• January 21, 2019, 06:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: It's Official-Kankakee Minimum Security Unit is Closing  (Read 16473 times)

Offline sept2681

It's Official-Kankakee Minimum Security Unit is Closing
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »
The women inmates at KMSU were called into the gym for a meeting with the Superintendant this week.  He told them that the DOC "wanted to close KMSU."  Inmates in the Wells Program were told that the program would end on October 15th.

My wife is being told that they will be transferred to either Lincoln or Decatur.  People in the Wells Program were not told anything about continuing, but the word is that there are waiting lists at the other women's facilities.

My wife is upset on a number of levels, but mostly because travel time for visits will double since we live in the Chicago area.  She is inconsolable because she thinks no one will come see her.  I guess the good news is she is 6 months short.

Personnally, I am struggling with dealing with her emotions, some of which are understandable but others seem exagerated.  I have come a long way in letting her vent without trying to "fix" everything.  Maybe I haven't come as far as I thought.
Adversity arrives on its own schedule in a vehicle of its own design.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: It's Official-Kankakee Minimum Security Unit is Closing
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
Is she eligible for early release?  They might have that in mind for some inmates from KMSU.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline sept2681

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:30:34 AM »
Well, we were hoping for early release, but not expecting it.  She is over 50, but her offense was aggravated DUI, Death of another.  It's an 85% TIS sentence.  She went through Wells 4 x even tho she got no credit.  She has no disciplinary tickets and no prior criminal record.  I just don't see them letter her go, due to the nature of the offense.  In my mind, she only has a shot if they take the nature of theoffender into account.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
Sorry, I didn't know it was an 85% case, making her ineligible. 
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline jlnjy

• The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »
Sept

When I read your post it sounds like she does need you more than ever - just keep listening and reassuring what you know to be true. Commit only to what you know for a fact to be true - your own commitment to her. She fears others won't come see her - then tell her about the things you're looking forward to when you visit her. Find out what you can or ask her about what she knows about the visiting at those facilities. Keep the focus on the plans.

Change is hard - especially when you feel like the rug has been pulled up from underneath you. I can imagine when she was sentenced, your life may have felt a little bit like that.

I understand the feeling of not being able to fix things. I get that way - sometimes I'm ok and accept it and other times, I feel guilty even when its something beyond my control.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »
Not trying to be funny here but you say she's over 50....and sometimes us females get a little nutz right around that time....and it can last for quite a few years....LOL.  Everything seems to be exaggerated.  Hormones can do wonders....BTW ladies, soy is the greatest source to reduce hot flashes, other than chemicals.  It contains more estrogen than any other natural source.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:05:57 PM »
sept2681,
 I haven't been in Decatur for many years but when I was there, there was a waiting list for the Wells program and schooling then.  However because the majority of women serve smaller amounts of time plus women graduating the programs, the rotation to get into programs was fairly quick.   The wait time is considerably shorter than the mens prisons.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline sept2681

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:36 PM »
Thanks for the support.

JL:  Of course you're right.  Loving_Liz has given me some good info about Lincoln.  The longer visiting hours at Lincoln & Decatur will help us No IL visitors.  The fact is she feels most frightened & vulnerable when she is in anticipation of a change.  When the rubber meets the road & the change happens, she is incredibly strong & resilient.  I am feeling guilty at my own emotional fatigue in dealing with this crap.

Daz:  She is past her "nuttiness"...thank God.  Are we not allowed to say menopause on this board?  ;-)

Ivanrs2:  Thanks for the heads up on Wells.  I wonder if they will let her in at all since she doesn't get days and the program runs in a 6 month cycle.  As is it right now, she has 2 jobs a KMSU.  She is a commissary worker and is on the ground crew.

Offline lvanrs2

• Lvanrs2
  • Support Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »
If she is on the grounds crew she has OPD clearance.  They may allow her to stay on the grounds crew.  As far as working in commissary, I don't know.  At the time I was there, commissary was a hard job to get (as well as jobs in industry) because the women rarely left that position.  With the OPD clearance, in Decatur those women went to Springfield to clean offices at night.  I believe it was 2 nights a week, of course that may have changed also.
There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.

Offline beenthere

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:37 PM »
Sept2681 -

I was with K for 8 months before they moved me to work release.  I hope she is well!  Do you have any idea when they will close KMSU?  Did she or anyone there hear about ED?  We just found out if we were going, and when, on Monday.

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
Been there -  you've been approved for Electronic Detention?  We've got a member from Peoria ATC that's been waiting forever to be released also...

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline beenthere

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »
Dazzler,

Yes, been approved.  The first batch is leaving 11/10/09 and the next group leaves 12/1/09.  Don't know how or why those dates, but that is what we've been told.

Offline sept2681

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
Hey beenthere:

She's doing well.  There has been no more talk about closure since the week the Supe gathered them into the gym.  There have been no more women transferred in to KMSU for about a month.  The census is down to around 80 or maybe lower.

Good luck to you

Offline loving_Liz

• My sweatheart LIZ
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
I know some girls at Lincoln who work in the Commissary and they seem to like it. Another possibility is LTS.  That's where Liz works now and has in the past she she loves it.  Also OPD with the grounds crew or in the warehouse are possibilities.

Offline sept2681

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »
Not sure what will happen with the closure but by the end of the month the census will be around 45.  She will also be a "Ho Case" on Feb 1, so if they close KMSU down, I doubt she will get a job with so little time left. 

BTW, "Ho Case" is the women's term for 61 days or less.  Y'all can probably figure out the origin of the term.

Offline beenthere

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
Any updated information on whether this will close or not?  How many women are still there?  Is Wells closed down?

Offline sept2681

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 08:29:34 PM »
Last week the population was down to about 50 until 16 transfers came in.  My understanding is that the women came from the X House.  Staff members speculate that, at the very least, any closure will be delayed.

Wells is still operating.  My l/o will likely finish before any possible closure.  She has 61 days to go!

Offline beenthere

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »
I'm glad things are going well for K.  She's now a Ho and I'll bet that being called that has never felt so good!