• October 21, 2018, 11:01:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Can Inmates Call Cell Phones  (Read 22756 times)

Offline MizzSoLoDoLo

• IthinkIluvHim
Can Inmates Call Cell Phones
« on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
Can inmatez call cell phonez? And if they do what is the cost for me?
IthinkIluvHim

Offline ciessa

Re: Can Inmates Call Cell Phones?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
they can but you would need to set up a prepaid account with consolidated in order for them to do so as well as prepay the amount you would like to have on your account. i dont have a home phone so my husband always calls me through the cell. check out consolidated's page on here to get their number and more information. the best advice i could give about this is to be sure to keep track of how much you want to use on phone calls and limit it to that. my husband does a good job at not calling me too much so we dont run through all the prepay really quick. oh, and consolidated can give you a general idea of how much each call costs (mine is about $10 each for 29min).  hope that helps.

Offline kemos girl

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
Yep mine is about $10 for 29 minutes also and when my fiance was transferred from Danville( 3hours south) to Shawnee( 6 hours south) the 29 minutes for $10 stayed the same

Offline tcampbell

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »
My husband is in Jacksonville and it is around the same amout also. 

Offline Missplaymate618

• His BabyGirl
  • **Keepin My Head Up For My Hubs**
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:50:16 PM »
My L/O calls my cell phone all the time. Like everyone has mentioned before you will need to set up the prepaid account with Consolidated. My L/O is in Graham which is about fourty min from me and my 29 min phone call is around 9 dollars.

Offline MizzSoLoDoLo

• IthinkIluvHim
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »
Thank You all!
IthinkIluvHim

Offline MizzSoLoDoLo

• IthinkIluvHim
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
Can Inmates Call everyday at Danville and at what times do they usually get to call?
IthinkIluvHim

Yesmi

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »
Can Inmates Call everyday at Danville and at what times do they usually get to call?

Yes they can call everyday-if phones are available. And the time they call depends on their times they get to come out. For example- my guy can call about 8am-9am and 7pm-8pm one week and the next week it will be different. They get two weekly schedules and they they switch every other week.

Offline drgnldy

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:47:34 AM »
I have a pre-paid cellphone with unlimited everything. I still have to call Consolidated to set up an account and pre-pay that too? Just trying to understand this before his list is approved.

:wc16:
Will there ever be an end to this madness??

Offline billswife97

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
i also have unlimited everything. and i had to set up a pre-paid account with consolidated.

Offline drgnldy

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 01:28:10 AM »
Thanks for the info! It helps to get thru all of this. Just getting used to it all.
Will there ever be an end to this madness??

Offline KatieM

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
I am considering dropping my home line and strictly using my cell phone. My home line is in Illinois, but my cell has a 314 number, which is in Missouri.  Is it drastically more expensive for an out of state number?  Right now it is about $9 per call. What are you that are out of state paying? 

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »
I think I'm paying right around $12 for a 30 minute call. That's with a New Mexico number.

Offline KatieM

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
Thank you, I wonder if it's the distance that makes the difference or just the "out of state" factor.  Guess I will have to wait for someone from another state to come along............Ha ha.

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
just a thought and kinda some work, but leave your landline on for now, change your cell number have your L/O put in for the new number that way its closer number and remain cheaper in price.
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline KatieM

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »
I thought of that Jcruz, but I use my work number for my personal use as well (since it's unlimited calling) and I wouldn't be able to change my number.  Always and obstacle it seems.   :wc95:

Offline jcruz1104

• Always & Forever "Just Us"
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
I figured you did think of it, and of course there is always a test but its never as bad as we think and God always walks with us. so its fine...

Good luck
& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"

Offline chadsangel4

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »
I am in North Carolina and mine is about $9.80 for 30 minutes.
\\\"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice.\\\"
-Desmond Tutu

Offline rottiemama2003

• ~better times are coming~
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
Thank you, I wonder if it's the distance that makes the difference or just the "out of state" factor.  Guess I will have to wait for someone from another state to come along............Ha ha.

There is some one here from MO also maybe they can help you.
Rottiemama2003

Offline MzNdpndnt

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
I live in Texas but still have my 773 number on my cell phone (I'm originally from Chicago) and thank god I do because the calls are based on the towers that the inmates are using so if your L/O was calling a MO number it would be more expensive than if he was calling a "local" number. I actually work for a cell phone company, so I would suggest that you ask the cell phone provider that you're with to give you a local number that way the calls stay around $9.00. My loved one was just transferred from Big Muddy to Logan and the calls remained $9.30 for a 30 minute phone call.

Offline Niesee20

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
 what area code will the inmate call frm in stateville r&c?

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
what area code will the inmate call frm in stateville r&c?

All calls from IDOC are routed through a 217 area code.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 05:16:13 PM »
If the staff allows a call from a regular Ville phone it would appear as an 815 number.   Sometimes the counselors allow and R and C inmate to call home...and not go through Consolidated.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Niesee20

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 07:11:24 PM »
 ok thanks guys

Offline chocolatediva27

• Mrs.Reeves
  • Bobbo is mine and I'm his forever!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 12:03:42 PM »
Hey everybody, I was wondering if anyone. can tell me if I would have to set up the prepay before my hubby calls or do I have to wait til he calls. Because they're telling me different things when I call so its like i don't know  :santasl:
6 months til my bobbo is home with only me,I love my   baby so much, I can't wait til he's home!!!!!

Offline hisbaby

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
I believe that they will let you set up before he calls.  They let me but they told me that I had not been approved yet so I had to still wait for his list to come back.  Others have been told that they can not set up prior, I would just call and give it a try. 

Offline bmonska

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
They set mine up last year around this time while hubby was unable to call from r&c. I emailed them and asked though I still had to call to put money on it initially.

Offline mserer

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »
I was able to set mine up in advance of being approved on his list. At the time, a couple of months ago, the consolidated operator told me I was not approved yet.  I  explained to her that I wanted it set up with money on it in advance so that he could start calling as soon as I was approved.  She didn't have any problem with that. His daughter called the next day and did the same thing with no problems.  Good luck, I hope you get to talk to him soon  :wc7:

Offline Ddgirl

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
Has anyone heard of ******.COM a phone service? I am trying to see how this works my brother in law told my mother in law this would be cheaper but I don't see how, does she still need to have a pre paid service.

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »
Has anyone heard of ********.COM a phone service? I am trying to see how this works my brother in law told my mother in law this would be cheaper but I don't see how, does she still need to have a pre paid service.

You can only use Consolidated, if your inmate is caught using this, he will go to SEG and all phone calls will be stopped.
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline GoodGirl

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
Can I use the same prepaid acct that I currently use for my home phone with my cell phone (once the # is approved), or will consolidated make me set up 2 separate accts?  Just curious if anyone knows.

Offline JefesWife

Re: Can Inmates Call Cell Phones??
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »
I have Boost mobile. Securustech has my # as clear to receive calls, but I'm not receiving anything. When I call securustech it says the last time he tried calling was yesterday but the calls are not coming in..... Help!!!

Offline BobNBecka

Re: Can Inmates Call Cell Phones
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
That's happening to everyone right now....11 days like that now for us....no idea.

Offline pmilver

Re: Can Inmates Call Cell Phones-YES
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:42 PM »
Calls from East Moline on the new system (Securus) are coming in to me and my husband on our cell phones with Illinois area codes.

Offline me

• Support Staff
Re: Can Inmates Call Cell Phones
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 10:18:16 AM »
Can you guys please stop changing the subject line.  Mah posted about not doing this.

Thanks.