are also ok, got away with a low cut top a few times. Seen women wear skin tight tshirts and jeans and never heard or seen any problems. Like everyone else has said, depends on the prison. If in total doubt, just call them up and ask.

Offline Ira

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
Yesterday was my first visit to Western. They asked me to stick my underpants above the jeans waist line to show that I have them on (weird). Then I was surprised that they are more relaxed on what is allowed to wear than a minimum security Taylorville was. First of all, you can have your jacket or coat on (that's probably because you have to walk outside to get to the visiting room), just nothing inside the pockets I guess. They allow hoodies, zippers, flip flops.... And I haven't seen a poster about dress code anywhere, when at Taylorville they had them all over the place.

Offline LadyPooh3

Bermuda shorts
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Hey. I was wondering if bermuda shorts were allowed. I was thinking about going to see my man but didn't want to get turned around. My man is in Robinson.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Bermuda shorts
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
Hey. I was wondering if bermuda shorts were allowed. I was thinking about going to see my man but didn't want to get turned around. My man is in Robinson.

Your best bet is to call the visiting room before you go andask them .. Some shorts are not allowed in any prison and short sleeve shirts are  not allowed either.

Always take an extra pair of slacks and an extra shirt just in case you are ever turned away on a visit, so you have something to change into and try again.

Offline Steadfast

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »
I am able to wear sleeveless tops at Dixon, and I have seen women in long shorts there, as well.  I am always amazed by some of the cleavage I see on some of the visitors.  The visiting room is so cold, that I usually wear a jacket or sweater on top of my shirt.  The only thing I was not allowed to wear was a jean jacket - I think it is because they are made with french seams, which are bulky and drugs might be able to be smuggled in that way.

Offline veracity

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
We can't wear sleeveless tops at Sheridan. They have a handwritten sign posted on the door that says no spandex and shorts/ skirts can't be shorter than 2 inches above the knee.

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »
I just got back from a visit at MENARD last week.  They are still allowing sandals/flip-flops/backless shoes.  According to the CO I spoke with, they're no longer trying to ban them.  

I did however, see a lady get turned away because you could see the outline of her bra through her shirt.  The shirt had a net-type look at the shoulders.  Even though it had sleeves, it had holes, so she got turned away.  I also saw ladies wearing shorts, bermuda shorts to be exact.  The CO told me that we CAN wear shorts, as long as they're no shorter than 2 inches above the knee, and they aren't "too snug fitting."  

Offline jaxgirl

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2012, 02:29:14 AM »
Just an FYI - I called Shawnee today and they said knee legnth shorts, capri's, flip flops or sandals, one neclace, one pair of earrings and one ring are all ok. State ID and birth certificate will suffice for visiting - just thought I'd pass this along,

Had my first visit at Shawnee this weekend. Went smooth, nice staff, no waiting, full vending machines..... just would have liked to have been able to go outside and walk around with him..... but over all a good experience.

Offline krstlcmpbll

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
I will be visiting Menard for the first time very soon, any tips or suggestions on what to wear, or not to wear to be more specific. I didn't see to much about Menard in this thread. Thanks for your help

Offline hisbaby

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
Best tip is to make sure everything is covered up, nothing too tight and nothing that you can see through.  There is no reason to risk being turned away.  Most times I have worn jeans, t-shirt, or just a regular shirt and tennis shoes.  Not only do you have to wear something that they approve but you will also be sitting on hard chairs for your entire visit so why be uncomfy?

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
I will be visiting Menard for the first time very soon, any tips or suggestions on what to wear, or not to wear to be more specific. I didn't see to much about Menard in this thread. Thanks for your help

No tanktops, only one pair of earrings (BUT the last visit, I saw them make a lady remove her earrings because the hoops were too big), one ring, one watch, no body piercngs, no bracelets, no skinny jeans.  They do allow capris, skirts, and shorts.  Skirts have to be knee length (wear pantyhose), and shorts cannot be shorter than the width of two fingers above the knee.  You can wear hoodies, but, if you wear a shirt under the hoodie it cant be a tanktop.  They had an issue with someone who took the hoodie off during the visit and was wearing a tank top.  I always wear jeans and a t-shirt.  I've worn capris, just make sure they're loose fitting.  Any cleaveage is bad, and underwire is NOT your friend.  They will check to see if there is underwire in your bra, and they will make sure you're wearing underwear.  The basic rule of thumb is... If you wouldn't wear it to church or to court, don't wear it. 

