• March 18, 2019, 07:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons  (Read 87596 times)

Offline babychks

Hello,

This has probably been asked before but any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been to visit vandalia several times now but the weather has always been kinda chilly. I've worn pants or knee length skirts. I'm wondering now tho how strict they are on summer dresses or sandals. I always take extra clothes, just in case, but it would be nice to show up looking extra cute for my bf  :wc59:

I do plan on calling the prison to ask, but sometimes what they say and what they actually do, or accept, are completely different. Any bad experiences with certain outfits?

Thanks!  :wc1:

Offline seaturtle

• Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.
  • Rest in the arms of the Dragon.
Re: What should I wear? Dress Code for Visiting for Individual Prisons
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
With summer on the way (well it was yesterday!) you may want to think first before you put on those "daisy dukes" with a spaghetti strap tank and slip on your flip flops.  Most Illinois Prisons do not allow sandals/flip flops, shirts showing your shoulders and short skirts/shorts.  Better to be safe than sorry and be turned away.  When visiting you should try to dress as if you were going to church, or grandma's birthday party.  Keep it modest while staying cool.  It is best to call first and ask what is acceptable.  It is also a good idea to bring a completely different outfit with as a just in case.

If you have been visiting in the summer and know what is acceptable please share it here.  Be sure to state which facility it is that you have visited and what you have worn and have seen accepted.  

I have visited Sheridan: absolutely no tank tops, no shorts and no bare midriff.  Flip flops and sandals are accepted along with Capri pants.  The visiting room is air conditioned and sometimes is actually a little chilly, I always bring a zippered sweatshirt to throw on if I get cold.
Once in a Lifetime you find the One that completes you.  <3

Offline blah2u

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
I have visited Southwestern and shorts are allowed (but not daisy dukes), flip flops are ok too.  Don't know about the tank tops though, but I can't seem them being acceptable.  There is A/C in the visiting room as well and it can get chilly.  

Offline Ira

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
Taylorville: shorts and skirts must be knee high, t-shirts must have "actual" sleeves (not sure what exactly they mean by that, going to ask next time I visit), if you vear a v-neck, you must have a tank top under it. That's pretty much what I know so far.

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
Taylorville: shorts and skirts must be knee high, t-shirts must have "actual" sleeves (not sure what exactly they mean by that, going to ask next time I visit), if you vear a v-neck, you must have a tank top under it. That's pretty much what I know so far.

T-shirts with "actual" sleeves means no cut-off sleeves.  The actual top of the shoulder needs to be covered.

Offline bmonska

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »

Pittsfield Work Camp is the same as far as no sleeveless shirts and short shorts/skirts. I was told so far only by one CO there are NO sandals or shoes allowed that show the top of the foot or the toes. Yet, I haven't seen this CO back there ever since she told me that so i started wearing flip flips again and no one has said anything to me about it. I have seen others wearing flips flops as well and they haven't been told not to. I was told they ARE supposed to turn away people wearing sandals but they don't (except for the one CO several months ago). I haven't had a problem with v-necks as long as nothing is showing. You should ask if cap sleeves are part of that sleeveless genre. Some caps sleeps are so short they barely cover the shoulders and many times the armpits show when you wear them. This was the only type of shirt they had a question about on me. I was let in to visit anyway "as long as you don't plan on waving your arms around over head, you're good) but many other prisons are as lax as the work camp.

Offline LovinDB

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
Pinckneyville : I have worn flip flops and capris before no tank tops or see through shirts.. When i used to go there i would always make sure not to wear a v neck shirt or anything that you can see any part or your boobs bc they will make you go change your shirt, or not let you in. I would always wear a zip up because it would get chilly.. Hope this helps..

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »
Some are lax and some are not.  Bring an extra set of everything just to be safe.  In Sheridan I had been visiting for about 5 months and then was told that I could not wear hoop earrings.  Believe me they are tiny little hoops, you can barely see them.  But this CO decided that day that we couldn't wear them.  I go the same day every week, so it is always the same CO.  She told me to take the earrings off for three weeks in a row (I kept forgetting as I never take them out).  She hasn't said anything about them since.  And last week I wore my hair in a pony tail and didn't realize I still had them in till I was already in the visiting room.

Go figure.....IDOC    :wc13:

Offline Crowe29

• I Will Love You Till They Take My Heart
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »
Just visited Illinois River CC and the CO said yes to flip flops...no tanks though...shirts gotta have sleeves...i wear capri's so i didn't ask about shorts.

Offline SisterLove

• He is my life.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »
Dixon C C allows tank tops most of the time flips flops are good shorts and skirts as long as they come to the knee.
He is my Life, My Greatest Gift from god He is my husband.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
Sister: tanks at Dixon??? you don't say...though when i was at IRCC it got reallllyyyy cold in that room so i don't think it would make any sense to wear a tank in the first place. I might even bring a hoodie next time. Are those allowed anyone know???

Offline bmonska

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
A sweater/hoodie is usually allowed in general across the board but they will search it just like they search you. i would just wear it in so it's searched the same time you are. If they have you take it off, no biggie.

Offline seaturtle

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
I am The Hoodie Queen.  LOL  I wear them all of the time, usually without a t-shirt under.  The first few times I was asked to take it off...then they realized it was the only shirt I had on!!  No, I didn't take it off I just explained that there was nothing underneath.  They feel the hood and the pockets and I am good.  There have been times I have brought one with when it is warmer out side, I just carry it in and lay it on the table for shake down.  I have had no problems at all with wearing hoodies at Sheridan.  I just make sure that what ever may be on the front of it can no way be thought of as gang related.  I train dogs for a living so most have dogs on them.

Offline Crowe29

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
Thanks ladies! Now i'll know for next time...a hoodie and flip flops, lol!

Offline Ira

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
Hoodies are a no-no at Taylorville. No zippers either. I guess they allow buttoned sweaters, but I'm not sure if they will let to take it off or even unbutton... Got to ask.

Offline SisterLove

• He is my life.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
the Ac at  Dixon is on sometimes sometimes it not so A tank is good when its hot as heck, we cant wear any jackets in the visiting room and you can wear a hoodie as long as goes over you head, that's the only way you can wear it. I dont have a lot of hoodies, But I have alot of tank and the other facility he was didnt not allow them at all. They are a little more relaxed at Dixon with their clothes than Hill C C  was so I dont stress out as much trying to get an outfit together for my visit. I always take extra clothes with me no matter what to be safe because sometimes each officer is a little different.
He is my Life, My Greatest Gift from god He is my husband.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
Bringing this topic back up, hoping more will share.  If the prison you visit is not listed, please add yours and share with us he dresscode! 

Thank You!
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Mcaballero

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
Just and FYI: Dixon doesn't allow zippers! They made me leave &nd buy a new sweater cuz I had a zipper on...they said this a rule for all Prisons so No matter where your going I wouldn't reccomend wearing one!

-Meli XOXO

Offline TimeStandsStill

• Mod Squad
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »
Big Muddy River  I have seen ladies wear capri's and flip flops.  I have brought in a hoodie with a zipper and have never had a problem with it.  I was told once that I had to change my top because it was too low cut. It really wasn't and I wore that same top on a previous visit with no problem.  The guy in front used the "three fingers below the collar bone rule".  I dress rather conservatively and try to avoid anything questionable.

Offline jdmlt

• Mod Squad
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
I would call the prison ur LO is in but that still is no guarantee that another person might think different when u get there though. But from what I have read here and experienced you do at all prisons have to have a bra & underwear on...as stated above by TSS, my daughter or I have worn zippered hooded outerwear. I wear slip on crocs. My son is also at Big Muddy.