• December 18, 2018, 05:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: Re-entry and the X Offender  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Forevermah

• Technical Goddess
  • Administrator
    • Illinois Prison Talk
Re-entry and the X Offender
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:46:08 AM »
author unknown

ESPECIALLY FOR THE OFFENDER

1. Leave hate, anger and self -pity behind you in prison. Seek new energy and joy to make life worth living.

2.Treat others as you want to be treated.

3. Let yourself be a part of the world. Don't be overcome by fear and isolate yourself.

4. Be prepared for change. The world has changed and so have you.

5. Be prepared for rejection and disappointment. Don't expect any favors. This is the way of the world.

6. If you are assigned to a halfway house, be careful. You aren't free yet, there are many trips ahead.

7. Report to your parole officer immediately after your release. ALWAYS report to your parole officer on time.

8. Make finding a job your first job. Don't let your ego overrule your reason or your mouth overload your ass.

from book 99 days and a wake up

ESPECIALLY FOR THE OFFENDER WHEN YOU ARE HOME

1. Expect Anxiety - Stay Calm. Don't upload your stress on each other on those around you.

2. Communicate with each other honestly and openly. Share your hopes and fears. Don't withdrawl from each other.

3. Beware of false expectations. Don't expect everything to go just as you hope and plan.

4. Make plans for short - term survival and set goals for long range growth. BUT stay flexible.

5. Don't make decisions that will effect your long range future NOW. Wait until the stress of release has passed and your vision is clearer.

ESPECIALLY FOR LOVED ONES WHO WELCOME OUR INMATES
1. Be prepared for life to get harder before it gets easier

2. Encourage and support the releasee when he or she is acting in good faith. BUT don't try to take care of him, THIS IS HIS JOB.

3. Don't nag or try to control the releasee. This will have the opposite result from what you want.

4.You must, before all else, remember to take care of yourself. If you need help in dealing with the new changes that come after your love ones returns, GO GET IT, even if he or she won't go with you.

5. Just as it requited a long time to adjust to having someone you love in prison, expect the adjustments after release to be equally demanding. As with the newly released prisoner, PATIENCE and PERSISTENCE are essential.

6. Enjoy life... you've earned it.

This comes from a program my son received.

Offender and Family: Things to Expect

1. Expect shock, confusion and depression at first

2. Communicate - share your thoughts and feelings

3. BE Patient with yourself and each other

4. Work to build a new relationship based on friendship and respect, you both have changed in many ways.

5. Focus on survival needs for the first three months.

6.Try new ways to have a good time.

7. If you run into problems you can't solve, get help

8.Measure success by your daily achievements ( GROW)

9. Be willing to accept advice and supervision

10 Don't try to play catch up on all the time you have lost. It can't be done.

11. Keep working toward your goals Revise your planns as often as you have to but "NEVER GIVE UP"

12. No Matter how bad it gets, just be glad you're not in the penitentiary.

from book 99 days and a wake up
Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”

Offline Chell771

• Waiting 4 Him
Re: Re-entry and the X Offender
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
 :wc38:

I made a copy of this to put on the fridge!

Again, thanks for sharing!

Offline vicb66

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
I sent a copy to my sweetie.  He's got less than 4 months to go.I'm hoping it "sinks in" for both of us.

Vicki

Offline Chell771

• Waiting 4 Him
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
Oh that's a good idea, I will send my LO a copy too.  Finally the two years is about up...yeah!!!

Offline missbaldwin

• you have to love her or hem lol
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:28:50 AM »
 You no I wish I would have had that list when I met my lo. Came home from doing 10 years