Offline aml6270

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »
You never know because guards are soooooooooo extremely inconsistent!!!!! They make up their own rules.  Your better off wearing a turtle neck and might as well put a sweatshirt on over that as well.  Also don't wear any jeans that have any kind of parts that look frayed or worn out at all because they will tell you its a hole when its clearly NOT a hole at all.  Danville is horrible so I hope nobody visits there.  Put extra clothes in your car because like I said you just never ever know with them.

Offline 13ellis

• missing him....but he's doing great
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
I was at Pittsfield a week ago and I have to say - don't wear anything resembling yoga pants to that facility! Mine were actually skinny jeans in a very stretchy black fabric but they nearly turned me away. In fact I think they only let me in because I am a relative (not wife/gf) and I was there during the week when they don't have as many visitors. Had it not been for that I'm pretty sure they would have turned me away.  :wc61:
Moral of the story - don't wear stretch pants or yoga pants or anything of the sort to Pittsfield !  :wc5:

Offline nikkibaby26

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
My piece of advice- ALWAYS bring extra clothes in the car. I bring at least 2 different alfits because like some one else said very inconsistant on who allows what. Better to be safe then sorry.
“When I saw you, I was afraid to meet you... When I met you, I was afraid to kiss you... When I kissed you, I was afraid to love you... Now that I love you, I'm afraid to lose you.”

Offline pmilver

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
FYI to any visitors at East Moline:
My daughter and I visited my son at East Moline recently.  She had on a cotton blouse with flowers printed all over it.  You could not see through it.  It was however, sleeveless (a modest sleeveless blouse- could see bra straps or anything) and they told her she had to leave her cardigan sweater on.  Thank God she had one with her (guess I could have given her mine too).  Just don't want anyone to get turned away.  Unfortunately, I think a lot of what is and isn't allowed depends on which CO is there that day so best to be on the safe side.  I always take a sweater/light jacket anyway so I can sit on it if need be.  Those metal stools can get pretty uncomfortable after sitting there a couple of hours.

Also, had a card loaded with lots of money (over $40) swiped a couple of visits ago when I accidentally left it in a machine for a few minutes.  Asked the CO's if anyone had turned in a card and "no" was the answer.  Then they said,  "Gee, how surprising that someone visiting a prison would steel. "  Visitors room was pretty full and even though my name was on the card, I did not get it back.  I was a bit bummed out but made a new rule for vending card use that has worked.  I do not take the food out of the machine until AFTER I have removed my card and tucked it in my pocket.  You have to wait a few seconds because the food comes out before the card pops out but so far this has worked.

Offline lori491999

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »
I'm actually surprised they even let her in with a cardi with the sleeveless top underneath.  I've specifically asked about that (since it's most of what I wear to work) and was told without hesitation, NO.  It really stinks since they are very tasteful, but unfortunately, once they let something like that slide, it all goes downhill from there.  I understand their position, but it makes dressing for visits stressful  :wc15:

I'm kind of surprised that your card got swiped, but then again, I've never visited on the weekends, so normally most of the people in the room when I'm there are "usuals" and most of us kind of "know" each other.  I think that's really crappy that happened to you  :wc5:

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
I forgot to mention this, but, for some reason this thread reminded me.  Menard now has a fixed metal detector. If you can't make it through the metal detector, you don't visit.  I had to leave my belt in my locker because it made the metal detector go off. 

Offline BobNBecka

« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
I saw a lady once that had to take her hair down because all the bobby pins set the metal detector off.  Just a heads up.

Offline Coltsgrammie

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »
No Yoga pants or capri's at Pontiac..I got away with them on my first visit because the Serg. was being nice..but was told NO MORE!! Next time I wore pants and sweatshirt..lol!!

Offline Khamp

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2014, 08:38:58 AM »
I haven't seen much on Illinois River on here. Could someone PLEASE help?
It will be my first visit to see my husband. Would like to look nice.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »
I haven't seen much on Illinois River on here. Could someone PLEASE help?
It will be my first visit to see my husband. Would like to look nice.

Just dress like a nun the first time and you'll be fine.  Most prisons do not allow anything short sleeved and shorts have to be at least at the knees.  Read some of the other posts from members from different prisons and you'll get an idea.  Make sure you take a change of clothes in the car, just in case.  Have a great visit!

Offline Khamp

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
Ok thank you so much. They don't have much on Illinois River on this website.  :wc1:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Ok thank you so much. They don't have much on Illinois River on this website.  :wc1:

That is because no one has shared. Maybe you will and pay it forward that is how IPT rolls  :wc1:

Offline Amanda.Marks

• Waiting... <3
  • He is my forever....
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
Illinois River is pretty inconsistent as well, but absolutely no sleeveless, and no cleavage... I would recommend a nice modest top and jeans... No yogas, and sometimes they get weird about wearing white, so it's better to just stick to colors to make sure nothing is see through. I wore a lot of maxi dresses with cardigans when R was there (he just moved in Feb) If you have any questions feel free to ask me... but no, there isn't much IRCC stuff on here, I think it's a less popular one for members.

The thought of being with you tomorrow, gives me the strength to go on today.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
Illinois River is pretty inconsistent as well, but absolutely no sleeveless, and no cleavage... I would recommend a nice modest top and jeans... No yogas, and sometimes they get weird about wearing white, so it's better to just stick to colors to make sure nothing is see through. I wore a lot of maxi dresses with cardigans when R was there (he just moved in Feb) If you have any questions feel free to ask me... but no, there isn't much IRCC stuff on here, I think it's a less popular one for members.

Another reason there isn't much information on here, is because people share it through PM instead of on these boards. 

PLEASE ask and respond on here, that way, the information will be for other people asking about IRCC and not stuck in private messages.  THANK YOU!!

Offline Khamp

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:44 PM »
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. When I start going I will put as much information that I can on here
for other people to read. Thank you again. :wc6:

Offline zachsmom

• Support Staff
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2014, 05:26:40 PM »
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. When I start going I will put as much information that I can on here
for other people to read. Thank you again. :wc6:

Thank you Khamp! that's what we all depend on here, is for others with personal experience to share with the rest of us.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
Thanks Khamp, we appreciate that, this is how IPT was set up way back when we started the site, for people to pay it forward and share what they know and we like FACTS, that is something else we try to give here. If we don't know we don't guess or post maybes.

Online trauma4us

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
Taylorville - we visit seven times/month, weekdays and weekends:

Vending:  vending cards available in waiting room (and waiting is sometimes up to 45 minutes before you are even called back to shakedown).  Up to $99 on card.  $5 to buy the card and you then have $3 on the card.

Dress code:  I've seen sleeveless shirts turned away, any Tshirt (even on children) that are objectionable, promote beer, drugs, sex and/or gang activity (ESPECIALLY GANG ACTIVITY).  No see thru blouses, if you can see your bra, it won't be allowed.  No tight or low cut blouses - if they can see even a hint of cleavage, you will be going to the car.  No low-cut jeans.  If you get a warning, you will get only one per the CO at the check in desk then you get banned for an indeterminate time if you violate the rules a second time.

Visiting room:  quite cool I thought.  If you wear a cardigan you must keep it on.  Sometimes you are assigned a seat sometimes you can sit wherever.  Vending machines often have fresh salad and veggies and fruit in cups.  Pretty good assortment.

Hope this helps...

Offline Khamp

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2014, 06:44:10 AM »
Hello I would like to just give an updated in IRCC visiting. It is not a bad prison for visiting your l/o. The guards are very nice so far.

I have went to visit 3 times so far.

You can not wear tank tops. The shirt sleeves have to cover the top of your arms. If it shows your arms pits at all you have to have something to put over it or change it.

No leggings, no jeans with holes or frays.

I don't wear earrings but I have seen some women wearing them. They have been the small earrings no big long ones.

My visits have been at least 4 hour long.  You get 6 visits a month.

Out of the 3 one was 4 hours, one was 4 hours and 45 minutes and the last one was 4 hours and 30 minutes.

The vending machines are expensive but at least your l/o can eat. The sandwich machine is $4.75. Pop machines are $1.85. And The coffee machine is $1.25. It is a little more if you get a lot of extras in your coffee.

The inmates are only getting two meals a day. My husband is still in holding so hopefully he will go to gen pop soon.

The inmates are on 21/3 when he gets moved.

I hope this helps some. If you would like to know something else please ask me on here so I can get you the answer and every one will know.

I would like to get more information on here about IRCC as I find out.

Offline me

• Support Staff
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »
Thanks for that update on visiting IRCC Khamp. I'm glad you got to see your l/o and enjoy your visits.

