Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 31, 2014, 12:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Does the Ankle Monitor Work?  (Read 7459 times)
luvmyvietman

true love waits

« on: April 24, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »

Curious, what it will be like for my hubby. How far can they go? Is it just like a modem looking device that plugs into the phonejack? Other than the acual bracelt I mean.
becca

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:16:45 AM »

When my son had one.  He could go anywhere in Illinois between 6 am and 7 pm.  Yes, he will plug it in nightly to recharge (takes around 1 hour).  If he is in a "red" zone  the speaker tells him to bascially get out of that area.  If he needs to go into a red zone for anything he has to call the PO (usually a couple days notice) and he will adjust the monitor for a certain amount of time.  It was spooky because the person monitoring his thing can talk to him over the monitor.  Your hubby ankle will get sore.  My son had trouble sleeping at night because he is a "side" sleeper and kept hitting the monitor.  Sometimes the monitor went off for no reason and he had to tell them he was home.  I think the gps messes up sometimes.  He can wear it under socks (but will ruin the socks eventually). 
I wish my son was home and wearing one now umm.   Your PO will explain how far he can go and when.
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:09:31 AM »

Curious, what it will be like for my hubby. How far can they go? Is it just like a modem looking device that plugs into the phonejack? Other than the acual bracelt I mean.

It all depends on what his PO tells him when he comes out as to how far he can go and for how long  .. It works off of the phone line, you normally have to have a designated line for his anklet.  When they call to check if he is there, you had better answer that phone pronto!   When released he has to sit up to 72 hours until his PO comes out to see him and gives him his instructions. 

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »

Becca - was your son an SO?  They have entirely different kinds of ankle monitors than most parolees.  The typical radio signal monitor doesn't need to be charged, it's not uncomfortable to wear and it can't talk to you or know your location or red zones.  It's just a small box on a strap around the ankle and it's signal goes to a small box attached to your telephone.  When the distance is broken between those two signals it sets off an alarm at parole headquarters....to signal they've left their area....which is about 50 feet around the house.  If the parolee is given free time the box is deactivated by the parole department for that period of time.  Occasionally the PO will check the parolee by calling the phone number and he must answer it. 

The only parolees being put on GPS monitors in Illinois are sex offenders.  These GPS monitors are very expensive but they are a surefire way to keep an eye on SO's.

And obviously he's not allowed to go anywhere in Illinois....he must have permission to be away from his home while wearing the monitor.   

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
luvmyvietman

true love waits

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »

Thanks girls. My biggest fear is that he will go to the basement and do laundry and it will get set off. Maybe I will just do the laundry for 90 days. Not worth the risk.
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »

My inmate was able to go all over my tri-level house, including to the back of a big yard to the garden and across the street to get the dog when he ran out the door.....I think he actually had about a 100 ft he could move around in....my house was only fifty feet in any one direction. 

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
luvmyvietman

true love waits

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:24 PM »

Thanks Daz, that was what Iwas looking for.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: