• October 20, 2018, 06:15:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Uniform Colors and What they Mean  (Read 67773 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re: Uniform Colors and What they Mean
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 10:02:29 AM »
That's right....they have to wait to request a transfer.  Most Illinois prisons are placed in remote areas of the state on purpose....for security and also most populated areas don't want a prison in their backyard.  I also believe inmates are placed at opposite ends of the state to inhibit them from escaping and also to limit their family contact.  If you were able to visit them on a regular weekly basis you probably wouldn't feel the need to feed the telephone kickback fund...The prisons aren't fond of handling visitors and this also cuts down on the amount of visitors they have to deal with.
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline loving_Liz

• My sweatheart LIZ
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
TY everyone just got notice he is been moved to Vandalia  :wc23:

Females where blue pants and white shirts. They can buy blue shirts if they want to.

Offline ChicagoTarheel

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »
I am confused about the colors.  My LO has been in blue since being at East Moline and I just checked and his picture has him in a yellow jumpsuit.  Does this mean he is getting ready to transfer?  His letters have been really delayed so it's been a couple of weeks since I've heard from him.  He is supposed to get out in less than 6 months.  Can anyone help? 

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
Yellow means he's moving somewhere...to another prison or on a writ to court....what does his webpage say? 
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ChicagoTarheel

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 06:54:38 PM »
The IDOC website still says In Custody at East Moline.  I will keep checking back to see if they update it.

Offline ChicagoTarheel

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
Dazzler,

I hope you see this.  My LO was transferred to Dixon, his IDOC page updated last night.  I have another question . . . I just set up consolidated account 15 minutes ago.  My LO called me shortly after. . . Did he get a message that the account is in process of being set up when he called?  I really want to talk to him today but am worried he won't try back if he thinks the account is not set up.  THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!  I can't wait to talk to him.  It's been way too long !

Offline kidz ladii

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 12:30:04 PM »
I know that blue is the color they wear once they hit where they are supposed to be. My man told me that the ones in yellow are the transfers.

I know that in county you wear a yellow or orange jumpsuit if you are a shanker lol.

Offline Still love my son

• ONE DAY AT A TIME.........
  • David Cook Rocked in St Louis 7/18/08!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »
 :hthank:

Well there was a TIME when Yellow meant being transported BUT
My son has been in for almost a year, and has been in YELLOW the whole time, must be more BUDGET savings to NOT UPDATE PICS!!!!  I know a couple inmates that were transported earlier this year and they all still show up in YELLOW from when they arrived MONTHS ago..............................                    :wc41:

Offline kamiller

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
So is he still actually wearing yellow or is it just the in the pic?  I think they only update pics once a year unless they get transferred or appearence change.

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
He is WEARING YELLOW in the PIC, but not everyday he is in blues and whatever they only stay in yellow DURING transport.

My POINT was there are many inmates right now on the DOC site that are in YELLOW but they are NOT in transit!!!!

Offline kamiller

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »
Yeah I think that's just because they got there pic changed when they were in transit and then there is no reason to take there pic again when they change to blue.  But with these budget cuts it could be possible that they are staying in yellow just to save a few bucks on uniforms.

Offline pschuh

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
My son is in white at Statesville in R&C; does all prisons have the color "blue"?

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
White, I believe, is the color they are assigned while in R&C. When he is transferred to his parent facility, he will be given a yellow uniform. Once at the new place and settled in, he will be given his blues.

Offline IloveDCfrombooneco

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »
My man was in Stateville R&C from Feb 25th till they transferred him March 8th ( to Vandalia) and in his picture he was in yellow, I know here in the county he was in orange and white, so I'm assuming the yellow was givin to him in R&C.

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 10:21:14 AM »
Yellow is the "moving" color. He was given that uniform when sent to Vandalia. In a couple of weeks, he'll switch to the normal blues. That change probably won't show up on his IDOC pic. Perhaps due to the budget crunch, they aren't updating the pics everytime there is a change. Just wanted to warn you so you wouldn't get upet if his picture shows him in yellow for a long time.

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »
 :wc71-1:

I miss the PIC updates-That Yellow is BUTT ugly-
Would prefer to see the BLUES!!!!!!!       :wc17:

Offline Marks_guy

• Support Staff
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 09:54:02 PM »
I agree. M has the skin tone to pull off the yellow, but he looks dang good in blue.

Offline IloveDCfrombooneco

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
Marks_Guy what I should have said was my man was in orange/white in county, they transferred him on Feb 25th to Stateville, I checked Doc website and he was in yellow until the 3-8, when I got a call from vine at 2:34p.m that he was being transferred to Vandalia, by 4p.m his new pic was posted in his blues, so maybe he stays in yellow while in R&C, because they know he will be transferring when a bed opens up? Just a guess, as I'm still new to all of this.

Offline kenken

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 11:29:44 PM »
As a former Inmate of D.O.C. this is an easy question.....Yellow jump suites are for intake (R&C) and for transfers, inmates will have a yellow jumpsuit on for their intial picture.  Once placed in General population, you get your state blues.  Consisting of 3 button up blue shirts, 3 blue pants, and a blue "state" coat.  Brown jumpsuits are for inmates in SEG status, or SEG TRANSFERS.  Inmates with a blue uniform and a orange stripe are either in a work camp, or they have outside clearance. 

Offline kemos girl

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
My friends man was released today and in his pic he's wearing all white, Any idea why white?