Offline ccmitch2727

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
What about yoga capri pants are they allowed

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2014, 06:54:51 AM »

The yoga pants maybe in question.  Our advice for the first visit, is dress like a nun, always take an extra set of clothes in the car just in case and have a nice visit!

Offline chantygirl

« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »

I don't know which prison you visit, but, I can say without a doubt that Yoga pants are a definite no-no at Menards.

Online trauma4us

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
Also, although everyone advises to bring extra clothes at least at Taylorville if they give you an infraction for clothing, you only get the one warning, the next time you don't get in and your visits are suspended.

I personally saw this happen to two people a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Sizz

« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
          At Graham, they do not allow you to change. You are just denied the visit. They don't let you wear any jewelry anymore either except a wedding/engagement ring. Not even a watch.

:wc71-1:

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2014, 07:54:58 AM »
The rules seem to vary by who is doing your shakedown. I know it's not sexy, but I have always worn jeans & t-shirts & jeans.

I've seen sweatpants turned away & allowed at the same facility. V-necks are never allowed, even if no cleavage shows.

Even little kids are turned away in tank tops & zhorts above the knees.
He's home!

Offline ghostlyy

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »
I'm going to Vandalia and wondering what kind of skirts are allowed? If they're floor length, is that acceptable?
I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest,
And even though you wont be gone long, it doesnt make it hurt any less.

Offline StayinTrue2Him

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
I'm going to Vandalia and wondering what kind of skirts are allowed? If they're floor length, is that acceptable?
Yes..As long as the skirts are down to the knee they're accepted...I've worn long skirts/dresses as well as knee length to Stateville with no problems. Hope you have a great visit! :wc50:
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Online trauma4us

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »
At least at Taylorville, I have seen women turned away with long skirts that have a slit up the side even though I thought it was very modest, it wasn't allowed.

I wear capris, jeans, t-shirt, cardigan, sandals, tennis shoes and thats about all I've tried.  I haven't worn a skirt or dress in 35+ years - lol.

Have a great visit.

Offline StayinTrue2Him

« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »
Excellent point,trauma4us...A skirt even though long,cannot have a slit up the side at the 'Ville either. I don't wear skirts or dresses out here much,but I just like to be dressed up when I go visit my fiance. It makes him feel good and puts a big smile on his face... :wc2:
"You are the missing piece I've been waiting all my life for.."

Offline jaf

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
Yes..As long as the skirts are down to the knee they're accepted...I've worn long skirts/dresses as well as knee length to Stateville with no problems. Hope you have a great visit! :wc50:

And make sure they're not at all see through, or have slits that go higher than your knees.

oops. . I should have read the rest of the posts before I jumped in..  Oh well - everyone wants to be helpful.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »

And make sure they're not at all see through, or have slits that go higher than your knees.

oops. . I should have read the rest of the posts before I jumped in..  Oh well - everyone wants to be helpful.

And be sure you have an extra change of clothes, just in case you for whatever reason are denied with what you have on. :)

Offline cjm090

« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2015, 12:17:15 AM »
I visited Vandalia many times and was told no slits at all in skirts. Must be longer than knee length when sitting down. All depends on who searches you. I always take a change of clothes just in case.

Offline tkesde1

« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2015, 08:14:16 AM »
I have a plain white t-shirt that I wear under everything just to be on the safe side, I realize I look like my dear mother (may she rest in peace), but I'm always safer than sorry. I have worn long shorts in there (I'm not a dress or skirt person), but before I wear anything new I do my mirror dance, I sit down, stand up, bend over and as long as nothing ever goes above my knees, I wear it. I do keep a change of clothes in the car just in case as well.

Our daughter however, is much less conservative when she dresses to visit her dad. She swears she only has 2 pairs of jeans that fit (fit is a relative term, it means something different at 40-something than it does at 20-something). They let her in to visit wearing them (tight with holes in them, even above the knee and closer to her belly button than her knees), but I make sure she at least has her scrubs from work in the car in case they turn her away. I am certain that one day, someone will turn her away in her jeans.
He's home!

Offline Cfrisby92

« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
Hello I've got a few questions about Illinois river, what should I put  on my 1 year old son?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2015, 07:36:19 AM »
Hello I've got a few questions about Illinois river, what should I put  on my 1 year old son?

Something that covers him all up and is comfortable  skeleton3