• November 13, 2018, 10:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Info On Dixon Springs Boot Camp  (Read 41533 times)

Offline cgs51

Info On Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »
July 3, 2009
Welcome to IPT--it will be a lifesaver for you.  I know cause it saved me several times.  All the people here are GREAT!

Dixon Springs is a paramilitary type boot camp.  It is hard both mentally and physically. They go in as a "Ghost" and wear white uniforms.  The COs (Correction Officers) are IN THEIR FACE and on their backs all the time.  It only lasts the first two weeks but it is THE toughest part of the boot camp.  They intend to "weed out" the ones that are not determined to make it.  

After that they get their "blues" which is the regular boot camp uniform.  If he is real lucky he will get "a job" either in the kitchen or maintenance or on a job crew.  That definitely makes the time go faster and keeps them from doing extra PTs (physical trainings--exercises and running) if someone else in their unit messes up.

According to my son, the food is really awful--he lost 65 pounds but I think they have the air conditioning fixed in all the dorms now.  The COs are all pulling double shifts so they are more short tempered than usual and then the heat doesn't help.

BUT, he CAN make it if YOU are willing to help him.  First, write him EVERY day if you can.  Even if it is only one page.  Their letters mean everything to them!  It will take him about a week to get your letters so don't be surprised if he writes and says he hasn't gotten any letters.  When they start delivering them, he may get 2 or more at a time.

Also, he can have 3 pictures not bigger than 5X7 and they have to have people in them.  In other words, if he has a favortie pet and you want to send a picture, make sure there is a person in the picture, too.  If you send 3 pictures at one time and then want to send more--never send more than TWO at a time because he can only have three at a time and will have to throw away some of the previous ones to keep the new ones (he may be able to send them back to you but I'm not sure) plus if he gets more than 2 at a time after the first ones the LT has to approve them and that takes longer.

He can call home the first weekend after his 30th day.  He can only call a landline not a cell phone and ONLY immediate family.  The phone calls are cut off after only 10 minutes so be prepared for that and tell him when he calls cause he won't know it.  Also, remember that they can listen in so make sure you talk about only things you don't mind them hearing and NO foul language or they can cut off the call.  Also, no swearing in letters or they can keep him from getting them.

He can have his first visit the first week end after his 60th day and HE has to request it so when you write him tell him to request it as soon as he can and tell him the day you want and tell him that day and date cause they only have one chance to request it and if it gets approved then they can request the next one.  The visiting room is small and only about 4 or 5 inmates and families so it is important to get your request in early.  And they do CHECK YOUR VEHICLE and lightly frisk you so be aware of that.  The cleaner your vehicle is, the quicker the check-in goes.

The first time is 20 mintues or so to get you in the computer.  Do not go in the parking lot BEFORE 1:30 cause it is shift change and they will have you leave and come back.  There is a church and The Chocolate Factory across the street to park in if you get there early.
I know this is a lot but there is a lot to know to have things go smoother--or at least as smooth as they can.

The BIG thing is to write and encourage him every chance you get.  Be very careful if you send him a card and make sure it has NO type of picture on it that could be a gang symbol or he will pay for it with push ups and a lot of them.

The address is:
Inmate (his last name) # (his IDOC#)
Vienna Correctional Center/Dixon Springs IIP
6695 State Route 146 East
Vienna, IL 62995

My son has THREE days and a wake up call left and then he will be OUT!  He will be on the board soon to help answer questions.  Also, I saw a man named Dereck is on the "transfer" thread and he just got out in April so he is willing to answer questions too.  You will have a ton of support here so hang in there and count down the days with him.  Put the day and date on each letter cause they have NO clocks or calendars.

GOOD LUCK!!  If you need help, just ask, someone always shows up to help.

Added by Admin 8/23/2012 .. posted by ConcernedMom

Just wanted to share some information that was enclosed in the last letter I received from my son who is at Dixon Springs.  This is information that is given to the inmate regarding visits, phone calls, trust fund and mail privileges.

1. The only people who can visit are immediate family!  EXAMPLE: Mother, Father, Step-Parent, sister, brother, children and Legally married spouse (wife or husband).  They must bring proof of relationship (birth certificates/marriage license).  If you have kids and plan on having someone else bring them for a visit other than the parent or legal guardian, a notarized permission slip giving approval for the visit from the Mother, Father or Legal Guardian must be provided upon entry the date of the visit. NOT: Girlfriend, fiance, friend, aunt, uncle, grandparents.

2. When filling out your visiting and phone list make sure to print neat.  Include full address which means: Street address, city, state and zip.

3. You are allowed visits after 60 days.  Visiting Hours: Arrive between 1:30 PM and 2:00 PM for a 2 hour visit on weekends and holidays.  It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to schedule a visit.  After you fill out your visiting request, turn it in 2 weeks in advance from date of visit for prior approval.  When you name is highlighted on the visiting board outside the counselors office it is approved.  It is then YOUR RESPONSIBLITY to notify your visitors they may come for the visit.

4. Be sure when filling out your visiting and phone list EVERY TIME you write your name to include your number as well.  If you do not know someones address and you receive it at a later date, you can fill out a new visiting list, but must include all previous names as well.

5. Anyone is allowed on your phone list.  You are allowed a collect phone call after 30 days into the program.  Phone calls are made on Saturday and Sunday only.  The person you are trying to call must have called CONSOLIDATED COMMUNICATIONS AT 1-800-235-4416 and stated that you are at the BOOT CAMP and do not have a pin # in order for your phone to go through when you make your phone calls.

6. Your new address here is as follows:

Your Name and Number
Vienna Correctional Center/Dixon Springs IIP
6695 State Route 146 East
Vienna, IL  62995
7.  You may have as many people as you want to attend your graduation - they do NOT have to be immediate family members.

8. PAROLE: The Parole agent will be calling your family/friend you request for parole site host to set up an appointment for a home visit to sign the paperwork in order for your parole site to be approved.   They must answer private/restricted calls to set up this appointment.

9. Trust Fund: Use the business office request slips provided in the dorm.

MAIL PRIVLEDGES
You may receive as many letters as you want, but it is your responsibility to be in possession of no more than 10 letters at one time.  You may either send the excess letters home or throw them away.  For example: You receive 1 letter, then the following week you receive a card for your birthday - That counts as 2 letters.

Offline rollins4

Re: Info On Dixon Springs Boot Camp
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:05 PM »
Hi im new to this and i would like to know what if i dont know the IDOC number because he never wrote me from there yet to get the number

Offline cgs51

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:04:52 PM »
Go to

http://www.idoc.state.il.us/subsections/search/default.asp

type in his last name and it should give you his IDOC# and where he is located

Offline mztironjr

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »
Hi I am also new to this. My boyfriend is at dixon springs boot camp and he just got there this past Tuesday. I sent him an envelope with a lot of letters from myself and his friends. I was wondering is it mandatory for the first phone call to be a land line because if I can accept collect calls on my cell phone do you think it will go through.?? And would he be able to write me often once he get his first write out?? I'm missing him and I need help getting through this so if anyone can help me I will appreciate it. Thanks!  :wc23:

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
Hi I am also new to this. My boyfriend is at dixon springs boot camp and he just got there this past Tuesday. I sent him an envelope with a lot of letters from myself and his friends. I was wondering is it mandatory for the first phone call to be a land line because if I can accept collect calls on my cell phone do you think it will go through.?? And would he be able to write me often once he get his first write out?? I'm missing him and I need help getting through this so if anyone can help me I will appreciate it. Thanks!  :wc23:

I think your questions have been answered in the post above, you might want to go back and reread it again, only a landline is allowed for him to call on and ONLY to immediate family.  

Welcome to IPT, I know this isn't easy on you or Him, but he will make it, just write often with encouragement ....
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline cgs51

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »
mztirojr
I asked my son about the way you sent the letters.  He said the LT will get them and give him 10 of them.  That is all they can have at one time in their possession.  As he gets another letter he will have to throw away one or send it back home.  But, he has not been there long enough to have money on his books so if there are more than 10 he will have to throw some away.
Their rules are VERY strict so be very careful.  Only 10 letters in your possession at one time and only 3 pictures in your possession at one time.  If you send him 3 pictures then only send one or two at a time (not 3 at once again)after that or the LT will have to see them and they get delayed getting to him then.  They can have pictures of family or friends.  Just make sure they are pictures you would show his mom or his CO because he won't get them otherwise.  Also be careful what you write in the letters you send him.  No swearing, not even D***  in place of a swear word or he won't get it, no references to guns, gangs or sex.  Again, make sure you would let his mom read it because his CO will read it.  But do write him as often as you can because the letters mean the world to them.
If I can help you further, I will.  It is tough for him AND you to get through this but YOU BOTH CAN DO IT.  Just hang in there one day at a time and tell him to do the same.  Keep letting him know how much he means to you and his family because they are going to tear him down every minute of every day.  He really needs to know how special he is to you and how much you want him back home.  Only 117 days to go.
Good Luck and keep in touch.

Offline mdrlovesilp

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »
Hi everyone
Its been awhile since my last post.  My boyfriend is doing okay, he misses everyone and apparently the LT has been tough on him.  He has 70 days left.  :wc1: I write to him all the time encouraging him not to quit and that he will be out soon.  I don't know how but I have actually received two calls from him I don't know if its because its an out of state area code but some how I have gotten two phone calls.  I am not trying to put anyones hopes up.  I did not ask him how he was able to call me because I know we are being listened to.  He is still in boot camp I check his status on IDOC website every other day. I did not received a phone call this weekend but he might have called his family.  Hopefully thats the case and he calls me again.  Maybe it was just luck the first two times and I hope he did not get into any serious trouble for the calls. Although he sounded very sad on the phone I was just so happy to hear his voice even if its only for 10 mins. 

I wanted to add more info from cgs51 post of July 3.  In case there is an EMERGENCY and you need to notify your love one you can contact the facility (Dixon/Vienna) at (618)949-3311.  This is only in case of an EMERGENCY its not for let me call just to see how he is doing sorta thing its only for emergency reasons. You do not want to get your loved one in trouble its so hot and humid outside we don't want them to do any more laps than they need to.  I pray no one has to call their loved one with bad news.

Cgs51, I hope you, your son and your grandchildren are doing good.  Its been along time since I've been on IPT but thank you again for all the help and encouragement. 

Thanks mdrlovesilp

Offline cgs51

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »
 :wc7:  YEAH for him and you--69 DAYS and counting down!!!  :wc7:
So glad you got to talk to him.  Some weekends they get phone privileges revoked if someone messes up.  Don't be alarmed if you don't get a call.  Just hang in there with the letters and encouragement.  Believe me, he is so very proud of you for what you are doing.  He is just so drained it's hard for him to express anything right now.
Hang in there and let him know he has a lot of people rooting for him.  And you are right, THEY are listening on those calls AND reading his letters before he does.
It is almost half over!!  Just remember, one day at a time--that is all God gives us cause he knows we can handle that much.
My son is still job hunting and I am visiting my grandchildren in Indiana with him today and tomorrow.  They are FANTASTIC, but then I am a little biased I guess LOL.
Our best to both of you.

Offline cgs51

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »
My son told me that the guys/gals at Dixon Springs CAN call a cell phone if it is set up to receive their calls.  You need to talk to Consolidated and tell them you want to receive calls from boot camp on your cell and they can set up a type of prepay account that seems to allow this.  Also, contact your cell phone provider to make sure all is OK with them.  He also said they can all anyone--as long as they are not at another prison (unless the warden OKs it)--by just putting their number down on their phone list.
This is different info from what I had previously so I wanted to post it to make sure everyone can talk to their LO.  Those calls are truly gold to them and us so the more we can receive, the better.
Remember they can not call til the first week-end AFTER their 30th day there.  The calls come on Saturday or Sunday only and the times can vary according to the unit they are in and the COs decisions--if someone messes up, phone priveleges can be denied for that day.
Good Luck to everyone and your LO.  It's a tough 120 days but it can be done!

Offline mdrlovesilp

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 07:33:47 PM »
Hi cgs51

Its been along time since I logged into the IPT I hope you, your grandchildren and son are doing good. I got a phone call early this morning at 7 it was great hearing from him cause he lost his phone privilege last week this has been only the second time.  The first time was because he had to many letters in his possession this time I don't know. I haven't received any letters cause the LTs are not giving them time to write.  So everyone out their wondering where the letters are the LTs have been very tough on them lately.
Also they do read the letters cause my boyfriend's friend sent him a letter with a lot of profanity and they returned it so watch what you say.   

The great news is my boyfriend has 39 days left! Time is going by fast I love it.   :wc1:
I told him to keep up the good work and to hold on cause his graduation is just around the corner.  His parents are going to visit him in 0ct which I am so excited for them. So my question is and I know its probably somewhere around here but I was wondering do they have to report to Vienna C&C first cause that is the only address we have and the CO told my boyfriend that Dixon Springs is 15 miles away from Vienna near a chocolate factory. Please will you help me out I want to help them out since its their first trip and its about a 6 hour drive from Chicago for them. 
Thanks a lot 

