Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 30, 2014, 09:11:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending Money Through Western Union  (Read 13085 times)
natalieD

« on: October 30, 2008, 01:42:45 PM »

i received a letter from my boyfriend today asking me to send him some money for commissary, because the money his mom sent him while he was at county is going to take several weeks to catch up with him. he's at lawrence correctional center. i want to send money through quick collect, but it shows "lawrenceville corrections" as the only option, not "lawrence." i know there is a lawrenceville cc somewhere in a southern state, so i don't want to take any chances. if i send the money through quick collect to the "illinois dept. of corrections" option, will it reach him even though it isn't being sent directly to his parent facility?

...all i want now is happiness for you and me...
              <3 forever and a day <3
      omnia vincit amor -- love conquers all
jsangel

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »

natalieD

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »

jsangel,
 wc38 i appreciate it!

...all i want now is happiness for you and me...
              <3 forever and a day <3
      omnia vincit amor -- love conquers all
jsangel

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »

hilde1951

This is my Little buddie...

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »

Hi,

I've always used Western Union, until I counted up what the fee's have come too....it's not cheap.

It's fast, and they haven't lost one yet...but if you have to send more than once a month...it adds up quickly.  I've told my son that unless it's an emergency....I'm going to send Money Orders...I have somewhat of a fixed income and the fee's are getting too much for me.

Hilde
jsangel

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »

vicb66

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 09:44:12 AM »

Western Union online is the only way to go.  Go to www.westernunion.com
and in the pay a bill section.  Choose send money to an inmate.  Then choose Illinois Dept of Corrections. Then you have to register your account.Then they ask you the name and you enter the inmates number plus his last name no space.
And then in the box below. I believe it's the attention to part. There you put his entire name.  Then follow the rest of the instructions.Then once you set it up you can do it witout all of the headache.

Marks_guy
Support Staff

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »

Thanks for the Western Union instructions. I was so confused about what to put in which spots! LOL
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »

There are so many Western Union topics on IPT it's sometimes confusing.  The code city for the IDOC is IL DOC....you'll need that to Quick Collect.  The money is posted usually within two days.  If you send money orders they must be in increments of $50 each.  You can send as many as you like but only up to $50 each.  This is supposed to cut down on the temptation of theft by the staff I guess...

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
vsaucedo

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »

This is the first time my boyfriend has gone to idoc. his parents sent him a money order threw the mail but i think that is going to take forever. i wanna send him somw threw the western union website but idk the account #. How do i find that out?
MariaL

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »

There is no account #

company name: Illinois Department of Corrections

code: IDOC/IL

attention or reception: his full name and ID number

Love is not finding the perfect person but seeing an imperfect person perfectly
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »

This is the first time my boyfriend has gone to idoc. his parents sent him a money order threw the mail but i think that is going to take forever. i wanna send him somw threw the western union website but idk the account #. How do i find that out?

Is he in R&C or at his parent prison   If he is still in R&C, I would wait till he gets to his parent prison so that he does not have to wait for his money to be transferred once he is moved. You can also send money by Jpay and we have a topic on this also on IPT.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Pamalynn

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »

I sent my l/o money thru Western Union today, hopefully he will get it in time to order his commissary items.  It was very reasonable $ 9.00 to send $ 500.00 thru Meijer Store. I looked up a quote for sending it on-line and it would have been $ 40.00. Thanks for the info, I would never have guessed there would be such a difference in rates.

You can search the world for happiness, but you won't find it. Happiness is the way you travel, not a destination.
chippyn

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 07:31:32 AM »

Hi all. Ok quick question, im going to western union my LO at Menard money today. I've never done it before. I know that under comp. Biller  ifo i put ILDOC and that under account # i put my LO's ID number and last name with no space. But is there anything else i need to know? Im just not sure what else their gonna want me to fill out in that form.
lurios2

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:53 AM »

Are you using the blue "payments Quick Collect" form? In "pay to" I put his first and last name and ID number. Then in account number I do his last name and ID number, then in Code City you put ILDOC. Good luck!

~People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care~
chippyn

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »

Hi:) ok my LO just got moved to states ville. How do i western union him money??? And how do i fill out that piece of paper? Thank you!!
jcruz1104

Always & Forever "Just Us"

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »

if he is s'vilel and R&C u may want to wait they cant go to store. I sent money to my hubby while there it took a month to catch up to him. Along with all his mail. he didnt get anything until he got to his parent faclity.

but if he can
it is the Blue Quick Collect form
send amount: $
Pay to: Illinoise Department of Corrections
Acct name: Id# & Last name of inmate
CodeCity: ILDOC/IL
Your info

Thats is how i have done it and been no problesm

& he said to me "the level you think i love you is way more then you can imagine, we all we got"
pac5401

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Sending Western Union to Lawrence Correctional using online service question -

When I go to the Western Union website and check on Inmate Account, all I find on the list is LawrenceVILLE Correctional; and if I try to put his number in either name field on the "send money" form; it won't accept it with a number in any of the name fields.

Is Lawrenceville actually Lawrence Correctional?

I don't want to just send money out into cyberspace.

Marks_guy
Support Staff

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »

NOPE! It is not the same. All Western Union transfers go through a central system, not the specific prisons. Just scroll up a few posts, and you will see exactly what to enter in each box.
Shaun958

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 04:20:22 PM »

If you send it to the lawrenceville option on there it will go to pennsylvania.  I know because this happened to me the first time family sent me money when I was in lawrence.  You need the persons name, doc number, and some other info I cant remember.  You should be able to call western union and they can walk you through it, thats what my family did the first time they sent money to me.  I hope this helps.
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: