• March 24, 2019, 03:08:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2019. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Reclassification of Security Clearance  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Mrs.Mcgahee

• "A Match made in Heaven"
Reclassification of Security Clearance
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
My Bf was just reclassified to a lower security clearance. What does this mean for him, he has to do 85% of the time anyway so how does that help him. The counselor is very happy with him. The law library are telling him to put in for a parole hearing to drop something. The way the explained to him is it will count in there so he can be moved to a minimum prison. He is currently at Logan, and I would hope he can move to East Moline because it closer to Chicago. Have anyone heard of this? He told me what its called? They have him feeling out so much paper work to help him but it all gets so jumble.

Second Question: I asked before have anyone heard of immediate release when the judge doesn't tell you how much parole you will have to do? He is currently requesting his transcripts to have my lawyer and the law library to view them. I guess to look for discrepancy! Are we just reaching or is it worth pursuing. Just trying to bring home sooner. We realize he doesn't get out until 2012. His counselor is telling him he is doing great and keep up the good work. My professor told me to tell him to just sit and it will be over sooner then he think. The counselor ask him why he wants to transfer, he just stay in Logan and it will be over sooner then he thinks? Do you guys agree with that or are we just being children about it?

Let me know, I appreciate everyone opinion. Thank you in advance

Offline allgone

Re: Reclassification of Security clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
I actually wish mine had stayed at Logan.  It wasn't too bad for visits.  Each time his security level dropped, he moved further away from me to a lower security prison.  But he didn't request any transfer, they just automatically moved him.

Offline RT

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:32:42 PM »
The lower classification allows a move to a less secure facility. However, one of the rules for East Moline is no sex offenders and you MUST have 5 or less years to do before being considered for placement.

Now to answer your second question. The parole/MSR time. What you are referring to is People v. Morgan. A case that was decided by the appellate court and now the case has every inmate ordering transcripts of the sentencing hearing and arraignment to see if they were admonished to MSR time. Chances are that he was and if he were to appeal his case and withdrawl his guilty plea, he would be out. This is just another one of those rumors that fly around the prisons and everyone has a copy of the decision, giving them false hope of an early release. Sorry it was not better news.

Rick
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis

Offline Mrs.Mcgahee

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »
Good Morning

Thanks, this helps. He has less than 4 years to do. and he isn't a sex offender. I don't want him moved further away I already travel 3 hours. If they drop him down again do you think they will move him. I pray allow him to stay where he is.

Thanks RT, I think how it started with him is he didn't remember how much or the judge told him anything about it. Well thank you.

One more question, if the judge sentence him to 6 years which is 72 months. Why do they have it down as 78 months? He is sure what the judge told him about how many years because his lawyer broke down how much time he will serve. Do we have to contact someone about this or How do we get them to change it. Also they have his date of birth wrong. Who enters this stuff and how can that be changed?

Offline RT

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »
A 72 month sentence is the same as six years. Comes out to 30 months minus credit for county jail time. If he is eligible, he could get good time for school.

Rick
"Imprisonment has become the response of first resort to far too many of our social problems."
-- Angela Davis

Offline Mrs.Mcgahee

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
RT, I understand that six years is 72 months but it has the wrong amount of time on the IDOC website. How do we correct it? It should say 72 but instead it says 78. Thats four additional months. Can you help me with who I would talk to. We also need to fix his date of birth? How do we go about doing this.

Offline RT

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »
I misunderstood your question. I would wait for him to get to a parent institution, then call his counselor so that they can notify the records office. They are the ones that enter that stuff in the website.

Rick
-- Angela Davis

Offline Mrs.Mcgahee

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 04:56:32 PM »
Thanks RT

Actually he is already at Logan and he didn't even know all the information on the system was wrong. So he needs to ask his counselor about his date of Birth and his correct sentence to be corrected. thanks

Offline MHerring

Re: Reclassification of Security Clearance
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 12:37:02 AM »
My husband has a conviction from 2015 for aggravated battery on a peace officer. Long story short that is not what happened but who are they going to believe. Anyway his offer was plead guilty serve 30 days via weekends at county or set jury trial and if found guilty serve 5 years. Eventhough he was innocent we took the safe road and he plead guilty. He is now incarcerated on a felony 3 minor drug charge non violent non sex but when he was transferred from Menard r/c to Hill because of this charge on his criminal history he was given a red card and is in the maximum security wing. I am appauled, will he get a chance for a review to be classified down and if so when?

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25:10 AM »
If he has a prior of assault on peace officer, I would expect them to keep him in maximum until he gets much closer to his out date.  Just my opinion, as I don't know the "rules" for this type of situation.

Offline kristyski1

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 04:46:37 PM »
The lower classification allows a move to a less secure facility. However, one of the rules for East Moline is no sex offenders and you MUST have 5 or less years to do before being considered for placement.

Now to answer your second question. The parole/MSR time. What you are referring to is People v. Morgan. A case that was decided by the appellate court and now the case has every inmate ordering transcripts of the sentencing hearing and arraignment to see if they were admonished to MSR time. Chances are that he was and if he were to appeal his case and withdrawl his guilty plea, he would be out. This is just another one of those rumors that fly around the prisons and everyone has a copy of the decision, giving them false hope of an early release. Sorry it was not better news.

RT, It may have been in the past the sex offenders were not allowed in East Moline. Thatís not true anymore. My LO is in East Moline right now, and is with several. He is not a sex offender, but does have several around him. Also, Nemdf, East Moline is not that great in my opinion. Just because itís closer does not mean itís better. You are allowed 7 visits by law, but only 2 a month can be on weekends.  If you visit on a weekend, expect your visit to be cut from 4 hours to 2 without warning. Itís happened almost every time Iíve visited on a weekend.  Getting into vocational is almost impossible. The food is not great. My LO only had commissary once in December, once in January and now itís looking like heíll only get to go once this month. He currently canít call home because the two phones on his deck are broken. They have no idea when theyíll be fixed. . Healthcare is spotty at best. The only building with air conditioning in the summer is the admin building. It is not run like a minimum security institution. Iím not really sure what youíd call it. Itís frustrating at best.

Rick

Offline kristyski1

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
In not sure why my post showed up in the quote. Weird. Hereís what I meant to say:

RT, It may have been in the past the sex offenders were not allowed in East Moline. Thatís not true anymore. My LO is in East Moline right now, and is with several. He is not a sex offender, but does have several around him.

Also, Nemdf, East Moline is not that great in my opinion. Just because itís closer does not mean itís better. You are allowed 7 visits by law, but only 2 a month can be on weekends.  If you visit on a weekend, expect your visit to be cut from 4 hours to 2 without warning. Itís happened almost every time Iíve visited on a weekend.  Getting into vocational is almost impossible. The food is not great. My LO only had commissary once in December, once in January and now itís looking like heíll only get to go once this month. He currently canít call home because the two phones on his deck are broken. They have no idea when theyíll be fixed. . Healthcare is spotty at best. The only building with air conditioning in the summer is the admin building. It is not run like a minimum security institution. Iím not really sure what youíd call it. Itís frustrating at best.

Online trauma4us

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
This thread started in 2009 and many rules have changed since then. The hard and fast rule about number of years of sentence determining what security level prison you go to.

Offline Nemdf

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »
Kristiski1:

I am sorry but I do not know anything about East Moline, and don't think I made any comments about it?  Did you mean to post that to someone else?  Thank you.