Offline cgs51

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:01:39 PM »
CONGRATS on the 26 days to go!!
No his parents go straight past Vienna CC to Dixon Springs about 10 miles down the road (it is right acroos the street from The Chocolate Factory).  They can check in at 1:30 NO SOONER and their car will be searched in the parking lot--CLEAN it out, they can be very picky.  Then they go inside and get put in the computer.  The first time takes the longest because of that (unless they have visited him previously at another facility and they might be in the computer). They can not take anything in with them except their ID and car keys--there are no vending machines or lockers.  If his last name is different than their's they will have to take his birth certificate and their marriage license--they are VERY strict on this.  The room is very small, about 4-5 tables for 4 people.  The COs do stay outside the room.  They can hug him when he comes in and hug him when they leave.  You are allowed to stay until 3:30--sometimes up til 4PM and then the inmates leave the room and you leave.  It is a short period of time but well worth the drive--I drove 4 hours to get there.  There is a nice motel at Vienna if they want to go the day before and stay all night there which is what I did once or twice.  I made sure to have a room the night before he graduated so he could go back to the room (they graduate at 8:30 am) and shower and get something to eat before we left for home.  The main thing he wanted was a REAL shower with REAL soap and McDonalds for breakfast LOL (the McDonalds in Vienna is next door to the motel--it is a Limited Inn).
If you have any other questions, just ask.

Offline mdrlovesilp

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »
Thanks again cgs51 for all the info.
Actually its 31 days left today, he quit for a day so his release is on the 29th of october instead of the 28th.  I'm just happy that he is getting out sooner than later.  Its crazy how time goes by so fast.  He has made it this far, I have faith that he will be able to complete the program.  After boot camp we have to worry about house arrest and parole but at least I will be able to be with him.
Thanks
mdrlovesilp

Offline angeleyes

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »
hi everyone. i finally got my first letter.   i am so happy. he says it is very rough. they do alot of standing and are not allowed to sit except to eat and use the br. i was wondering if anyone could tell me when they can have money on their books. i sent him $40 in stateville and then another $40 in bootcamp he says he never received notice of wither of them. :wc1:
missin my son

Offline Bradsgirl

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
how soon did you guys receive a letter? He sent one letter right when he got there to inform us he was in boot camp. But nothing since then and its been over 2 weeks since he has been there :(

Offline cgs51

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »
To Angeleyes
If you mailed the money order it can take two or three weeks for them to get it on their books but it will get there.  In boot camp he can only use it for postage and a soda or candy bar after he gets his essentials so the amounts you sent are more than enough.  Tell him if he gets the prestamped envelopes you will get his letters faster cause they don't have to go through Vienna.  Anything he does not use is returned to him the day of graduation in a check he can cash in Vienna (the town) without an ID.

To Bradsgirl
Hang in there.  He can not write out in the first TWO weeks of boot camp while he is a ghost except for the info letter.  Then when he gets time to write, it takes about a week for you to get the letter.  Just keep writing to him and supporting him--the letters are like gold for them!

Good Luck to all of you.

Offline Bradsgirl

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
thanks so much for the response! I feel a lot better now! Hopefully a letter will come soon!

Offline Bradsgirl

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
is house arrest mandatory with boot camp? Ive heard yes and ive heard no so im confused

Offline cgs51

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 11:20:48 PM »
No, house arrest is not mandatory.  He will get his parole packet one week before he graduates and it will tell him the particulars of his parole. 

Offline mztironjr

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 11:59:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since my last post. My boyfriend is doing as well as can be expected. He got 91 days left. It's a new rule now that if you get 3 P-R's then you gone, and he got two. I hope and pray they dont send him home. He calls me every weekend and we write eachother back and forth continuosly. I accidentally sent him some computer pics because I was writing him a letter from my computer. I didn't know until he wrote me yesterday that he couldn't receive those. I'm wondering if he will get in trouble or wuld they simply wont give it to him??? He can't afford to get in trouble anymore. When he get out Jan 1st he will be on parol is that the same as house arrest.????I'm still holding on and it is very hard!!!! He gets visits now but he said he didnt want neither me or his family to come see him because it'll hurt him too bad to see us leave. If I'm on his visitor list can I just show up to see him?? Would they let me see him if he dont know about it??

mZ TiRoN Jr.

Offline cgs51

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »
They will not give the pictures to him but should not be any trouble for him.  You may want to read more on this site about boot camp as it is posted to send ONLY pictures on photo paper and not from a computer as they do not allow them.

Parole is not the same as house arrest.

NO you can not visit unless HE requests the visit.  He must request it and it be approved BEFORE anyone is allowed to visit him. It would definitely be a waste of your time to "just show up" as they would turn you away and he would not even know you were there.

I know this is HARD (I have been where you are) for you and him but you can do it.  I sincerely hope he can keep from getting into any more trouble and makes it through OK.  It is a really tough program and he will learn alot about himself by making it to graduation.  You are doing all you can by writing him and supporting him with encouragement and assurances that he IS loved and missed by you and his family.
The best of luck to both of you.